TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installing a home charger

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by NoVIN4Me, Feb 5, 2016.

1. NoVIN4Me

NoVIN4Me Member

This will be my first electric car. When should I start installing the charger? Also if I plan to buy a second Tesla next year (likely the S), does it change how I should be setting up the first charger?

2. elguapo

elguapo Member

I had mine installed months before my S just because I was impatient. It's usually a quick install, so you can also wait until you find out when you'll get delivery. As for other chargers with two Teslas, it's really personal preference. If you have the 72A for the X and dual for the S, many people get on TM HPWC installed and switch it between cars as they charge fairly fast on it. Others just get two NEMA 14-50s - one for each car. Again, personal preference. Also, it can depend on what your current electrical panel can hold and cost.

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Probably a good idea to start the process whenever you place your order. There is a good FAQ that FlasherZ maintains here:

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

Depending on what your house wiring looks like and whether or not you want to be able to charge both Teslas at the same time, there are things you might want to do to accommodate two cars. A licensed electrician will be able to give you some options based on your requirements.

Do you plan on installing a NEMA 14-50 or a HPWC? Are you getting a 72A or 40A charger on your Tesla? If you have pictures of your breaker panel and some information about where that panel is in relation to where you want to charge your car, we can offer some additional guidance.

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I'd suggest that if you are going to charge 2 vehicles, then you seriously consider having greater than 50A charging available in your garage, as each vehicle can take upwards of 9 hours for a full charge, although it will likely be often that you'll only need a partial charge each day.

Options:

1- Two 50A circuits in to your garage feeding NEMA 14-50 outlets and use the UMC that comes with the vehicle

2- Two 50A circuits in to your garage feeding HPWC's, each set @ 50A

3- One 100A circuit in to your garage feeding a single HPWC set @ 100A

4- Two 100A circuits in to your garage feeding HPWC's, each set @ 100A

My recommendation would be for #2 above (or #4 if your house electrical panel supports it).. reasoning:

Option #1 requires you to use the UMC, which is designated a mobile connector... although many people use it for primary home charging, I like to always have a UMC in the car just in case, so either you have to roll it up each morning when you leave, and then take it back out when you get home, or you buy a second one for each car. If you do that... you might as well buy HPWC's instead.

Option #2 or 4 Each allow you plug in the car and simply allow it to charge for as long as needs over night. Plus it provides you hardwired connections (which I prefer for high-current applications), allows you to keep your UMC in the car, has longer cables, and looks cleaner overall.

Option #3 allows you to fully charge both cars within an overnight period, but potentially means having to swap a single cable between two cars, likely at some time during the night. Having a higher power connections is nice if you need a "fast turnaround" charge on a single vehicle at some point during the day.

5. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Unless you will routinely do 100s of miles per day, and therefore have the 72 A charger setup in the car, with no superchargers on your routes, there is no need to consider an HPWC. I've been using the UMC on a NEMA 14-50 for over two years and I see no deficiency in that setup for routine charging, notwithstanding the word "mobile" in its name.

The only downside is that, without buying a second one, you do have to disconnect the UMC and stow in in the car when you go exploring, instead of just having one take up space in the car all the time. You could forget to do that and find yourself without it in an un-supercharged location. I keep a CHAdeMO adapter in the car all the time for that, as I have little patience for level 2 charging when traveling.

I'm tempted to make snarky remarks about the enthusiasm of Tesla owners for indulging in overkill to help get rid of money, but I will (mostly) resist the urge. ;-)

6. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Keep in mind that you don't need to bring the UMC on the road necessarily. Most public charging stations are J1772 and you just need the little adapter that comes with the car. The UMC would only be needed if you can't find a J1772 or an HPWC and need to plug-in to a NEMA 14-50 or regular household plug.

If you plan on charging at a Tesla store, bring the UMC. While they have HPWC's, they also have 14-50's in case the HPWCs are taken.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Plan on getting an HPWC for your Tesla and set up your electrical so you can charge at 80A. Charges twice as fast as 40A and then you can keep the Model S UMC cable in your car at all times. Very convenient all around.
    As you can see, there are varied opinions on these issues. This has been endlessly discussed on these forums.

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Well, you may feel there isn't.

The HPWC has a longer cable.
    It comes with cable management/hanger included.
    Even with less than "hundreds" of miles, using >40A charging may allow for TOU rates for some folks.
    There isn't a separate casing in the cable that weighs a couple of pounds hanging off the plug head that some people have had to rig up brackets for.
    It's not much more expensive than a second UMC should you desire an in-car cable
    It looks cooler. (<--big consideration!)

