Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered these a few weeks ago from Amazon but been too busy to install them. The install was actually pretty easy and only took about 45mins. I like the look and hopefully will protect the underside from rocks.

BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Mud Flaps... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07V36S77Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

IMG_20190901_132155.jpg
IMG_20190901_132130.jpg

Reactions: Hkbruin and DNAPoPo
I actually like how the mudflaps make the car seem wider, even though the width doesn’t extend past the tires and lines up parallel to it.
On another note, I was wondering why anyone would need to drill holes; couldn’t we just use longer replacement pegs?

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I actually like how the mudflaps make the car seem wider, even though the width doesn’t extend past the tires and lines up parallel to it.
On another note, I was wondering why anyone would need to drill holes; couldn’t we just use longer replacement pegs?

The small drill holes are just for the screw to latch on to. Makes the front flaps much more secure.

The small drill holes are just for the screw to latch on to. Makes the front flaps much more secure.

Ok yeah I didn’t see the other packet of rivets and assumed that all of the holes required the screws! My bad! I really like the look of the mudflaps and how it extends the natural lines of the body to visually extend the width and my car seem much cleaner already from the normal splashes I get from neighborhood run-off water (my car is white).

I also noticed that within the last couple days before I installed the mudflaps, I picked up a rock chip behind the left rear wheel on the body panel close to the bottom, so I definitely recommend getting these for further protection from the road elements.

It also wouldn’t hurt to line the edges of the bumper and body with a strip of clear bra material to prevent the mudflaps from digging directly against your paint surface.

I got the ones from RPM Tesla - in addition to the videos, I’d say removing the grommets was pretty hard if you didn’t know the right way - basically get your flathead screwdriver into the top part of the grommet to pop out the expander pin so that it comes out easier. You might have to clean the area so that you can see where that flat edge is if there’s a lot of mud etc on it.

A0C51391-2246-43EF-882C-A1AEF658E815.jpeg

Their method of putting on the tapping screws is not easy since the plastic liner is hard to pull out so it’s just easier to drill a hole for the screw once you have the others mounted on already. Also turn your wheel so you have more room to work in.

4DE4CAD2-C64C-4F85-9E0B-EFF16DFBA5DA.jpeg

224A3EE1-DF71-4BD2-902F-169E8ABA4A31.jpeg

29CCC028-48CA-4FE8-8301-61E341FBD499.jpeg

FACAE419-91EF-442B-9DCA-CE46E012E4B2.jpeg

For the rear mudflaps, you’ll need a 10mm wrench to get the nut on the bottom.

0D69A455-A182-4754-8D18-5FF30B82579C.jpeg

Lining up the grommet in the wheel well to the hole was pretty hard so it’ll be easier with the bottom nut to get the flap in the right position, then take it out and snap the grommet in place. Then putting the nut back on the bottom was pretty easy.

If I had known these issues earlier, I could have saved a lot of time, the RPM install video made it seem pretty easy but skipped some major hard parts of it.

• Informative
Reactions: zrzrzrzr