Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday. Scheduled to pick up my Model 3 tomorrow (Saturday 3/26). I've ordered the NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla but I don't think it has shipped yet, unless they included it in my mud flap order.

Box on left is a disconnect box with a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

I guess I'll have to charge on level 1 (120 volt) until the adapter arrives.
Very clean and nice looking. Mind if I ask why you had the breaker installed outside? Just curious as to the advantage it provides you? I can see the ease of shutting the circuit down. I don’t see a draw back, other then the added expense.

Very clean and nice looking. Mind if I ask why you had the breaker installed outside? Just curious as to the advantage it provides you? I can see the ease of shutting the circuit down. I don’t see a draw back, other then the added expense.
My electrician recommended the outside breaker, calling it an emergency disconnect.

Someone else said the disconnect is to simply pull the plug out of the NEMA 14-50. But it's not hard to imagine a problem at the outlet that prevented one from pulling the plug. So, I went with the recommendation of my electrician.

Reactions: Bulldogge16
My electrician recommended the outside breaker, calling it an emergency disconnect.

Someone else said the disconnect is to simply pull the plug out of the NEMA 14-50. But it's not hard to imagine a problem at the outlet that prevented one from pulling the plug. So, I went with the recommendation of my electrician.
Fair enough… thanks for taking the time to explain. It’s nice clean install. 👍

That is a 6-50 outlet. What did you ask him to install?

It is similar to the more popular 14-50 but does not have a neutral wire, that's why there is one less hole.

It is totally fine for charging at up to 50 amps assuming the correct wire and breaker were installed.

Just be sure to order the 6-50 adapter on this page, not the 14-50.

Just my observation, but curious why no one seems remotely concerned with applying the sizing requirements of single gang boxes for these fly by night “electrician” installs...? This is a target rich environment for how not to install charging receptacles. “YouTube” and others who’ve possibly stayed at a “Holiday Inn” seem to have taken over with a total lack of understanding of why the the NEC was put into place to attempt preventing these prime example fails... I’m seeing a lot of electrical problems for the general public who only seem concerned with the level of pricing, not if their install meets the minimum criteria as set forth in the National electrical code (NEC)... imho.

Attachments

• 1621186729173.jpeg
    1621186729173.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 220
Thanks for the box sizing post. Very important indeed. Just to clarify, the number of conductors listed is excluding the ground, correct?

Did the box with the 6-50 look undersized? Assuming he ran 6/2 with ground.

Just my observation, but curious why no one seems remotely concerned with applying the sizing requirements of single gang boxes for these fly by night “electrician” installs...? This is a target rich environment for how not to install charging receptacles. “YouTube” and others who’ve possibly stayed at a “Holiday Inn” seem to have taken over with a total lack of understanding of why the the NEC was put into place to attempt preventing these prime example fails... I’m seeing a lot of electrical problems for the general public who only seem concerned with the level of pricing, not if their install meets the minimum criteria as set forth in the National electrical code (NEC)... imho.

Another interesting chart. Thank you. I tried to find a definitive answer as to whether the NEC requires 4 or 2 conductor allowances for the 6-50 outlet but could not. There seems to be some confusion since this particular outlet can fit in either a single or double gang box. Is use in a single gang box permitted at 50 amps? If so, is the correct conductor count 7 or only 5?

Doesn't matter to me as I am using the Wall Connector, not an outlet, but for others who are reading it might be useful to get a clear statement on this. Can you tell us the minimum box size required for the 14-50 and 6-50 outlets using 6/3 and 6/2 Romex respectively?

Another interesting chart. Thank you. I tried to find a definitive answer as to whether the NEC requires 4 or 2 conductor allowances for the 6-50 outlet but could not. There seems to be some confusion since this particular outlet can fit in either a single or double gang box. Is use in a single gang box permitted at 50 amps? If so, is the correct conductor count 7 or only 5?

Doesn't matter to me as I am using the Wall Connector, not an outlet, but for others who are reading it might be useful to get a clear statement on this. Can you tell us the minimum box size required for the 14-50 and 6-50 outlets using 6/3 and 6/2 Romex respectively?
Any 6-50 installed in a single gang box I would say is not following the box/wire spacing off the NEC...