So there are indeed reasons to at least consider an HPWC.

Best to spell out the options for the OP to make an informed decision, no?

Passive/aggressive fail.

9. Commuter

Commuter Member

I am also considering setting up garage charging for two electric vehicles. Here is my situation:

• 200 amp panel
    • 72A charger on MX arriving this summer most likely. Future electric car would also likely be configured for charging greater than 40A
    • Long run from the panel to the garage. Approximately 50 feet, and not sure how to route it as there is no attic space between the panel and the garage. Maybe route it outside somehow?
    • 3 car garage with 3 separate garage doors. Two of the bays are used for cars, other bay used for bikes, tools, etc. There may be enough space between the doors to install a HPWC.

I would prefer to have two 100A circuits feeding the garage to allow for maximum charging capabilities, but this would require a panel upgrade. Not sure if this is even possible. Alternatively, I could have one 100A circuit feeding a single HPWC, but then how could I install a second HPWC or a Nema 14-50 outlet? I would like to take advantage of TOU rates and I don't think waking up in the middle of the night to swap the cable would be very attractive.

10. pvogel

pvogel Member

I had a Tesla wall connector (HPWC) installed yesterday, even though load calc on my 125A electrical service meant that the HPWC is wired into a dedicated 40A breaker for a max charge rate of 32A I preferred the $450 HPWC, it looks better and I needed the 25' cable. Just looking at the options it seemed like a much easier to manage system than a second mobile charger to keep at home plugged into a NEMA 14-50 plug.

The electrician recommended by Tesla had a very efficient process with a virtual walk around (instructions for 7 pictures they needed me to send) and had a load calc and estimate to me on Monday morning after I sent the pictures on Saturday morning. Accepted the estimate monday morning and paid my deposit and they had the permit by Monday afternoon and were ready to install on wednesday but it worked better for my schedule for them to install yesterday. They were in the garage for less than 2 hours and will be there to host the inspector from the city when the city schedules inspection.

No muss, no fuss, reasonably priced, they provided the HPWC, etc. I played with the cable and stuff yesterday and I'm really glad I went this route. If I just had something plugged into a NEMA plug it would quickly turn into a mess. Here, the cable is real quick to rehang on the cable mount.

Now, if only my Model X would arrive so I could baptize the new charger :)

Peter+

11. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Or Option #5, which I did, is an HPWC and a 14-50 outlet. I will only have 1 Tesla (for now) but being a belt & suspenders guy, I put the 14-50 in as a backup if there is a problem with the HPWC. It will be useful if I get a second Tesla down the road.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

$450 HPWC? Sweet! Where'd you get it that cheap? ;-)

13. pvogel

pvogel Member

Whoops! Old man memory kicking in. $750

Peter+

14. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I decided on one HPWC set at 72 amp on a 100 amp circuit and a NEMA 14-50 on a 50 amp circuit. Luckily I have three 200 amp panels so capacity won't be an issue. All three panels are also connected to a whole house generator. The panels are in the garage about 30 feet from where the HPWC/NEMA 14-50 will be installed. The electrician is scheduled to be here on Monday to do the work. My car is scheduled to be delivered between 2/10 and 2/17

Production VIN 251 | Model X P90D

15. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Charging party at Darryl's house! ;-)

16. brianvicars

brianvicars Member

Darryl, that is really nice that you have access to that amount of power. I installed my HPWC last year (after paying $1,200 for the unit. Owch.) and wish to point out one of the flexibilities of the connector. Although I installed the unit with wire capable of carrying 80 amps, it is not a requirement of installation. You can install the unit with whatever wire size your main panel has the load calculation capacity for. If, for example, you are only able to supply 40 amps continuous to the connector, the person installing the circuit only has to adjust the connector dip switches accordingly, as per the installation manual. If in the future, you upgrade you main service panel, all that is necessary is to similarly upgrade your wiring and adjust the dip switches in the connector. Done.

17. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

My one recommendation is to make sure you consider where the charge port is on the car when selecting where to install the charger.

18. brianvicars

brianvicars Member

Good point, Skotty, however, when I installed my HPWC I had no idea that software version 7.1 would allow me to back my vehicle into the garage automatically. My wife especially. would not have consider backing in manually. I may have to reposition my connector.

19. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Can we ask the car to park itself in reverse in the garage, while we are in the car ? I don't have a Tesla yet, sorry if it's a stupid question

20. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Just got the home charger done. Here is a pic:

Tesla Home Charger.JPG