Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation of 14-50 outlet and upgrade house electrical system to 200 AMP from 100 AMP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TimCMass Just FYI: my panel is a Siemens MC2040B1200EFC. Seems to be a common (inexpensive?) panel available from HomeDepot, Lowes and Amazon for about $200.
SeimensPanelLabel.jpg

SeimensPanelClosed.jpg

SeimensPanelOpened.jpg

edit: I should add that this was an emergency action as our entire house was suddenly without power. Power went out on late on a weekday night and wasn't restored for a couple of days. I really wasn't in a mood to shop around for quotes. Did I pay too much? Probably. Did the tech realize my predicament? Yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and TimCMass
Just some black of the napkin estimations:

Parts:
1 $220 - Panel
7 $20 - Single Pole Breakers (20 Amp)
4 $40 - Double Pole Breakers (50 Amp)
_____
$520 Total Parts (Retal).
Typical uncharge would be cost plus 20% = $624
No idea about the service lines or underground infrastructure needs.

Let's estimate permitting at $150.

My guess would be 8 hours or labor but might it have been as high as 16 hours at $___per hour.

The internet tells me:
Cost of Electrical for Remodel or Addition in San Jose, California
$121.26 per hour (plus materials and parts) (Range: $114.80 - $127.72)
I'm sure locals will disagree, but that's what I see.

Double that for weekend or emergency work.

Low end - Eight hours of labor at 1x rate. $970 + $624 + $150 = $1744.
High end - 16 hours labor at 2x rate. $3880 + $624 + $150 = $4,654

Plus Tax = ??

You were quoted and paid $4300 so it's not inconceivable given this was en emergency job.

I'm in MA and just had a similar job done. I used Northern Lights (a Tesla recommended installer). They came in lower than my regular electrician quote and it was a big job. 200 panel, raised a mast, two new sub panels, etc. DM me if you have any questions.

FYI, in many cases there is another option to upgrading the whole panel. This solution is quite common in condos where either billing has to be on the owners meter or when the panel is too small for the application. The DCC-9 goes between the meter and your panel (works when the panel is remote or inadequate), while the DCC-10 goes after your panel - good for when the panel capacity is too low but you have open breakers and the panel is near where you charge.

The DCC-10 monitors the load level in the panel and if it exceeds 80%, it turns off the EV charging. If you mostly charge at night, you'll probably never hit the limit.

They cost around $1000, plus installation, but that's Canadian $, so about 6 bucks to you ...they come in 30,40,50 and 60 amp versions.

DCC-9 and DCC-10 Info

Reactions: TimCMass
So I shopped around a bit and contacted 3 more electricians. Finally found one that seems to do quality work and had fair pricing. Total cost to upgrade to a 200 AMP service is $3300. In addition, I also decided on hardwiring a Juicbox 48 amp charger in the garage instead of a 14-50 outlet. Cost to hardwire the charger to a new 60 AMP circuit was $700, permit and inspection = $150, for a total of $4150. Definitely way cheaper than the original quote.

Looking to have the upgrade around Labor Day. Hopefully it'll be a little cooler that day since they will most likely turn off the power for about a day.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

• Informative
Reactions: tilt and ncinc99