Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday. Scheduled to pick up my Model 3 tomorrow (Saturday 3/26). I've ordered the NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla but I don't think it has shipped yet, unless they included it in my mud flap order.

Box on left is a disconnect box with a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

I guess I'll have to charge on level 1 (120 volt) until the adapter arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 327
Cool, did you do it yourself, or have an electrician do it? Or maybe you are an electrician :)

Do you plan on using the mobile charger for everyday duty?
I hired an electrician. I was tempted to do it myself, especially after my neighbor offered to help (he's good at this stuff and wired his Model S's NEMA 15-40). But the electrician gave me what I thought was a reasonable price so I went with him. Took him two hours...would have taken me eight hours. So it was worth it.

Yes, going to use the mobile charger for my charging needs.

I was fortunate enough to live in an area (NY- Long Island) where PSEG was offering a $500.00 rebate on a selection of wall chargers. I purchased a Juicebox-40 which will charge at 38 Amps - net cost ended up At $50.00. The unit looks and feels, literally, bullet-proof. I've been using it for 2 years without a single problem. The Portable charger stays in its box in the trunk for use when I charge away from home. I have a 14-50 adapter and a 110 volt adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Installed my NEMA 14-50 yesterday. Scheduled to pick up my Model 3 tomorrow (Saturday 3/26). I've ordered the NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla but I don't think it has shipped yet, unless they included it in my mud flap order.

Box on left is a disconnect box with a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

I guess I'll have to charge on level 1 (120 volt) until the adapter arrives.
It's a very neat install but appears to be outside. I have read that the 14-50 outlet is not designed for frequent insertion and removal, and I'm not sure if it is ok to leave it plugged in during rainy weather due to moisture intrusion. I don't know if these are facts, just concerns I've read about. I assume you have looked into this. What did you hear?

What made you choose the outlet over the Wall Connector in this case?

It's a very neat install but appears to be outside. I have read that the 14-50 outlet is not designed for frequent insertion and removal, and I'm not sure if it is ok to leave it plugged in during rainy weather due to moisture intrusion. I don't know if these are facts, just concerns I've read about. I assume you have looked into this. What did you hear?

What made you choose the outlet over the Wall Connector in this case?
It is outside. Both boxes are weatherproof rated.

Post #5 above says his has been plugged in for almost three years and works fine. I assume he meant outside, but could be wrong. I haven't unplugged my mobile connector since the day I began using it.

As for the Wall Connector, I didn't see where it added any thing of value for me. And it alone would have cost just as much as my electrician charged me to install the emergency disconnect and NEMA 14-50.

Reactions: Jason1652
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working out well for you constantly plugged in. Did you need to provide any protection for the mobile connector or just hang it on a hook near the outlet?

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working out well for you constantly plugged in. Did you need to provide any protection for the mobile connector or just hang it on a hook near the outlet?

I haven't yet felt a need to provide protection for the UMC.

The info I've read said it's not waterproof and you wouldn't want it to lay in water. Mine is hanging from the NEMA 14-50 outlet and it's on the side of my house under the carport roof. It's possible for it to get wet in a driving rain but that happens infrequently around here.

I've seen pictures where users have mounted the UMC inside a weather proof box.

Are you not afraid that someone will just drive up to your house and take your UMC while it is not charging? Or are you planning to unplug it and put it away every time?
I live in a rural area on a cul de sac. The UMC is about 150 feet from the road. Someone driving by wouldn't know it was there.

As I mentioned in post #11, some users put the UMC inside a weatherproof box. I would think those types of boxes can be locked. My emergency disconnect box and NEMA outlet can be locked too, but I haven't felt the need to do so.

I haven't yet felt a need to provide protection for the UMC.

The info I've read said it's not waterproof and you wouldn't want it to lay in water. Mine is hanging from the NEMA 14-50 outlet and it's on the side of my house under the carport roof. It's possible for it to get wet in a driving rain but that happens infrequently around here.

I've seen pictures where users have mounted the UMC inside a weather proof box.

I don't think rain itself would be a problem, but rain water with freezing temperature could cause error on the UMC when the trapped water became ice. I think I read it here in some posts.

I don't think rain itself would be a problem, but rain water with freezing temperature could cause error on the UMC when the trapped water became ice. I think I read it here in some posts.
In my case the UMC is pretty well protected, being on my carport.

A driving rain from the east might get it a bit, but nearly all our bad weather comes out of the west or south.

This is what my electrician installed. I know its upside down, he told me he will come flip it. But Ive been searching online and this doesn't look like any of the ones I've seen other people use. There seems to be only 3 holes, but all the ones Im seeing elsewhere have more. What is this?

That is a 6-50 outlet. What did you ask him to install?

It is similar to the more popular 14-50 but does not have a neutral wire, that's why there is one less hole.

It is totally fine for charging at up to 50 amps assuming the correct wire and breaker were installed.

Just be sure to order the 6-50 adapter on this page, not the 14-50.

I live in a rural area on a cul de sac. The UMC is about 150 feet from the road. Someone driving by wouldn't know it was there.

As I mentioned in post #11, some users put the UMC inside a weatherproof box. I would think those types of boxes can be locked. My emergency disconnect box and NEMA outlet can be locked too, but I haven't felt the need to do so.
I'm planning a weather-proof box for my outdoor installation. Would like it to cover both the NEMA outlet and UMC body, with the UMC hanging down from the plug.

So need to know the length from the top of the NEMA plug to the bottom of the UMC body. Anybody?