Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed a hitch and wiring harness on my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, do you have an estimate for the range difference with and without the trailer and ATV?

I haven’t made any trips further than a few miles from my house but for that short distance and I definitely wasn’t going slow and AC on full blast being I live in Vegas.

With the trailer and ATV -about 235 mile range. Proper driving could probably take that well over 250+ miles. Without the trailer about 280.

So a quick guess would be it cuts into my range about 15%

Last edited:
And it REALLY depends on what you are trailing. Even with just a bike on the hitch, I got really crappy MPGe driving the central valley in a torrential wind storm. The weight of the trailer, the aspect, are going to make a big difference.

I am sure there is a thread on the Model S forum of people going thru this discovery period when their hitches first came out, but I have yet to find a good one.

-Randy

1189001B-1374-4908-9A63-64BEA1C3A7B4.jpeg
Thanks very much for posting this, xpitxbullx! Could you please clarify what is visible of the hitch when you are not using it? And how big a drill is it to remove however much of the hitch that can be removed?

Thanks!

Pretty much everyone who has one leaves it like this when not in use. Removing this piece can be done but it’s tedious because of the confined space you have to work with while using a wrench.

Let your carwear it PROUDLY, like a badge of honor! :cool:

• Love
Reactions: israndy
View attachment 321838

Pretty much everyone who has one leaves it like this when not in use. Removing this piece can be done but it’s tedious because of the confined space you have to work with while using a wrench.

Let your carwear it PROUDLY, like a badge of honor! :cool:

How is the ground clearance? I don't plan to ever remove the insert, but also don't want to be scraping it on the ground going in and out of driveways.

I haven’t made any trips further than a few miles from my house but for that short distance and I definitely wasn’t going slow and AC on full blast being I live in Vegas.

With the trailer and ATV -about 235 mile range. Proper driving could probably take that well over 250+ miles. Without the trailer about 280.

So a quick guess would be it cuts into my range about 15%
Thanks for the information. With the increased number of supercharger locations, it seems less important to have max range all the time.

Reactions: xpitxbullx
View attachment 309974

Installed an Eco Hitch on my M3. I also wired a 4 prong harness for about $25 in parts. The wiring is also completely hidden. It accelerates like I’m not pulling anything. The trailer has standard bulbs and works fine but I’m going to switch them out for LED.
Hi there, if I understand correctly you are tapping into the wires of the rear lights directly, without any electronics module or the like? Is this still working well for you, or have you had issues?

Does the Model 3 detect malfunctioning tail lighrs? Does that still work for you?

I know Torquelift Central and Stealth Hitches sell wiring harnesses, but for sure these are for geared towards US Model 3s, where I aim at installing a hitch on an EU Model 3. Wanna use it for a bicycle rack only.

Many thanks.

Hi there, if I understand correctly you are tapping into the wires of the rear lights directly, without any electronics module or the like? Is this still working well for you, or have you had issues?

Does the Model 3 detect malfunctioning tail lighrs? Does that still work for you?

I know Torquelift Central and Stealth Hitches sell wiring harnesses, but for sure these are for geared towards US Model 3s, where I aim at installing a hitch on an EU Model 3. Wanna use it for a bicycle rack only.

Many thanks.

No issues. Works beautifully! :)

Reactions: DutchTM3
It’s an Eco Hitch. I used nylon washers supplied with the hitch. I would have preferred a pad.
Back again ;-) I understand the reason for applying the nylon washers (I bought a StealthHitches hitch and they provide rubber washers, not sure I am a fan of that). But I was wondering about the crossbar. Is that steel or aluminium? If aluminium, should that not be protected as well?

BTW: any idea how thick the nylon washer were? In case I wanted to add them myself?

Thanks!

Back again ;-) I understand the reason for applying the nylon washers (I bought a StealthHitches hitch and they provide rubber washers, not sure I am a fan of that). But I was wondering about the crossbar. Is that steel or aluminium? If aluminium, should that not be protected as well?

BTW: any idea how thick the nylon washer were? In case I wanted to add them myself?

Thanks!

The crossbar (on both the Torklift EcoHitch and the StealthHitches hitch) are steel with thick powder coating. The entire rear end of the Model 3 where the crossbar attaches is aluminum. The thick powder coating and nylon washers should keep the steel and aluminum separate.

Here are the approximate dimensions as I measured them from my EcoHitch nylon washers:
thickness: 1.55 mm (0.061 inches)
outer diameter: 38.25 mm (1.506 inches)
inner diameter: 12.40 mm (0.488 inches)

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot and DR61
The crossbar (on both the Torklift EcoHitch and the StealthHitches hitch) are steel with thick powder coating. The entire rear end of the Model 3 where the crossbar attaches is aluminum. The thick powder coating and nylon washers should keep the steel and aluminum separate.

Here are the approximate dimensions as I measured them from my EcoHitch nylon washers:
thickness: 1.55 mm (0.061 inches)
outer diameter: 38.25 mm (1.506 inches)
inner diameter: 12.40 mm (0.488 inches)
True gold (uh steel). Thank you!

Where did you purchase this from? thanks in advance.
View attachment 320377

No issues at all. Pulls my ATV and trailer like it’s not even there (1050 lbs). I was careful to make secure connections when I wired the harness. Everything is performing perfectly. I’ve recently changed the bulbs on the trailer to LED to reduce the load even thought the incandescent bulbs worked fine while they were still being used.

I do recommend getting a hitch mount with a d-ring to fasten your safety chains. My previous setup on my Dodge Challenger has the hook rings on the hitch’s main body.

Where did you purchase this from? thanks in advance.
He probably welded it himself or had somebody do it. I tried very hard to look for a similar one and could not find one at all. So I purchased a safety chain loop and will weld it onto my Ecohitch. This picture shows how I will do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_073350.jpg
    IMG_20190414_073350.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20190414_073411.jpg
    IMG_20190414_073411.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 103
I just bought a couple of chain quick links to make it easier to attach the safety cables to my tow vehicle

iu

I thought about welding the loops to my hitch, but I already scrape the ground enough. Since there are places to attach the cables but they are REALLY buried up under the car, this seemed like the best solution. I think they were less than $2

-Randy