TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Installed Torklift’s Eco Hitch

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by nam33r1, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nam33r1

nam33r1 Member

Installed the Eco Hitch on my model 3 this weekend. I can finally carry bikes again! The Hitch went on perfectly. Torklift packaged the hitch very well. I was really impressed with their packaging. The instructions leave a little to be desired but overall they were adequate. I also installed their front license plate holder called the Law.

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
  2. SZNJ

SZNJ Member

#2 SZNJ, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Were those pop out pins around the wheel well or the trim around the trunk liner hard to get out?

3. mekberg

mekberg Member

They're quite easy - especially compared to the ones on my prior 2009 bmw X3.

• Like x 1
  4. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Welcome to Eco-Hitch family!

• Like x 1
  5. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

That bike is suffocating without dirt on it!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. nam33r1

nam33r1 Member

Very easy to remove. The plastic trunk stops above the rear lights were a pain to remove.they screw on/off and there was some thread lock used so i had to use pliers to take them off being careful not to damage them. I also found that the wheel well lining was missing a pop out pin. 1 on each side! :(

• Informative x 1
  7. SZNJ

SZNJ Member

Well so much for the Sep-Nov delivery date! :) Should have my car Thursday. Just ordered my Eco hitch. Thanks for the tips.

8. SZNJ

SZNJ Member

I installed my Ecohitch this weekend. Not too bad but rather nerve wracking to pull your new car apart. I think Torklift needs to add some details to the process but in case anyone else is about to install here are a few points.

1. When you remove the only two tork bolts from behind the rear wheels there is a metal clip that can come off. Keep an eye out for that.
    2. The trunk rest (looks like a 10 sided plastic nut) do unscrew. Mine were so tight I was not sure and the paperwork suggest to pull from the bottom. The youtube video helps here.
    3. The paperwork with my hitch were a little behind as Tesla keeps improving things so hit their youtube channel which has a video closer to what my Model 3 had.

• Like x 1
  9. shiz

shiz Member

Does your average road bike look that wide compared to yours on that rack? Trying to get an idea how wide the M3 is.

Also what is the max towing capacity for that hitch?

I read of reports of concern for rust where these are bolted on, has that issue been addressed?

10. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

#10 xpitxbullx, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Model 3 - 72.8 inches in width (6 ft)

2000 lb tow capacity, 200 lb tongue weight.

Vinyl washer to place between the hitch and the frame to prevent corrosion. I would have preferred a full pad but this will do.

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Very clean install.

Think these are going to be very popular.

Expect some loss of range due to the additional aerodynamic drag from the bike.

12. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I wonder if the Model X ski rack would work for this, or if the ground clearance is sufficient.