Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation scheduled - what to ask/plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
We are scheduled for Installation on sep-30 , 5.1kw system, with 15panels in Bay area.
I started with 4kw system, but after second thought , decided to increase to 5.1kw as it's better to be on higher side.
Most of the panels are in either SE or S facing.
Also, got text from advisor, they will put inverter in garage.
I had permit for 4kw earlier, but then increased to 5.1kw without much delay. it took about two weeks, so overall , no issues so far.
Now the fun begins.... Looking for tips during installation/post installation and PTO.
I've read many threads.... but again most recent exp. will help.
One thing I learned was to ask for panel mapping diagram in the end. That will help identify which panel went bad.
Any other tips ?
Thanks a lot.

Hi Hay2000,

Thanks for sharing the information. I'm in Bay area as well, in Cupertino. I just signup the Tesla for a 4.08kW system last week. Just like to you I added two more panels get to 4.760kW. Within just 2 days, they send me back a drawing to approve it. But the panels wasn't in the places that I wanted. Then I send an email to ask them to change it. Then Tesla send me back saying my City require site survey before submitting the plan. Did it happen to you ? Did you get a site survey done ?

Site survey takes 3 weeks to scheduled, it will eat into my installation deadline for the tax credit.

Just want to know what's your experience is in the design phase.

Because Tesla is only using a google map, the dimension of the roof line is not really accurate. Some of the area which I expect to be able to fit more panel, they will put in less. Not sure that's reason why they're asking for site survey.

But one of the staff told me, it's the city requirement. But why do they ask me to approve the plan in just 2 days. I guess I can find out from the city as well.

Forgot to tell you,

My friend told me, SolarCity/Tesla will help you to paint the metal conduit if you have the house paint on hand. Not sure it's still the case now. Also I think you should try to figure plan how you would like to run the conduit from your solar panel to meter to reduce the number of hole to drill.

They will likely have to shut off power to the house during installation of the electrical panels and recabling.

If anyone will be home, they should be prepared for this. We ran a long extension cord to a neighbor's outside outlet so we had power to run our internet, computers and a fan, for hours while they were making the electrical changes.

Thanks for all suggestions....

Installation done. Here are key points and photos.
1) Crew was on time 8:00 am and left at 5pm. worked all day, 5 ppl
2) I had asked for photos and panel mapping. they gave both in the end.
3) Equipment - 5.1kw system, Inverter - SE7600h, Optimizer - P400 ( they also have P300 ) connected to each panel
4) Painted conduit all the way, looks clean, Inverter in garage, RSB outside
5) They broke 6-8 tiles, but said will be back in a day or two to put new tiles. Hope this part is properly. cross my fingers.. No site survey was done so they did not know what tiles to use. They could have seen earlier photos and done better jobs here.
6) Tested the system at end, he said looks all ok.
7) Gave another box to connect to router, which is gateway to Inverter, but he said wont work until PGE turns on. I might have problem here, as my wi-fi in garage in very weak ( almost none ). so not sure how gateway will be able to connect to inverter. I might have to modem/router inside house to get better connectivity.
8) Inspection guy showed up before , Installer. hahaha.. now he said he will come back. May be in a day or two.
9) No power outage at all.
Overall, I think they did good job, except tiles. Hope they don't screw up. Here are photos....

Attachments

• IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    501 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hi Hay2000,

Thanks for sharing the information. I'm in Bay area as well, in Cupertino. I just signup the Tesla for a 4.08kW system last week. Just like to you I added two more panels get to 4.760kW. Within just 2 days, they send me back a drawing to approve it. But the panels wasn't in the places that I wanted. Then I send an email to ask them to change it. Then Tesla send me back saying my City require site survey before submitting the plan. Did it happen to you ? Did you get a site survey done ?

Site survey takes 3 weeks to scheduled, it will eat into my installation deadline for the tax credit.

Just want to know what's your experience is in the design phase.

Because Tesla is only using a google map, the dimension of the roof line is not really accurate. Some of the area which I expect to be able to fit more panel, they will put in less. Not sure that's reason why they're asking for site survey.

But one of the staff told me, it's the city requirement. But why do they ask me to approve the plan in just 2 days. I guess I can find out from the city as well.

No.... In my case they said, survey is not needed, which I think bad idea. Insist on survey. I t will be useful. Like in my case, during install they broke 6-8 tiles but did not have tiles to replace today. So they are going to come back and fix it. I'm not sure if this could create a problem later on, I hope not. Had they done the survey before, they would have known which tile to bring ( again lame excuse not to bring tile... there can be only few different type ). Overall, it's a good idea to do survey.

I also noticed similar thing in my design as well. But I think city building codes are somewhat weird for normal people. Like there has to be 2 or 3ft distance from two roof joining line, but almost none from the edge of the roof. Also they put so close to vents, almost no space. However I trust them as they submit design to city. So they are doing as per city guidelines.

