TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Installed an outlet outside, now want it inside...looking for suggestions to move it

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by JGard, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JGard

JGard Member

Hi all,
    So like a month ago, once I configured my M3, I got an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet installed. My wife and I park in the driveway (or have, exclusively, for the 5 years we've lived here) because I had an E36 M3 parked in the garage. Somewhat unexpectedly, the M3 just sold, so now I can put the Tesla (my new M3 :) ) in the garage.

So now is the complication of getting it charged. I've attached the pic of where my outlet was installed by a local electrician. The garage is over there on the right. I've reached out to them to see if they'd be able to extend the line, but I also wonder if I can do something myself. Here's what it looks like now

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP3kFpSZxPfp7xprxCm_EeIwyXQHRleQpRzZ2jwfR_En5XAUA7Eo5tC5ruW2_0dJg/photo/AF1QipP7V8F4kelzJpj4Ud4VRs6IzjP9g1BOmsZ1x-Kj?key=Z1dEYmNEQUJnYS1fVnhra3NaZjMyRGRRcWdUWEx3

My thoughts are:
    1. Get a 15-20' extension cord (I have a 10', it's too short) which I could run through one of those grooves between concrete (I may have to use a grinder to make the groove a bit wider) and then make an opening next to or under my garage door for this extension cord to get into the garage. I'd basically leave that permanently plugged in and use the mobile connector to the extension cord. There are some fairly obvious drawbacks to this method but it could look semi-permanent and not cause anybody to trip over cords.

2. Try to reach the mobile charger from the outdoor outlet and run it under/next to the garage door (again I'd have to use a cutter/grinder to make an opening for the cord to fit) and just charge that way. Big detriment here is it's crossing the walk-way and people would almost certainly trip over it, but otherwise this would be the easiest and cheapest option.

3. Cut a groove in the walkway and drill a hole into the side of my house/garage and run some conduit. Run some wires out of the current outlet box, into the conduit, and in to my house, where then I could install another outlet or maybe even the Tesla charger. I'd then pour new concrete over the groove for the conduit to make it look ok. Drawbacks to this method are the fact that I have to drill through my wall (I'd rent a hammer drill and some very long bits) and I'd be doing some actual wiring on my own, not sure if what I did would be weatherproof.

4. ? Any things I haven't even thought of yet I'd love to hear. The other option is to just continue parking in the driveway and just let my wife use the garage, but it seems silly to have a 5 year old Subaru garaged while a brand new Tesla sits outside (also she commutes, I work from home, so mine would be at the house much more)

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Where is your electrical panel? This may be a stupid question but would it make more sense to just run another outlet from wherever your panel is to the inside of your garage, rather than extend the existing outside outlet? That way, you'd still have an outlet outside, for possible future needs.

• Like x 2
  3. JGard

JGard Member

No, the panel is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. So in the linked picture, it's to the left. The run I had done for the outlet already installed cost me $800, which is a ton for how little work they had to do. I attribute this to the length of the cable run. Any service that is to be run into my garage from the panel would likely (according to one electrician I spoke with) have to run up the side of the house, across the attic, then down the wall into the garage. That would cost, by my estimates, at least $2k. Not worth it

4. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

Ugh, talk about being stuck between a rock and hard place. Normally you could go under the sidewalk but there is no place to bring it up again. It's all concrete everywhere! Plus you wouldn't want to run a cord from there because it would go right across where people would walk.

You could use a hammer drill to break up some concrete in the space between the front of the porch and the walkway and get wire (inside of PVC conduit) across there, and then get some concrete back on top of that. (It won't look great if you patch it, so you would have to re-do that whole piece for it to look good) Based on that wall next to your garage door, i'd say you could probably get some wire into the garage under where that downspout is. They do sell extension cords, but that small box isn't really waterproof with the door open, so you wouldn't want to leave it with an extension cord plugged in constantly. You could just extend it from that box though and put another box just like that one inside of your garage.

The electrical part is easy, and it won't be a lot of wire either since 90% of the run is already there. The concrete work on your walkway is most of your problem.

5. JGard

JGard Member

Indeed, all this concrete sucks. And no basements here, so it's all just one big solid foundation.

Perhaps the real answer is that i need to buy another project car or motorcycle to keep in the garage and thus I won't feel guilt about leaving the Tesla in the driveway :)

• Funny x 2
  6. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

This is what I meant. Dig up some concrete, run wire in conduit to the wall. Drill hole. Feed wire through, run conduit/wire up the wall a bit and put another box there. Boom! Then you just have to patch the concrete. That last part won't be pretty but you can always find "a guy" to do it.

