TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installing a HPWC?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by aviators99, Oct 21, 2012.

1. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

With all of the delays in manufacturing, it may now be the case that the HPWC will be available before my car. The problem is that I haven't heard any news on this. I would like to plan whether I need to install the 14-50 to be ready for the car, or if the HPWC will be ready on its own.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Different development/delay track. Still targeted for end of November, last I heard.

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

You'll also probably want to install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 (1 less wire = costs less) on that run until the HPWC comes in.
    From the ownership experience team regarding exactly this (for me):
    temp-6-50.png

4. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I definitely won't be installing a 6-50. I will pick my choice of adapters based on what's actually out there in the real world. I think Tesla is being foolish for recommending this (unless they are going to throw in another adapter for free).

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1. You'll find 14-50 at RV campgrounds everywhere. You'll find 6-50 pretty much nowhere.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It's my understanding that if you ordered a hpwc they do indeed throw in the 6-50 adapter for use in the interim. As I understood it from them (and my electrician), doing this makes for much easier wiring when the hpwc lands.

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

The adapters are supposedly $75 or something. I haven't found out yet. So unless your run from the panel to the plug is short, it may cost you more to install a 14-50 than to install a 6-50 (temporarily) and convert to the HPWC.

8. Jason S

I was asked if I'd be installing an interim 14-50 or 6-50. I asked why and the response was I'd get a 6-50 adapter along with the others if I was getting a temporary 6-50.

I'm not having a 6-50 installed as interim since I'll use very little energy from home for the daily driving and can get that as an overnight charge. If desperate for a charge I can get 30A from the local mall or a nice man nearby has a Roadster adapter available at his office. ... I'll need to order a Roadster adapter for that and for the likely stopping point between here and my in-laws' place.

9. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

Anyone else notice a shipping charge attached to their delayed HPWC? I love the car, but these hidden costs are pretty annoying.

10. ibcs

ibcs Member

I was told it would be sent overnight once it was available for free.

11. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Yup! Had a $35 shipping charge on my MVPA for HPWC Shipping.

12. Jason S

Shipping cost for the HPWC was called out in my MVPA as a separate $35 charge. I dunno where other folks are getting their info.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Mine shows a shipping charge as well.

14. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

My original MVPA did not have this shipping charge added; first time I saw this charge was when I digitally signed the documents, prior to picking up my vehicle.

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Actually, I find the 6-50R's in a lot of places -- maybe I frequent too many machine shops. :) The challenge with these is that they're usually indoors and sometimes away from any doors -- that said, they do work in a pinch.

I have a few 6-50R's already in my detached shop. When I did the wiring for the garage, though, I installed a 14-50R in bay 2 and when the HPWC arrives I'll do the wiring for it in bay 1 (where the S's home will be). The 14-50R was installed for future EV needs (and I can always use a simple adapter to plug my 6-50P equipped welder in).

16. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I think the advantage of the 6-50 is that like the HPWC it only requires a three wire connection, where as the 14-50 requires a separate ground and neutral. Not a big difference, but it if you're pulling a wire, might as well pull the right one.

17. DaveVa

From Tesla Ownership Experience:

"The High Powered Wall Connector is still pending UL approval and will start shipping out once we have received that approval. We expect this to happen before the end of this year."

18. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

From my dealings with UL, this can take ~8-12 weeks for the entire approval process. They can pay a fee to expedite the approval to bring it down to 4-8 weeks.

19. DaveVa

I wonder if it takes longer given the high power nature of the HPWC?

20. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I suspect they are just backed up. UL tests stuff like this all the time, it's all pretty standard stuff.