Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a electric brake controller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at buying a bushwhacker 10HD trailer to tow behind my Tesla, its only 1300lbs and fully loaded for me will prob be in the 1800lb area. the trailer comes with electric brakes but would it really be necessary to install a brake controller? I know the X and Y have a plug under the dash just for installing a brake controller so its easy for those cars but I'm pretty sure the S has no such plug. which would mean I would run a wire off the 12v battery just for this and wire it up like it was any old car i just don't think the trailer brakes are necessary on such a light trailer.

Has anyone installed a brake controller on their S or have any towing experience with a trailer of this similar weight?

From the DOT's viewpoint, if the gross weight is less than 2 tons, you don't need trailer brakes. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going downhill quite a bit.

Just wire up your lights and call it a day.
A Tesla model S when loaded up (max cargo capacity is 889lbs) is about 5,600lbs hell the curb weight alone is more than 2 tons. With the trailer my GVWR will be around 5,200lbs

No, you don't need trailer brakes. Those might only be required by law when the trailer and its cargo weigh more than 2,000 lbs. I've towed for years with my Model 3 and Torklift EcoHitch, with a trailer+cargo weight of up to 1500 lbs and there is no need for trailer brakes for small trailers like this.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
We have a 22 TMX Plaid and just installed Tekonsia Prodigy P3 controller for our 1300 # Stealth Alcom all aluminum cargo trailer with 4 wheel electric brakes.
If you decide on this option be very careful about the wiring and factory connector located in the footwell. You can purchase from T parts for $4 the factory plug and harness but the only wire that is correct is the blue wire going to the 7 way. There is a You Tube video by Bearded Tesla Guy to help and good tips on mounting.

Attachments

• 20230407_182203.jpg
    20230407_182203.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230407_121914.jpg
    20230407_121914.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 49