Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my tablet on a dash mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I especially like to know if the battery is warm enough to supercharge at fast rates when on trips (which haven't happened much recently but hopefully soon again).

Why do you need to verify this manualIy? I've seen the car tell me that it is preconditioning the battery for supercharging. Does that not work well? If the battery isn't warm enough what can you do about it? I use DCFC stations sometimes and would like to manually prep the battery if I can.

Now if someone were to come up with an app that replicates my Model S "Instrument Cluster" I could seriously consider a Model 3 or Y.
The developer of Stats has another app called SuperHUD, that looks like this:
IMG_5809.jpeg

It's not a Model S/X display, but it's on a small display, the iPhone. I think it's meant to be setup as a HUD, in mirrored mode, but it doesn't really reflect all that well in daytime, and the laminated glass, gives a double reflection. I use it instead as a central display, attached to an Xvida Qi charger. It sticks to the air vent, and magnetically holds my iPhone in place. Something for my phone to do while it charges.

AutoMate also has an app that has a HUD, and mimics the 3 central display. It might be useful if your center display blanks out. It's cheap, 99c a year, and has some api data that some might find useful.

I’ve always wondered why someone doesn’t just make a tablet that’s say Apple CarPlay comparable.

You could use BT on it to send audio to the car.

you would have navigation with Waze or whatever.

And you could pull speed and whatever else from An OBDII or similar adapter.

Potentially a tablet that would let you split the screen for apps in different quadrants.

This seems like something that could be developed with little effort or cost and would seemingly sell in the tens of thousands at a minimum if not hundreds of thousands.

The only real issues is getting a apple to approve CarPlay on a tablet.

I have a similar setup, with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" and the Steelie ize car mount kit.

Instead of the typical setup, I decided to stick the large ball on the tablet and to put the small ring on the car. This way, it's a bit more discrete when I remove the tablet. I also added some velcro adhesive where the bottom corners go, to add more stability - I plan to use this at the track and wanted to make sure it does not move.

p1.jpg

p3.jpeg

p2.jpeg

In terms of apps, Scan My Tesla is fun to use, but in normal driving conditions I don't find it particularly useful. The speed tab is the most useful, but the speed is shown with a decimal place and it updates so fast that it's a little bit distracting.

I typically keep the tablet in the car, with a cable connected to it all the time - I don't yet have a clean cable management solution, but am looking for one of those cables with a 180 degree turn (for example https://www.amazon.com/BECROWMUS-Smarthone-Andriod-Charging-Samsung/dp/B07FLZVG6J - I need one shipped to Switzerland, let me know if you have any tips). Because the cable is always connected, the USB power goes off when the car goes to sleep (if you don't have your car registered with software that constantly polls it). I set up AutomateIt to automatically unlock the tablet and open ScanMyTesla when USB power is on, and to turn off the screen when the power goes off. This works well, but I have to unplug / replug the ODBLink LX dongle from time to time to get it to connect.

One problem that I hadn't considered is that the Galaxy Tab A tablet does not work well with polarized sunglasses when in landscape mode. When I look at the screen with the sunglasses, the screen appears almost black, and when I bend my head just a little bit, it becomes visible, with the best visibility at 90 degrees (makes for a funny driving position). I tried to add a tempered glass to the screen which improved the situation a little bit, but in the end I found a color filter which fixes the polarization issue entirely (but adds a green tint, which I partially corrected with a Color Calibrator app).

Already have an IC, but I like SMT to show me when I have a warm batt, and when the front DU is off.

I don't like drilling or clipping or gluing things to the dash, or obstructing vents.

This works for me, my regular phone with a case flap wedged under the visor. View attachment 540940
That stays in place? I have a Vena case with flap, and I'm not sure that would work with the Vena.

I have a similar setup, with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" and the Steelie ize car mount kit.

Instead of the typical setup, I decided to stick the large ball on the tablet and to put the small ring on the car.

Great minds think alike. I am also attaching my tablet using the Steelie system. I use two of the disks, one on the dash and one on the tablet. Then I put a 2in steel ball between them. This way I can tilt the tablet to point forward for regular viewing or backward so I can use it as a HUD. SMT and the Torque app both have HUD modes.

Someone asked about what apps to use. I use an app called Car Home Ultra, which is a dashboard that you can add buttons to for controlling other apps. I have SMT and Torque for car data, Waze and Google Maps for nav, a Speedometer and Acceleromator. I also use Dragy and the Tesla app.

Attachments

• screenshot-6.jpg
    screenshot-6.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and aerodyne
Great minds think alike. I am also attaching my tablet using the Steelie system. I use two of the disks, one on the dash and one on the tablet. Then I put a 2in steel ball between them. This way I can tilt the tablet to point forward for regular viewing or backward so I can use it as a HUD. SMT and the Torque app both have HUD modes.

Someone asked about what apps to use. I use an app called Car Home Ultra, which is a dashboard that you can add buttons to for controlling other apps. I have SMT and Torque for car data, Waze and Google Maps for nav, a Speedometer and Acceleromator. I also use Dragy and the Tesla app.

I will assume the Steelie system works for lighter tablets? It seems to be that it's designed for phones, so I would assume it won't hold that much weight.

I tried Torque Pro today and it put the car in limp mode (acceleration reduced warning) when scanning for protocols.

I am using the ODBLink LX with the GPSTrackingAmerica ODB2 harness on a 2020 M3P. ScanMyTesla works without issues.
You need a different adapter. The EVTV adapter works well with Torque. It takes raw canbus data and processes it to convert to standard OBDII PIDs.

Here's my solution. Using Samsung Dex on my Note 10+. I just plug my phone into the USB like I'm charging it and throw it in the mount. I have full control of my phone and all apps in a desktop format on the 13.3" touchscreen monitor. I don't feel bad leaving the monitor in there 24/7 and connecting my phone when I get in. I was using my iPad before, but I never wanted to leave it in there and it got annoying having to remove and install it every time.
20200528_213002.jpg
20200528_212917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: