Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed new e-brake caliper and will not engage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have been putting together a 2014 MS 85 and I am on the last step which is hooking up the new park brake caliper since the previous one was smashed to smithereens in the accident. I spliced in a brand new female connector into the harness and plugged everything in. The caliper is getting power and there is response when I press the button to engage/disengage. I hear a noise in the caliper like it is trying to engage but not actually doing anything. I went back through all the splices and connections are all kosher. At a loss currently.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or has anyone run into a similar issue? Is there a flash or a reprogram required when installing the new e-brake caliper?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

I hadn't thought about that. I need to find the VIN of the donor caliper. The 2014 I am building is an AP1 car so I am guessing it needs an AP1 compatible caliper.
It's not specifically the caliper, but the brake booster, and the applicable booster fuses etc. AP1 car should have everything you need, if you pulled the caliper off a non AP car im not sure if that would cause an issue or not, but worth exploring

Scroll down a bit to @wk057 's adventure in making a non AP car an AP car. Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET

Reactions: AutobahnEV
It's not specifically the caliper, but the brake booster, and the applicable booster fuses etc. AP1 car should have everything you need, if you pulled the caliper off a non AP car im not sure if that would cause an issue or not, but worth exploring

Scroll down a bit to @wk057 's adventure in making a non AP car an AP car. Autopilot Retrofit on Classic P85 | wk057's SkieNET
OK perfect, the car already has the AP1 ibooster, monocam, sensors etc so that's all good. I seem to have figured it out. Since the left rear e brake was disengaged and the right rear was engaged, they were out of sync so it seemed the car was confused about that (correct me if I am wrong). So what I did: First, I unplugged the new caliper in the open position, then I had someone get in the car and put it into neutral and disengage the other side so both calipers were open, then had him release the brake pedal and press park so the calipers would both engaged from the open position and it worked! The Park Brake warning light is gone and they're functioning properly. Now I need to figure out how to get rid of the "Park Assist Disabled" light and she will be roadworthy.

Any tips or instructions on how to replace the e brake calipers I had a set powder coated and need to swap the factory ones out.
Make sure the car is in neutral (on flat ground of course)
Unplug the current calipers
Take out the 16mm connecting bolts (x2)
Remove calipers
Replace with new calipers
Tighten the 16mm bolts
Plug everything back in
Should be on the road