Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed BlackVue 900X, CM100LTE module, and backup battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought everything during Black Friday but never got around to installing. Spent about five hours today getting everything set up.

The dashcam is the 900XPlus by BlackVue with two channels. The CM100 LTE module is optional, but I liked the idea that I could "just upgrade the dashcam" in the future without having to buy a LTE enabled version. Everything is powered by BlackVue's PowerCell 8 battery which appears to be a rebranded Celllink. 12v power is supplied through the OEM brake controller. In theory, the 7500mAh battery should be able to power the two channel, 4k video for 20 hours. We'll see about that...

I sourced the brake controller harness from Tesla and soldered the hardwire pigtail. The brake controller sits on a 15A fuse and the battery pulls about 8-9 amps while charging. In theory, it can charge itself in about 50 minutes. So, a quick trip around town in addition to the "sleep delay" the car has. When I was verifying everything with my multimeter I never did see the voltage drop to 0, so I'm doing a little more research to ensure this is actually the case.

f369d28ee0069764d05bee093f456279.jpg

The battery is hidden at the bottom of my center console. I tried feeding the wires from the back of the center console but it was a giant pain in the ass. Ultimately just used a step drill and put a hole in the side of the console for the power cables. Here's a photo of me test fitting the battery before I placed it in the bottom of the console.

PXL_20220325_003038618.jpg

The original plan was to remove the AP harness trim and tuck all the wires in, but after laying everything out I don't think there's enough room in there. It was getting dark so I decided to use the included 3M mounts and run the wire bundle in parallel. Not ideal, but I don't really look up there so I can live with it.

Most people stick the LTE module to the windshield, but I think it looks terrible. LTE has no issue with plastic, so I placed mine under the dashboard. It's got better service than the damn car does!

PXL_20220325_020156628.jpg

ca9991a00d067503d8546457f4b399ef.png

All wires were run up along the A pillar and above the headliner. To run the rear camera cable I made two small cuts with a razor in the body to trunk door rubber. Shouldn't be any issues with water, but I may go back and add a few dabs of sealant.

PXL_20220325_021819504.PORTRAIT.jpg

Glad I was able to get everything installed. I may get around to editing an installation video at some point.

PXL_20220325_021748261.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220325_021809749.PORTRAIT.jpg

Bought everything during Black Friday but never got around to installing. Spent about five hours today getting everything set up.

The dashcam is the 900XPlus by BlackVue with two channels. The CM100 LTE module is optional, but I liked the idea that I could "just upgrade the dashcam" in the future without having to buy a LTE enabled version. Everything is powered by BlackVue's PowerCell 8 battery which appears to be a rebranded Celllink. 12v power is supplied through the OEM brake controller. In theory, the 7500mAh battery should be able to power the two channel, 4k video for 20 hours. We'll see about that...

I sourced the brake controller harness from Tesla and soldered the hardwire pigtail. The brake controller sits on a 15A fuse and the battery pulls about 8-9 amps while charging. In theory, it can charge itself in about 50 minutes. So, a quick trip around town in addition to the "sleep delay" the car has. When I was verifying everything with my multimeter I never did see the voltage drop to 0, so I'm doing a little more research to ensure this is actually the case.
The power feed from the brake controller is always on, so your backup battery will never be used. Back when I installed mine, I just threw it away. Also, there is a plastic spacer inside the windshield conduit. If that is removed, there is plenty of room for the new cables. I also ran the rear camera cable inside the rubber flex “hose”

Since installing all of that in my 2018 X, Tesla activated recording using the rear and side cameras. I discarded the entire installation after a couple of windshield replacements. I don’t need it anymore.

Reactions: KentuckyX
OK, so that seems to be a whole lot of work to accomplish nothing. What am I missing? Why would you want to spend this money and go to all this effort?
Why rain on this guy’s parade? He didn’t exactly “accomplish nothing”; he added an extra dashcam. I‘ve got one, as well. There have been MANY times I’ve looked at the screen and noticed my Tesla camera wasn’t on or recording. Thankfully, it was never during a sentry event, etc., but it’s nice to know I have a backup just in case.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
The power feed from the brake controller is always on, so your backup battery will never be used. Back when I installed mine, I just threw it away. Also, there is a plastic spacer inside the windshield conduit. If that is removed, there is plenty of room for the new cables. I also ran the rear camera cable inside the rubber flex “hose”

Since installing all of that in my 2018 X, Tesla activated recording using the rear and side cameras. I discarded the entire installation after a couple of windshield replacements. I don’t need it anymore.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll be switching the power source then!

I'm measuring the diameter of my three wires and it's about the same size as channel width already. Did you also have an additional USB cable?

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll be switching the power source then!

I'm measuring the diameter of my three wires and it's about the same size as channel width already. Did you also have an additional USB cable?
I am using the same power source you described, the brake controller line under the dash. No USB cable, only the power and the rear camera cables go through the windshield conduit. If you remove the conduit cover, there is a plastic filler inside. Remove that plastic filler and there is plenty of room for the extra cables. Snap the cover back on, and no more cables in view. At the very top of the windshield, the camera cable heads off to the rear, and the power heads for the under dash area to be hooked to brake controller pigtail. Just be extremely careful with that pigtail, if happen to short it to ground, you can easily pop the fuse, and I have no flipping idea where that fuse is.

I am using the same power source you described, the brake controller line under the dash. No USB cable, only the power and the rear camera cables go through the windshield conduit. If you remove the conduit cover, there is a plastic filler inside. Remove that plastic filler and there is plenty of room for the extra cables. Snap the cover back on, and no more cables in view. At the very top of the windshield, the camera cable heads off to the rear, and the power heads for the under dash area to be hooked to brake controller pigtail. Just be extremely careful with that pigtail, if happen to short it to ground, you can easily pop the fuse, and I have no flipping idea where that fuse is.
Ah, you've got a newer X with the clip on cable tray. The older Xs had VHB securing the tray to the window. I think I'm just going to buy some Techflex and wrap the wires for now until I get my windshield replaced.

I pulled the passenger side center console trim off and gained access to the center console's wiring harness. It was tucked behind the plastic trim and had to be de-clipped and pulled down. There are two wires that provide switched 12v+ when the car is unlocked. The cigarette lighter has a 20A fuse, but the wires off the harness are tiny.

100% not going to hook the battery up to the harness so the plan is to use a relay fed by the trailer harness and triggered using the switched 12v off the center console harness. Typically, I try to avoid cutting into factory wiring harnesses, so I tapped the harness on the console side. I ran and secured a wire back to the driver side and will finish everything up sometime this weekend.

PXL_20220326_005647888.jpg

I found the following switched 12v+ pins off the center console harness:
- Top row, far right pin
- Bottom row, second from right pin

PXL_20220326_010335740.PORTRAIT.jpg

I just finished my 900x plus today. Mine is a 2016, so I pulled the channel and had to reattach it with some 3m tape. Broke the tabs on the camera cover but it fits well enough. Got all the wires hidden except where it connects to the camera. I ended up stripping the jacket around the power wires to get it to fit in the channel. It was still a pretty tight fit.

I spliced into the constant 12v on the bottom left side and will tap into the rear 12v cigarette fuse for the switched connection. I ordered the wrong size fuse tap from Amazon, so the correct ones should come tomorrow.

So far everything works good. Not sure if I need to wire the switched, but I might as well. My only issue so far is that the clock is 5 minutes fast no matter what I do to set it

I just finished my 900x plus today. Mine is a 2016, so I pulled the channel and had to reattach it with some 3m tape. Broke the tabs on the camera cover but it fits well enough. Got all the wires hidden except where it connects to the camera. I ended up stripping the jacket around the power wires to get it to fit in the channel. It was still a pretty tight fit.

