Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed the Fuel Shark Device. Would like to know the opinion of my TMC friends.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean 9.8 liters per 100 km? (About the same as my previous car - a 1998 Honda CR-V.)

Also, are you for real? Did you actually buy this product? If no, good satire! A scathing criticism of mankinds inherent gulliability! If yes, I'm sorry to say that it's just a placebo and doesn't work.

We all are susceptible to magical thinking when our desire for a given result exceeds the available technology's ability to deliver. This effect is very strong in the the field of medical quackery and audio products. At least the audio products don't hurt anyone.

Sir, your words wound me with such claims of "quackery" in the high-end audio arena.

I give you the Less Loss Blackbody Ambient Field Conditioner

I don't know how I got along without it previously.

Do you mean 9.8 liters per 100 km? (About the same as my previous car - a 1998 Honda CR-V.)

Also, are you for real? Did you actually buy this product? If no, good satire! A scathing criticism of mankinds inherent gulliability! If yes, I'm sorry to say that it's just a placebo and doesn't work.

Give him a break. Clearly Raffy was trying to do the right thing here, there is no need to mock (especially when he was open enough about it to put it out to the forum).

Got an average consumption of 9.8 km/liter with Fuel Shark installed.
Tomorrow I will get same data without Fuel Shark.

Experiment concerning the gas average consumption temporarily stopped. Today it happened that the lpg system of my car (that was broken because of a failure of one of its parts according to my lpg mechanic) worked fine!
Maybe that the lpg system of my car didn't work because of an unbalancement of the electrical system of the car rather than because of a failure of a part of the lpg system and that such an electrical unbalancement has been fixed by the Fuel Shark? In fact the Fuel Shark Device claims to act on the Electrical System on the car. If the lpg system works it's sure that the part that was broken according to my lpg mechanic is ok and that the failure of the lpg system was due to something else.

If the Fuel Shark fixed the lpg system of my car the money that I spent to buy it was worth of it. :smile:

So I stopped the experiment about the gas consumption because my gas mechanic suggested me to keep using lpg.

Last edited:
Back in the carburetor era there was always a certain percentage of engines operating 'out of spec' i.e. too rich, too lean. or improperly timed (the exact moment of the spark). Especially after being messed with by unskilled home mechanics. So scammers sold air-bleed devices to name one such type of device. This bled extra air into the carburetor to "make the engine run better or more efficiently or both". Voila! this corrected the too-rich situation and garnered many genuine kudos from pleased customers. And on and on. Try a little snake oil on that cracker!

Raffy, you really really have to Jump That Shark. :rolleyes:
--

Raffy, you really really have to Jump That Shark. :rolleyes:
--

The lpg mechanic connected his fault detector machine to my car and told that the gas liquifier was broken and now the car il working fine when using lpg. It means that the gas liquifier is ok. So what was the problem of the car when using lpg? It was something else for sure.

Why not the electrical system of the car that was not balanced?

The lpg mechanic connected his fault detector machine to my car and told that the gas liquifier was broken and now the car il working fine when using lpg. It means that the gas liquifier is ok. So what was the problem of the car when using lpg? It was something else for sure.

Why not the electrical system of the car that was not balanced?
Well, for one thing, because the Fuel Shark doesn't have the ability to balance anything. It's basically a LED that you connect to the 12V power outlet.

There's also no need for a gas liquefier in an LPG car. Maybe he meant a gas vapourizer, which converts the liquefied petroleum gas from it's liquid state to it's gaseous state. Are you sure this guy even knew what he was talking about?

Well, for one thing, because the Fuel Shark doesn't have the ability to balance anything. It's basically a LED that you connect to the 12V power outlet.

Don't agree. There is an RC filter inside the Fuel Shark.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also no need for a gas liquefier in an LPG car. Maybe he meant a gas vapourizer, which converts the liquefied petroleum gas from it's liquid state to it's gaseous state. Are you sure this guy even knew what he was talking about?

Agree. IMO the lpg mechanic was trying to screw me. So now I am very happy that I don't need anymore the lpg mechanic.

Don't agree. There is an RC filter inside the Fuel Shark.
Well, not really. As you can see in the pictures from jalopnik, the capacitor is wired between +12V and GND, so the relevant circuit doesn't contain a resistor. RC circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only purpose of the capacitor is to serve as an excuse for why the device is supposed to work.

Sincerely,
Espen Hugaas Andersen
B.Eng Space Technology

Well, not really. As you can see in the pictures from jalopnik, the capacitor is wired between +12V and GND, so the relevant circuit doesn't contain a resistor. RC circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only purpose of the capacitor is to serve as an excuse for why the device is supposed to work.