Sorry I don't live closer, I could do the rest of the work for you for a few beers hehe.

IMG_20180821_134606.jpg

7. JGard

JGard Member

Appreciate the pic. So the spot where you suggest drilling is solid all the way through, which means I'd have to drill in a bit from the outside, then from inside, at a 90* angle, drill and hope the holes meet up. That may be a bit beyond my skill level. However, if I drilled in under the spout at an angle, say 45* (still parallel to the ground), I'd probably get some room inside to actually break through and do something with the wires.

8. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

Wow really? I guess I assumed that was garage wall framing. Hard to tell without being there. You could of course drill it properly (using the correct angle), and keep it hidden because of the downspout. (Might want to angle it upwards a little) And after the conduit and wire go through, make sure to use foam/putty to seal it up. (No need to do the 2 holes at 90 degree angles or anything) If you aren't confident in your skills and don't have a good friend who is good at that stuff, you can usually find a good general handyman on craigslist. Just want to make sure that if you are drilling through concrete or stone that you do it right the first time.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

If you (and spouse?) are willing for it to be this way, this is a pretty decent solution. For this purpose, I would buy this cord right here. Official camping equipment RV 14-50 extension cords are really bulky and heavy, because they also have that thick conductor for the neutral, which isn't even used by Tesla charging, so this company makes this one that is thinner and more flexible by leaving out the unused wire. This is 20 feet for $88, so it's a pretty good value way to get this done.
    Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

Slightly different method, where if you're not going to use a separate extension cord, you can get your mobile charge cable lengthened by Quick Charge Power. They have different lengths you can get for around $150 to $200, but it will be very solid and look professional. However...come to think of it, I think that means the box of the electronics would be out there near the outlet, and I think the extra length would be on the charging handle side of it. I don't know if I would like having the charging box out there in the rain and such for daily use all the time. I think I would rather go for the extension cord in option #1 then to get the electronics box inside your garage door for better protection from the elements.
    Tesla UMC extension

Options 3 and 4 sound hard and expensive.

• Helpful x 2
  10. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

This is the easiest and cheapest. Just beware of tripping hazard along the walkway.

11. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Are you sure a run through the attic would cost that much?

How much do you drive per day? Do you need to charge nightly? Or charge with 120v inside regularly and get a boost outside when needed.

I do have the extension cord mentioned and I do recommend it. I was using it to get from my outside breaker box mounted right beside my garage door for the first 6 months. I added my own 14-50 RV box under the box. Wanted to wait until I had enough experience with car that I would put HPWC in the best place, etc.

12. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Option 3 is probably your best bet. Cut a 3-4" section in the side walk at the existing expansion joint. Turn that outlet into a junction box, run metal conduit in the concrete cutout. Come up near the wall. Drill through the wall where it's not solid. Install a LB fitting, pass through the wall with appropriate length conduit straight into an outlet box, pull box or junction box, and then route your wires accordingly. Redo the concrete. You could always pay someone to do the concrete cutting, drilling and then the concrete patching.

It shouldn't be too hard to follow the code for your area. Be safe!

Electrical Wiring: How to Run Power Anywhere

13. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, definitely that, but as for the aesthetics, there is already a seam between the two pieces. I would probably cut about a half inch or three quarter inch groove at that point to get the cord to sit nicely in there so it's not up above the surface.

14. JGard

JGard Member

This was my thought. Widen the existing joint, for the cable snug down in there, and tripping shouldn't be a problem.

15. davewill

davewill Member

Everyone knows that running an extension cord through a wall is completely against code, right? You're going to need conduit and proper wire.

16. JGard

JGard Member

I wouldn't run an extension cord through the wall. If I did the drill through concrete option, I'd run conduit and proper wiring. If I use the extension cord, I'm basically going to just run it under the garage door.

17. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

No please no.

18. davewill

davewill Member

I just had a thought. Could you go up through the inside of the column, then inside the overhead of the porch and into the garage? You could go up the outside of the column, but that would be pretty ugly.

19. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

I don't think anyone was discussing running an extension cord through a wall. His extension cord option was basically running it across the path and under the garage door.

20. JGard

JGard Member

That column goes up about 30 feet, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself. I also don't even know if that's hollow