Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installers can't install CT's because Meter is Locked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my PTO from LADWP and went through support to activate my Tesla app. When I checked the app, it showed the Solar production and Home usage reporting the exact same number of kWs and the grid was grayed out the whole day.

Then I remembered one of the installers mention something about not being able to install a device since the meter was locked by LADWP and would need a key to open the meter to connect the CT's (Current Transformers). There are 2 of them so I am assuming one is to track our home energy usage and the other is to track the grid. Has anyone encountered this? I am still waiting on Tesla to come back to me on this.

The two CT’s are for each of the split phases. I think it’s unusual to put something like that in the meter box. Usually goes on your feed into your main box. But things vary a lot from site to site. The Solar system knows how much it’s producing. So it can either go on pure load (not always possible) or your grid feed and they can adjust for placement.

Meter box is typically not “locked” but has a tamper seal. They should just cut that off and do the work. You or Tesla can notify what was done and they will seal it again. I’ve removed many and magically a new one appears.

5_breaker_photo_JB-91320059-00_photo_09b957f0-cae3-11ea-a142-e94baa3fe66c.jpg

This is my main panel and you can see the 2 CTs attached to the left side behind the wires. I assume the CTs go around the wires to the main breaker which are at the top but I don't see any wires. The bottom wires are from the solar inverter.

The meter is located above the main panel, and it does have a tamper seal, but it also has a barrel lock, so there is no way to see what is above the main panel. Is there any place I can place the CTs in the main panel?

There's no way to put the CTs in your main panel around a single conductor each.

Do you have a Backup Gateway, or just a regular Gateway?

What are the two 40 amp breakers? If you have a backup Gateway, I'm surprised there's not also a large 100A to 200A breaker going to it.

If only one of the 40 amp breakers needs instrumenting (e.g. the other one is for solar), then what you can do is put one CT around each of the conductors going to it. All the other breakers are 20A or 15A, so you could splice on a length of conductor, pass it through the correct CT in the correct direction, and then reconnect it to the breaker.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 574031

This is my main panel and you can see the 2 CTs attached to the left side behind the wires. I assume the CTs go around the wires to the main breaker which are at the top but I don't see any wires. The bottom wires are from the solar inverter.

The meter is located above the main panel, and it does have a tamper seal, but it also has a barrel lock, so there is no way to see what is above the main panel. Is there any place I can place the CTs in the main panel?

I see, yeah, I think you need to get into the top. I'm surprised the top is locked though.

There's no way to put the CTs in your main panel around a single conductor each.

Do you have a Backup Gateway, or just a regular Gateway?

What are the two 40 amp breakers? If you have a backup Gateway, I'm surprised there's not also a large 100A to 200A breaker going to it.

If only one of the 40 amp breakers needs instrumenting (e.g. the other one is for solar), then what you can do is put one CT around each of the conductors going to it. All the other breakers are 20A or 15A, so you could splice on a length of conductor, pass it through the correct CT in the correct direction, and then reconnect it to the breaker.

Cheers, Wayne

He might be able to put them on what's feeding the meter but he's locked out.

There is probably a lock ring on the meter which is preventing access to the upper compartment. You can call the electric company and ask them to remove the lock ring saying you electrician needs to work on your service.

I'm not sure why the installer used a splice in the panel when you have plenty of open breaker positions. He should have installed a new breaker instead of splicing like that. While not against the NEC, splices are generally avoided in the main panel if reasonably possible.

Also, using a crimp barrel for the ground is strange. I don't know why they didn't just attach it to the ground bus.

And just to continue to critique the electrical, the ground bushing probably was required. No harm in using one, just overkill. They used them in every conduit in my install, so I assume it is a Tesla policy.

Last edited: