Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed a kick sensor for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an update on my install of kicksensor from Hansshow on my 2021 LR Model Y. I received the product a month ago and my first install did not go well. I had trouble figuring out wire connections (especially the yellow ground wire). After lot of back and forth via Hansshow support team via Whatsapp (they offered wonderful support by the way!), I figured out where the wire goes. But after many attempts, I still could not get it to work, in spite of many tests I did based on Hansshow's advice. Finally, they figured there could be a defective part (or broken wire connection due to my multiple tries) and gracefully shipped me a replacement. I tried last night and voila, it worked like a charm! I love the feature so much now! This is more of an update and if any of you have any questions on the install, I'll be happy to help support. Take care and have a great day everyone!

[Huge shout-out to the Hansshow team, they know how to take care of their customers!]

Please help me. Yellow B+ wire sliced with yellow cigarette lighter wire. Still doesn't work
This is what you need to do. Took me a while to figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_164752.jpg
    IMG_20210822_164752.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 324
@El joe
Took me about 3 hours. I'm not super handy either but have changed my oil in my ICE cars previously. The harness and kit changed a bit recently. It is slightly different from the youtube tutorials that are available. The hardest part was threading the harness through the accordion like rubber thing that connects the hatch to the body and figuring out the yellow 12V connector, which I've posted. But works very well. Pretty much 100% as long as you to the motion right. PM me and I can share my blog post tutorial.

I have received the Hansshow sensor a month back and just have time to install it now. I have watched the Youtube videos and the connectors that connector to the latch seems different. Does anyone know where the connectors circled in red connects to? Also attached a picture of the latch on the Y.

Attachments

• 0DE3BA3D-D8E8-440F-8EF0-8A23317E608B.jpg
    0DE3BA3D-D8E8-440F-8EF0-8A23317E608B.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 261
  • 6BE9F516-F7D4-4B6E-9A70-F7D35F203270.jpg
    6BE9F516-F7D4-4B6E-9A70-F7D35F203270.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 188
I have received the Hansshow sensor a month back and just have time to install it now. I have watched the Youtube videos and the connectors that connector to the latch seems different. Does anyone know where the connectors circled in red connects to? Also attached a picture of the latch on the Y.

I don't remember where exactly but it does fit. I believe it connects to something on the hatch. Go through the references carefully in the instructions.

I watched the install video and surely it isn't an "easy" mod to do like the guy kept making it out to be. It definitely isn't a mod that is worth the effort for me.

It certainly isn't easy. It took me around 4 hours. They skip a lot of parts and doesn't help that Hansshow skimps on the fishing wire. All they provide is a cheap plastic line for you to fish the adapter through the accordion rubber piece.

Not sure if you figured it out already, but that connector is the bypass to your trunk close button on the liftgate.

Attachments

• 20210902_155905.jpg
    20210902_155905.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: Ken_Y
@El joe
Took me about 3 hours. I'm not super handy either but have changed my oil in my ICE cars previously. The harness and kit changed a bit recently. It is slightly different from the youtube tutorials that are available. The hardest part was threading the harness through the accordion like rubber thing that connects the hatch to the body and figuring out the yellow 12V connector, which I've posted. But works very well. Pretty much 100% as long as you to the motion right. PM me and I can share my blog post tutorial.
Hello, I am having an issue with the yellow wire too. After reading some of this thread I might have routed the yellow and black wire on the wrong side. Currently I routed to the right passenger side like those you tube tutorial but I’m think with this new update of the kick sensor I have to route it to the left side, driver side?
And then the yellow wire clamps to where exactly? I can’t quite tell from your picture of that plug? What plug is it specifically?
Thank you in advance for your reply and help.

Correct. You route it to the left where the 12V "cigarette" aux power is. You just clamp it down and have the 'teeth' puncture into the 12V yellow cable. I'm sure you can route it through the right but you will need to find a good power source.

Correct. You route it to the left where the 12V "cigarette" aux power is. You just clamp it down and have the 'teeth' puncture into the 12V yellow cable. I'm sure you can route it through the right but you will need to find a good power source.
@Ken_Y Thank you for your reply. I managed to undo the routing of the wire on the right-side and re-routed it to the left side 😅😅

The clamp that the yellow wire came with doesn't seem big enough to clamp down on the yellow wire of the 12V cigarette light (gray color) plug. But reviewing the photo you shared, you're able to do it though.

By the way, where did you put the controller box at the top? Is there any specific or good spot to place it? Thanks a bunch.