Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed the swivel mount this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4489.jpeg

I installed the 30° swivel mount on my 21 M3P and I absolutely love it. Like all the reviews/videos state, it looks like it could be from the factory and Tesla needs to implement this.

The plastic parts are a little cheap, but that doesn't detract from the aesthetics and the mount itself is damn sturdy. In fact, the swivel action seems to require more effort to turn than from what I’ve seen in the video reviews (which is a good thing).

After doing a bunch of research, I found that all the kits available look to be from the exact same manufacturer. So, the one you buy from Abstract Ocean ($259) is the same as the one from Tasmanian ($229), the same from Taptes ($184), or from Bomely on Amazon for $199.

After realizing that they are all the exact same kit, I set out to find the absolute lowest price and that was the DIBMS brand from Amazon that currently sells for $159… and with a 10% coupon currently available, I got it for $143. It arrived the next morning before I even got out of bed.

It took me about a half hour to install. The instructions are absolute crap and made no mention of the T-15 driver I needed (just throw the paper away and look at YouTube videos). The install is fairly easy as long as you take your time and watch others who've installed it first. In the end it looks great, is really solid, stays in place, and is one of my favorite mods so far. It makes me feel more like being in the cockpit of this rocket car.

IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice

Thinking about it myself

AliExpress has the same kit much cheaper at ~$100 but you got the amazon hassle free return if you change your mind and next day delivery (amazon resellers also get it from China suppliers)

Reactions: chrisduke
Looks good and thanks for sharing. Probably a pass for me, since I like the screen in its current standard/fix position. No problems seeing everything on the screen now and there are zero issues (i.e. no loss in brightness or contrast) with the slight off-axis viewing from the driver or passenger seat. So for me, tilting the screen would offer no real benefit/value, or improve the aesthetics. I’m also the type that prefers balance/symmetry, so I would probably not like the overall feel/look of the interior cabin as much if it had a tilted screen.

Of course, I can appreciate why some owners might like/enjoy a tilted screen. So, go for it!! 👍 I do think the electric/motorized ones are also pretty cool.

Cheers!!

Nice

Thinking about it myself

AliExpress has the same kit much cheaper at ~$100 but you got the amazon hassle free return if you change your mind and next day delivery (amazon resellers also get it from China suppliers)
Yep, based on my research looking at the parts, they appear to all be from the same Chinese manufacturer. Sometimes they are re-packaged to look different but in the end--it's the same kit. $143 at Amazon with the 10% off coupon (Amazon.com) was a no-brainer.

I found the exact same kit you got for $20 at the local Krazy Binz (amazon pallet return) store. Quite the steal, can't wait to install it
That's a super steal!!! Cheapest I have found on AliExprss is $72. But you will be waiting until mid-Jan before you would get it. Amazon is the safer bet, since returns are super easy if you don't like how it looks when you are done installing it.

Reactions: chrisduke
I'm tempted to do this but I keep seeing how it now has the screen sit ~2" lower than factory. Are you having any issues with that? Read that it possibly makes glare worse (not so sure about that) but I am still interested.

Reactions: Adam3
I'm tempted to do this but I keep seeing how it now has the screen sit ~2" lower than factory. Are you having any issues with that? Read that it possibly makes glare worse (not so sure about that) but I am still interested.
I heard it was 1 to 1-1/2" inches lower. I didn't measure before and after but no, it's not an issue at all for me or passengers. I don't see how it could make the glare worse.... at least now you can swivel it a bit to remove any sun glare whereas before you couldn't!

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Higgs1
Jeez, just installed this the other night. What a huge difference. I can see why the person returned it and why I found it at Krazy Binz - the threads to mount the screen to the bracket weren't threaded all the way through. But it was an easy fix - put it on the vice. Found the same pitch junk bolt I had laying around and forced it right through with my impact gun. Problem solved!

It's SO much nicer that it drops the screen down about 1.5" your driving view isn't blocked by the screen at all. The only downside is that if you look at your phone in the charger, you can't see your notifications. But really I shouldn't be looking at my phone anyways haha. The slight tilt towards me too is WAY nicer for the reduction of glare. I have a matte screen protector on but driving home every night (eastbound) I'd get BLASTED by the sun even with the matte. It's a no brainer mod really. I don't think I'd wanna pay $200 - for the $20 I spent it's amazing. I think $120-ish would be a great price point

This should really be in all M3/MY by default

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Higgs1
Jeez, just installed this the other night. What a huge difference. I can see why the person returned it and why I found it at Krazy Binz - the threads to mount the screen to the bracket weren't threaded all the way through. But it was an easy fix - put it on the vice. Found the same pitch junk bolt I had laying around and forced it right through with my impact gun. Problem solved!

It's SO much nice that it drops the screen down about 1.5" your driving view isn't blocked by the screen at all. The only downside is that if you look at your phone in the charge, you can't see your notifications. But really I shouldn't be looking at my phone anyways haha. The slight tilt towards me too is WAY nicer for the reduction of glare. I have a matte screen protector on but driving home every night (eastbound) I'd get BLASTED by the sun even with the matte. It's a no brainer mod really. I don't think I'd wanna pay $200 - for the $20 I spent it's amazing. I think $120 ish would be a great price point

This should really be in all M3/MY by default
Good write up, thanks! Sold me

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Also got mine installed today with the same brand the OP got. Was hesitant with all the reviews on amazon stating theirs wouldn't swivel at all but once you have it installed, it works just fine. Trying to move it by hand will not provided enough leverage needed to move it. Only part that scared me was after finishing the install. The screen started to freak out as if something was pressed but was fixed by doing a reset.

Definitely worth getting it as others have said. I did notice that the screen does have a slight back lean or titled upwards but doesn't affect the viewing angle. I also have a matte screen protector and I've never had a issue with glare.

For v2 console how much of the wireless charger does it block? The stock screen sits just above it letting me glance at the phone if there's a notification. I worry that the swivel will drop it enough to make it harder to see and possibly get the phone in/out of the charger & line it up..

Thoughts?

For v2 console how much of the wireless charger does it block? The stock screen sits just above it letting me glance at the phone if there's a notification. I worry that the swivel will drop it enough to make it harder to see and possibly get the phone in/out of the charger & line it up..

Thoughts
I have a note 20 ultra and I can barely see the notification icons, with the phone locked, as it blocks the upper half of the screen. With phone unlocked(home screen), you cannot see any notifications. Ymmv depending on seat position and size of phone. You could put the phone on the right side to see a bit more of the phone.

Reactions: Stokkes