Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my tablet on a dash mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
I have a Nexus 9 running Scan My Tesla, and finally bought 2 pieces of hardware to mount it to the dash:

Center Dash Mount
Drill Base - 3.75" Arm - Vehicle Or Wall Tablet Mount - 2 Points Of Articulation

It was pretty easy to mount, just had to find the right location of the dash mount and angle of the arm to get the tablet centered and low enough to see through the steering wheel.

Here are some photos of my install:

IMG_3124.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

The fingers on the mount kill the look of it, try to come up with a magnetic mount to clean up the edges. Do you leave the tablet in the car all the time?

It’s day 1 so haven’t decided on leaving the tablet in or not.
Any suggestions on a magnetic mount that is solid?

Now it looks like a proper Tesla, with an IC front and center!

Thanks!

Reactions: AquaY
Hey @MarcG,

I've noticed sometimes people can be quite opinionated about what looks they do and don't like in their Teslas. So didn't take any criticism to heart! :)

I'm personally not a fan of the side fingers either, but I do think you've got a cool idea there.

As for magnetic mounts, check out ones like these Steelies:

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Magnetic/dp/B00HUV8GMQ

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Dash/dp/B00HC2FB5I

Thanks for posting the links to the center dash mount piece. I didn't know such a thing existed, but I'm bookmarking it in case I need it in the future.

Cheers!

Reactions: mrau and jpfive
Hey @MarcG,

I've noticed sometimes people can be quite opinionated about what looks they do and don't like in their Teslas. So didn't take any criticism to heart! :)

I'm personally not a fan of the side fingers either, but I do think you've got a cool idea there.

As for magnetic mounts, check out ones like these Steelies:

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Magnetic/dp/B00HUV8GMQ

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Dash/dp/B00HC2FB5I

Thanks for posting the links to the center dash mount piece. I didn't know such a thing existed, but I'm bookmarking it in case I need it in the future.

Cheers!

Thank you for the recommendations and posting the links! I’ll check out these options if the side fingers start to bother me.

Interesting. How are you powering this thing? Also, what sort of information do you find useful to have available while you're driving? I'd love to be able to see speed and navigation information without having to look over to the screen. This setup will solve the speed part but not the nav.

It’s a pretty clean install and doesn’t look to bad. If you need access to that information in front of you then I guess this or something similar is a good option.

It’s personally not something I would do myself. Not that I didn’t give a lot of thought to doing something similar before getting my 3 thinking wait there has to be a display there. But I got past it and now appreciate having it clear there.

Interesting. How are you powering this thing? Also, what sort of information do you find useful to have available while you're driving? I'd love to be able to see speed and navigation information without having to look over to the screen. This setup will solve the speed part but not the nav.

I have the PERF tab of Scan My Tesla open to give me info about battery temperature, voltage, current and power, as well as front & rear motor power & torque. Speed is there too in the lower-left corner but I don't need it. Tabs are fully-customizable by the way.

You can definitely use another Nav app such as Google maps or Waze. Some apps even give you speed, so you can have both on one screen.

To me, the ability to see some technical data is interesting. I especially like to know if the battery is warm enough to supercharge at fast rates when on trips (which haven't happened much recently but hopefully soon again).

Reactions: AquaY
If you mean all the autopilot stuff that’s going to be hard.

If you mean more conventional modern infotainment with speed, navigation, music that’s totally doable and there are numerous options.
My 2014 Model S is pre-Autopilot. I would want the central speed display and the sub-navigation screen on the left. I set the right side of the display to show trip energy usage.