Sincerely,
Espen Hugaas Andersen
B.Eng Space Technology

I read there was also a resistor. Actually the Fuel Shark is meant to be an RC filter to short high frequency voltage swings. This is what I read.

I read there was also a resistor. Actually the Fuel Shark is meant to be an RC filter to short high frequency voltage swings. This is what I read.
The resistor is in series with the LED. This is done to limit the current into the LED, or it'll burn.

A capacitor on the 12V line will of course smooth out the voltage somewhat. But we aren't talking about a huge capacitor, so the the effect will be completely negligible. It will have no effect whatsoever if the company that designed the electronics has done it's job properly. And in any case, it certainly won't affect things like spark plugs.

Edit: I could also mention that the electronics of a normal car will usually have a few capacitors on the 12V line. This is both to reduce the suceptability to noise, and to reduce the emittance of noise. So, the Fuel Shark doesn't do anything the electronics of a most cars don't already do.

Last edited:
I also read somewhere the value of the capacitance of the Fuel Shark. Don't remember it. The Fuel Shark is not meant to act on the Spark Plugs but on the 12V battery. If the Capacitances on the 12V line are in parallel they should add each other. So you can consider the Fuel Shark an extracapacitance. Maybe that for an old car like mine (2000) such an extracapacitance is needed to better balance the 12 V line.

Experiment concerning the gas average consumption temporarily stopped. Today it happened that the lpg system of my car (that was broken because of a failure of one of its parts according to my lpg mechanic) worked fine!
Maybe that the lpg system of my car didn't work because of an unbalancement of the electrical system of the car rather than because of a failure of a part of the lpg system and that such an electrical unbalancement has been fixed by the Fuel Shark? In fact the Fuel Shark Device claims to act on the Electrical System on the car. If the lpg system works it's sure that the part that was broken according to my lpg mechanic is ok and that the failure of the lpg system was due to something else.

If the Fuel Shark fixed the lpg system of my car the money that I spent to buy it was worth of it. :smile:

So I stopped the experiment about the gas consumption because my gas mechanic suggested me to keep using lpg.

If the FuelShark is supposed to help the electrical system, independent of the fuel burned in the engine, wouldn't the claimed effect be evident with LPG too?

By the way, the circuit is trivial. A 4.7kΩ resistor to limit the current through the LED to ~2.5mA, and a 1000µF capacitor to smooth the ripple on the 12V, but the effect on the vehicle electrical system will be quite negligible. There is absolutely no possibility that this circuit will provide the claimed benefit. As I already commented, the effect, of there is one at all, will be psychological. The $40 you spent and the blue light will remind you that you want to save money and you will subconsciously (or even consciously) drive more conservatively and realize a saving.

I also read somewhere the value of the capacitance of the Fuel Shark. Don't remember it. The Fuel Shark is not meant to act on the Spark Plugs but on the 12V battery. If the Capacitances on the 12V line are in parallel they should add each other. So you can consider the Fuel Shark an extracapacitance. Maybe that for an old car like mine (2000) such an extracapacitance is needed to better balance the 12 V line.
No, it isn't. The older a car is, the less electronics there is, and the less components are suceptable to noise.

Note that *if* there was an issue with excessive noise on the 12V line, it wouldn't affect the fuel economy. It would manifest in things like random reboots, flickering monitors, warning lights ligthing up and going away, noise on the sound system, etc. And the capacitor is almost certainly too small to help with such issues.

- - - Updated - - -

@Steve

Are you sure of that capacitance value (1000 microF) for the Fuel Shark?. I remember something like another value.

Anyway the cutoff frequency of the RC filter should be calculated exactly to say if the filter works or not.
198vv9olsm2sojpg.jpg

And as I explained earlier, there is no RC filter. There's just a C.

And the capacitor is almost certainly too small to help with such issues.

As I said the calculations should be done exactly with real values to say it. From my point of view I had the lpg system not working at all before to install the Fuel Shark and now the lpg system works fine (in spite of my lpg mechanic).
So I strongly suspect that the Fuel Shark helped me.

- - - Updated - - -

And as I explained earlier, there is no RC filter. There's just a C.

There are the resistive losses of the capacitance. You still have an RC filter. Then you also have the resistances consisting of the wires. Actually they are not even wires, they are metallic connections having their own resistance. So you do have resistances in the circuit.

As I said the calculations should be done exactly with real values to say it. From my point of view I had the lpg system not working at all before to install the Fuel Shark and now the lpg system works fine (in spite of my lpg mechanic).
So I strongly suspect that the Fuel Shark helped me.

Please tell me you are not serious. I have read many thoughtfull and wise posts from you in the Climate Change thread. Surely you must understand that you have bought a device with a blue LED and a 1000 mikro-Fahrad capacitor that can do absolutely nothing for your fuel consumption what so ever? In no possible way ever.