My design was same as another Installer i had called earlier and same as goggle map. so I had no issue.

Last edited:
're broken tiles. On my site visit the rep asked if I had a spare tile he could photograph and measure. I had several.
During my installation on Monday they broke one tile, concrete. They asked if I had one and I gave It to them. I am happy I was ready. It would be a good idea to have some spare tiles on hand for your installation.
I also supplied house paint for the silver metal conduit and brushes. They said they didn't usually do painting but with three brushes , the workers did the job quickly and well.
I also had water, LaCroix and Tate's chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies for them.(Maybe helped with getting the painting done.)

We had 44 350W panels installed on our concrete tile roof.

When Tesla made a proposal, they planned to buy a lot of extra tiles, since they would likely break many tiles during installation.

We ended up going with a Tesla-approved 3rd party installer, who was able to do the entire installation without breaking a single tile...

Nice job. Something you might consider is adding pest abatement—wire mesh that surrounds the perimeter of the panels so birds, roof rats and squirrels can’t build homes underneath or chew on the wiring. We arranged to have Tesla do ours during install. For our med. system on two roof sections cost us I think $1600. Not sure if they do later as a service but there are roofing companies that do this as well.

Yes, every city will have set backs on the roofs for panels. Wouldn’t be surprised if specified by your fire dept for ability to walk the roof In case of fire, plus you need that access for solar cleaning and roof maintenance as well

Yes, every city will have set backs on the roofs for panels. Wouldn’t be surprised if specified by your fire dept for ability to walk the roof In case of fire, plus you need that access for solar cleaning and roof maintenance as well
The setbacks are primarily for the firefighters. The setbacks are more relaxed and sensible today because setbacks aren’t applied to every roof surface anymore. It is treated sensible with more common sense as ‘system.’ Expect firefighter to drive up and make a bee-line to the ridge to vent/release smoke from the house. The setbacks generally applied to those roof surfaces.

Back in 2016, the former approach was used. If it was today, I would be able to fit a few more solar panels. Last year, I received a few ‘no-bids’ from a couple of contractors when I asked to add a few panels.

A bit off-topic, wondering if anyone here has experience building a grid-tied solar shed deemed as accessory structure (i.e. less than 120 square fee to qualify for no permit required). Is this even allowed (i.e. does the shed/structure need to be permitted)?

Last edited:
Nice job. Something you might consider is adding pest abatement—wire mesh that surrounds the perimeter of the panels so birds, roof rats and squirrels can’t build homes underneath or chew on the wiring. We arranged to have Tesla do ours during install. For our med. system on two roof sections cost us I think $1600. Not sure if they do later as a service but there are roofing companies that do this as well.

When did you ask for the pest wire mesh. I regret not doing that. I did not know Tesla did it. Who should I contact at Tesla?

If anyone knows of a SF Bay roofer or other company that does “solar pest abatement” please let me know.TIA

When did you ask for the pest wire mesh. I regret not doing that. I did not know Tesla did it. Who should I contact at Tesla?

If anyone knows of a SF Bay roofer or other company that does “solar pest abatement” please let me know.TIA

Read about someone on here asking (thread had been started on it) and since we see birds on roofs and know there are squirrels and roof rats in the bay area, asked maybe a few weeks before our scheduled date. Ran us $1600 I think. Goes around all edges. If you have the curved clay tiles understand from roofing websites that do this work that the cost will be more as they have to custom cut screening to fill the dips in the tile.

Since the companies that do this will have service areas, what part of the bay are you in?

• Informative
Reactions: LadyLion
Read about someone on here asking (thread had been started on it) and since we see birds on roofs and know there are squirrels and roof rats in the bay area, asked maybe a few weeks before our scheduled date. Ran us $1600 I think. Goes around all edges. If you have the curved clay tiles understand from roofing websites that do this work that the cost will be more as they have to custom cut screening to fill the dips in the tile.

Even with sealing the curved Spanish look tiles still let varmints in. My neighbor is pulling them off this roof because of constant infestations. He has spent thousands on people blocking the holes with cement and other materials and still has problems. Part of this is our homes back up to an open space which leads up into the hills. We have a lot of wildlife in the area that wanders through our yards. If anyone wants a couple of dozen wild turkeys for Thanksgiving come on by. Please!

• Informative
I love the look of the Spanish style roof tiles. Had hoped for that elevation on our home when we were home buying, but the model we ended up with in our development had flat cement tiles. After seeing a neighbor’s Spanish style home being invaded by squirrels that ate through the copper end caps of their curved Spanish tiles at their gutter edge and nesting in their attic, glad we ended up with the flat. Now years later having installed solar panels, have to say hearing there can be issues with some pest abatement prevention in addition to the extra cost on those tiles, feeling fortunate.

Would be good to hear from others with those tiles and with the wire mesh installed on their panels.

• Helpful