TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installation of radar detector, laser jammers, and electromagnetic parking sensors

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, May 10, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    This evening I tool the first steps to complete the installation in my Model S of the Passport 8500ci radar detector, Blinder HP-905 Quad Compact Laser Jammer, and the Parking Dynamics electromagnetic parking sensors. All will be installed in or behind the nose cone. My goal tonight was to get everything set up in the nose cone and complete the wiring tomorrow and final set-up and testing on Sunday. All of this will be controlled from a custom built control box mounted in the cubby. Several previous posts describe this cubby control box, mounting of the Parking Dynamics foil sensor tape on the back of the nose cone and installation of the Blinder transponders in the nose cone. Pete8314 also has an extensive post on removing the nosecone and taking apart the cubby so I'll not go through all of that.

I mounted the radar receiver on the metal cross bar behind the nose cone, along with the EZPass transponder (tilted at about a 60 degree angle), two RJ-45 dual jacks to connect the Blinder transponders from the nose cone leads. The coaxial cable for the Parking Dynamics foil sensor in the nose cone (which can't be seen in the photos below) runs behind the cross bar. I used heavy duty self-stick Velcro to attach the radar receiver to the cross bar and trusty Goop (great stuff for sticking just about anything) to hold the EZPass transponder and RJ-45 jacks in place.

Here are some photos of the various hardware behind the nose cone.

DSC_3314.JPG

DSC_3323.JPG

Once all of this hardware was installed I popped in the spare nose cone I had prepared about a month ago with the carbon fiber vinyl wrap and the Blinder 905 transponders already installed. Here are a few shots of the nose cone on the car and some details of the Blinder transponders.

DSC_3327.JPG

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3337.JPG

DSC_3339.JPG

Tomorrow my goal is to run the wiring and power it all up for testing. So by the end of the weekend I should to be able to report on how well the Parking Dynamics system works.

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

You've got a set on you.... Nice work!

3. Ohms.Law

Ohms.Law Member

Artsci I hope you're planning on doing this inside tomorrow because we're looking at rain, rain, rain here.

It's my fault; I washed the car this evening.

4. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Looking good

5. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Nice work....and nice clogs, lol. :wink:

6. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I know this post is old but was looking for customers who installed countermeasures on the Model S and I must say this was an excellent install on the jammer heads.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If you're referring to mine, thanks! I did a lot of research on the various countermeasures sites and determined that this was the optimal placement of the heads. Not stealth but I learned that stealth also hides the heads from the incoming laser. Not good.

8. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

artsci,

I have the same Blinder kit (just arrived). Where did you opt to install the control box? I have a previous Blinder model on another vehicle of mine, and there is no such controller for that model (it's about 8 years old now and still works perfect--Blinder makes a good product!)...but that model only has the interior siren. Since I have the parking sensors on my MS, I don't anticipate using the Blinder's and may just hide the control box under the dash and leave it on the same settings all the time. But, I'd be interested to hear (or see) of your placement. Thanks.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#10 artsci, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    The control box is in the control panel I made that fits under the cubby.

DSC_3174.JPG

DSC_3185.JPG

DSC_3186.JPG

DSC_3392.JPG

10. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Thanks. Very nice install (as usual)...always impressed with your work.

11. ausdma

ausdma Member

12. dratifk

dratifk Sorry Sold my *****

Artsci was wondering if this box for the cubby is the actual cubby you converted vs a drop in box you prefabricated. The only thing I really need access to is the on/off Switch for the Laser inteceptor, on/off for the curb alert and the Bel Sti-r display and controls. The usb upgrade cables for the LI and Bel can lie anywhere easily accessable. My install is happening next tue at the stereo shop who have done my installs on al my cars. I'm thinking of doing the Lukas 7900 Cameras myself using the mic power tap.

13. SBerg

SBerg Member

A note of caution, I installed a Valentine 1 on the bar where OP mounted the junction boxes and discovered that water does get to that bar. I ended up moving my other V-1 inside the frunk and it works quite well there and is not exposed to rain or car wash water.

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I bought an extra cubby and fabricated a front for the devices and modified it a bit so everything would fit.

15. Zybane

Zybane Member

Nice install! A bit of a thread necro. My only comment is it may have been better to keep the regular gloss black nose cone, seeing as the sensors are gloss black. That would have made it a bit more stealthy. The matte CF makes the gloss black sensors stand out more.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It's all gloss now.

_DSC4730.JPG

_DSC4807.JPG

17. Zybane

Zybane Member

Did you change the sensor positions?

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I have two carbon fiber nose ones, one with laser snsors one without. These photos were taken with the non-sensor version.

19. Jeff65

Jeff65 Member

Artsci,
    I am getting ready to take the plunge. Does the laser detector work well behind the nose cone? Since it does not have actual line of sight, I thought it might have degraded performance (laser, not radar).

Jeff