TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installation of Radar Detector

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by KR1005, Oct 4, 2014.

1. KR1005

KR1005 Member

Has anyone managed to install a radar detector to their MS? Where can I get a 12V supply or is there any car shop in HK that you would recommend installing it to a MS?
    Thanks

2. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

radar detector does not work in hk, only thing that really work is stinger but its $$$

3. YW-Slayer

YW-Slayer Member

Radar detectors do work, at least a Valentine One in large "L" or "A" mode does. I would imagine something like the Beltronics STI Type-R would as well. Which one you buy depends how much advance notice you want. As for the Stinger, that also includes radar detector functionality.

Having said that, I wouldn't bring a Stinger into HK with the laser jammer function enabled, or even (if possible) with the relevant circuitry.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I use a Passport 9500ix, and it works well. But, that is radar+laser.

5. KR1005

KR1005 Member

Did you install it yourself or get someone to install it for you?
    I need mine installed and not sure if I should install it myself.

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The 9500ix is windshield mount. I installed it myself, but that was in a roadster.

There are quite a few articles on this board about tapping the 12V in the model S.

It would be good for the HK members here to find one or two installers familiar with the model S and frequent them for things like this.