Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation and review of the Aroham Yoke for my 2021 MY Performance (9/7/21 build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Aroham sells many yoke styles, shapes and finishes, so choices are many. I chose this more rounded yoke, as compared to the Telsa OEM yoke in my MS Plaid.

My Aroham Yoke

I ordered the one with the same vegan leather as the Plaid, and also the heated option, as my MYP has a heated wheel from the factory. It took only two weeks and two days from order to delivery – Pretty good or a China sourced product.

Installation:
  • Open all doors and roll down windows
  • Turn off the car, via the UI in “Safety” tab.
  • Disconnect 12v under Frunk cover. I have a biodefense MY, so it took a little more effort to get to 12v battery than, say, a Model 3.
  • Disconnect the HV main pack connector – located under the rear seat on the passenger’s side
  • Using two Allen wrenches, pop the air bag
  • Remove airbag module and other connector carefully. Note that the connector tabs need to be depressed before trying to pull the connector
  • Using a breaker bar, remove the nut securing the wheel to the car; rock wheel until loose and remove.
  • Since I have the heated option, I chose to reuse all of the internal guts of my OEM Wheel, including the face plates. I also have to remove the heater tape connector from the OEM wheel and reused it on the new yoke (I used a soldering iron, heat gun, shrink sleeving and electrical tape to produce an OEM quality connection
  • Install new Yoke assembly in reverse order

Impressions:
  • Quality of yoke is the same as Tesla OEM, as they start with the Tesla wheel core. Every yoke is custom made and Aroham provides pictures of your specific wheel before shipping, to make sure it meets with your satisfaction
  • The Plaid’s yoke is wide, and blocks the lower left corner of the main screen. This more rounded and less wide yoke does not block the MYP’s main screen at all
  • This yoke has higher upper tips (aka, nubs) than the Plaid; more to grab and hang on to. Need to go a little more side by side driving to confirm this is actually better than the Plaid’s shorter nubs.
  • Since I’m very used to the yoke from my Plaid, I have no concerns driving this yoke, as compared to the Plaid’s.
  • This yoke is nice and thick; very comfortable. I believe it is a bit thicker than the Plaid’s, and is quite heavy.
  • I do like the yoke stalks combination better than the Plaid’s yoke and all controls on the wheel face – including the F’n horn button.
  • Definitely prefer this new yoke’s horn; which uses the Tesla airbag as the main switch. The Plaid has a tiny button on the right side of the yoke that you have to find and press in an emergency.

Another great thread on this subject to review is this one. I've also included a lot of pictures of the disassembly and reassembly of the wheel and new yoke starting here.

Questions welcome!

Y1.jpg
y3.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. I've been thinking about it in the MY for a while and I'm tempted. I have the white interior (your wood dash!!) as well.

Weak excuse: I'm waiting for a CT and need to decide what we're going to do with the MY.
@mark95476 Re wood, I bought a new piece of trim from Tesla, and refinished it in walnut to match my Plaid. I figure the MYP will keep me good until my number is up on the CT. I might just pass on the CT, depending on what actually gets released, when and at what price. I ordered on on Launch night two years ago. DM.

OP, I'm thinking of going non-nub: 509.6US $ 51% OFF|For Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel Model Y Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020 Foaming Process Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel No Heating|Steering Wheels & Steering Wheel Hubs| - AliExpress

I know you said that you'd do more side-by-side between your Plaid and the nub version in your MYP. But just based on what you've done so far, what's your verdict? To nub or not to nub?? :D
@jf64k I like the nubs and rounded base better, driving wise!

OP, I'm thinking of going non-nub: 509.6US $ 51% OFF|For Tesla Yoke Steering Wheel Model Y Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020 Foaming Process Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel No Heating|Steering Wheels & Steering Wheel Hubs| - AliExpress

I know you said that you'd do more side-by-side between your Plaid and the nub version in your MYP. But just based on what you've done so far, what's your verdict? To nub or not to nub?? :D
As an FYI, I just installed the one mentioned in your above post. See attached photo. I’ll be able to drive it more this weekend, but so far I feel the smaller top nub on this one provides enough area for my thumb and fingers to grab onto while making turns. Therefore, my initial thought is, the yoke with the larger nub is not necessary (if your goal is to have something extra to grab onto). Of course, if you simply like the look/style of the larger nub, then that yoke is a great choice. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Also, something else to be aware of is, the yoke with the larger nub has stitching around the top section of the nub, which makes the stitching more visible.
The one I got does not have as much stitching in that area, and the location of the stitching is more on the back side of the yoke (rather than on the top of the yoke).
Probably a minor detail/difference for most folks.

Here’s a link to another thread where I posted additional photos and further discussions.

Post in thread '2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel'
2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel

1B2F50FC-BEB9-4231-B640-A384A37C6A19.jpeg

As an FYI, I just installed the one mentioned in your above post. See attached photo. I’ll be able to drive it more this weekend, but so far I feel the smaller top nub on this one provides enough area for my thumb and fingers to grab onto while making turns. Therefore, my initial thought is, the yoke with the larger nub is not necessary (if your goal is to have something extra to grab onto). Of course, if you simply like the look/style of the larger nub, then that yoke is a great choice. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Also, something else to be aware of is, the yoke with the larger nub has stitching around the top section of the nub, which makes the stitching more visible.
The one I got does not have as much stitching in that area, and the location of the stitching is more on the back side of the yoke (rather than on the top of the yoke).

Here’s a link to another thread where I posted additional photos and further discussions.

View attachment 716658
Yep, different strokes for different folks. I have the minimal nub like @GreenHokie in my Plaid and it’s just fine. I do prefer the look of the Plaid yoke, but prefer driving with my nub and more rounded Aroham yoke now in my MYP - better control and comfort. Will really be a factor when/if FSD happens.

Reactions: mark95476
I get glare from the white dash trim and have been thinking about something like what you've done.

If I had a Plaid and MYP then I'd probably install the yoke and maybe pass on the CT too! 👍

@mark95476 Re wood, I bought a new piece of trim from Tesla, and refinished it in walnut to match my Plaid. I figure the MYP will keep me good until my number is up on the CT. I might just pass on the CT, depending on what actually gets released, when and at what price. I ordered on on Launch night two years ago. DM.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc

View attachment 716658
@GreenHokie REALLY appreciate the install pics!! Looks great. Do you feel the more squared off bottom interferes in any way?

@jf64k You are welcome of course. I believe the one I have is smaller than the yoke found in the Model S. So, when I need to turn the yoke, it does not hit the top of my legs or interfere with anything else. I did end up raising the steering column slightly to compensate for the squared lower corners. Once I did that, the yoke was in the perfect position for me. I think it’s the perfect size for the 3/Y. Absolutely loving it so far!!!

@jf64k You are welcome of course. I believe the one I have is smaller than the yoke found in the Model S. So, when I need to turn the yoke, it does not hit the top of my legs or interfere with anything else. I did end up raising the steering column slightly to compensate for the squared lower corners. Once I did that, the yoke was in the perfect position for me. I think it’s the perfect size for the 3/Y. Absolutely loving it so far!!!
This sold me. Just placed an order directly with Aroham. They estimate 10 days.

Reactions: GeezerSquid