I spliced into the constant 12v on the bottom left side and will tap into the rear 12v cigarette fuse for the switched connection. I ordered the wrong size fuse tap from Amazon, so the correct ones should come tomorrow.

So far everything works good. Not sure if I need to wire the switched, but I might as well. My only issue so far is that the clock is 5 minutes fast no matter what I do to set it

Nice! Any photos? I'm going to reach out to the service center and see if the center channel has been superceded. If so, I'll just get that and replace the old stick on channel.

What dashcam did you end up installing?

BlackVue is definitely one of THE best dash cams. That said, it was pricey to have our dual channel BlackVue set installed in our 2017 MX. These suckers run HOT due to their compact size. On the BlackVue tapatalk chat board, the Blackvue comments are often about excess heat. That heat, along with constant SD card re-writes quickly led to premature SD card failures, as well as the dashcam. But yea, feel you camera on a cool 60°f winter day. EASILY above body temps by 45°. Now imagine it's 95° degrees outside. Your car's inside temps can easily hit 150°
When your car is that hot ... guess how hot the dashcam, generating it's OWN heat is ~ especially as it sits right up against the hot windshield/back window glass. The micro SD's & most electronics suffer quickly in those temps
Then, if you try & actually get support from BlackVue? Especially out of warranty? or a purchase from a "non-authorized" reseller?
Don't get me started ... or the upset owners that often vent about support on BlackVue's tapatalk threads.

BlackVue is definitely one of THE best dash cams. That said, it was pricey to have our dual channel BlackVue set installed in our 2017 MX. These suckers run HOT due to their compact size. On the BlackVue tapatalk chat board, the Blackvue comments are often about excess heat. That heat, along with constant SD card re-writes quickly led to premature SD card failures, as well as the dashcam. But yea, feel you camera on a cool 60°f winter day. EASILY above body temps by 45°. Now imagine it's 95° degrees outside. Your car's inside temps can easily hit 150°
When your car is that hot ... guess how hot the dashcam, generating it's OWN heat is ~ especially as it sits right up against the hot windshield/back window glass. The micro SD's & most electronics suffer quickly in those temps
Then, if you try & actually get support from BlackVue? Especially out of warranty? or a purchase from a "non-authorized" reseller?
Don't get me started ... or the upset owners that often vent about support on BlackVue's tapatalk threads.
Sounds like I bought the Tesla of dashcams 🤣

The install isn't difficult, but it's time consuming for sure. Easily a full day job. Regardless what products people choose, I think have a high resolution dashcam is a worthwhile endeavor. My old ViFo saved me when another party stretched the truth. I just shut up and let them dig their own grave.

I've always considered memory cards consumable items. If I have to replace them every few years, I'm okay with it. If I have camera issues, then that's a bit more frustrating. I guess we'll see.

Okay, finished up the wiring today and everything is working as intended.

bc7d199a6eeab32a953b8a5b96f6c0ce.png
228946b54c24b9a394788db59d997065.png

Added a simple 12v relay above the brake controller harness. If the relay ever fails I can just swap it out. The added bonus is I've got 20A of switched power I can use for future projects.
PXL_20220326_192448507.jpg

While I was in there I deburred this stupid stamped aluminum plate. I've lost too much blood for it to happen again!
PXL_20220326_185947245.jpg

Here are some pics of mine. I got a dr900x plus, 2 channel.

There was one spot where I couldn’t get the wire inside the liner by the sun visor. Rear looks basically like the others except I pulled my wire through the rubber conduit leading to the trunk.

Not really sure if the parking mode activation is working with the accessory wire, but it seems to automatically enter it after a few minutes of not moving.

4615EAE4-784F-4E2E-BC92-40921E819859.jpeg
D97B627E-CCF3-45FE-A079-0170BC5432F9.jpeg
BF8815F4-007C-4049-A2D5-FD6C3DBF4E1D.jpeg
882F16C3-AF8D-4BE5-903E-EFB49F449114.jpeg

Last edited: