Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Instrument Cluster Dashboard Displayer mickey mouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, so I have been looking at this for a while. Looks nice but kinda expensive. There is many reviews on this product. I was wondering if this is ok to install on the Tesla. I have heard installing third-party accessories involving electronics is safe and not safe. I was looking at this instrument cluster for the tesla. Some ppl say they installed this and then when an update is installed the cluster does not function. Basically, your installing this through the MCU with a splitter harness then connected to the display. I was wondering how safe this is and the warranty. This just mostly displays the speed and basic functions. Any suggestions would be great thanks

Attachments

• tes info.jpg
    tes info.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,150
Maybe take a look through this thread which talks about dashboard installs:

The first question though is, why do you feel you need something like that?

Even though I have 3 levels of my cervical spine fused, I’d rather turn my head five degrees to look at that same info on the car’s built in display than have Mickey Mouse mounted to my steering column.

If the after market displays showed information that can’t be displayed on the car’s screen I could see some justification for it, but to just have it show the same stuff as the car‘s display seems redundant.

Kinda seems like a case of turn your head slightly and save a few hundred bucks.

And there is a very good chance of a software update turning it into a very expensive Mickey Mouse hat.

Reactions: Kimmi
I had no need for something like this until December when Tesla destroyed the user interface so they can advertise FSD all the time. I find the current layout far less useful and more difficult to see at a glance.

I've been looking at adding this display myself, because then Tesla can do whatever other fad based stupidity they plan on the user interface, and I'll have a proper unchanging UI for critical car info. I really don't understand the arguments against a line-of-sight display, especially as both Model S and X have them.

Here is the best install video that I've come across:

In the US, Tesla is not allowed to void your warranty for adding after-market items to your car. If something goes wrong, they need to prove that it was the after-market item that caused the problem in order to avoid a warranty claim. They could do that if your MCU died for example, but would not be able to deny a broken bumper or a bad battery claim.

I’ll comment the same thing again. Why do we attack people? He did not ask if you liked it, he asked about install and safety. Clearly looking for an expert not an opinion about the interior design. Guess what, I too like gauges. Guess what else, most of the other electric cars coming out have them as well. maybe there was another reason for convincing all that minimalist was best like - I don’t know - it’s cheaper and easier?

Let the guy do what he wants to his car that he is paying for.

I’ll comment the same thing again. Why do we attack people? He did not ask if you liked it, he asked about install and safety. Clearly looking for an expert not an opinion about the interior design. Guess what, I too like gauges. Guess what else, most of the other electric cars coming out have them as well. maybe there was another reason for convincing all that minimalist was best like - I don’t know - it’s cheaper and easier?

Let the guy do what he wants to his car that he is paying for.

Because this is how most Tesla owners are. Snobby, entitled, and think their opinion is be all end all. People think the minimalistic is for design purposes. News flash, it was to save money….

I would definitely add gauges or a hud to this car if it doesn’t block vents and won’t be rendered useless with a software update.

Because this is how most Tesla owners are. Snobby, entitled, and think their opinion is be all end all. People think the minimalistic is for design purposes. News flash, it was to save money….

I would definitely add gauges or a hud to this car if it doesn’t block vents and won’t be rendered useless with a software update.
Imo guages don't really solve anything...with guages you need to take your eyes off the road to look down anyways...in teslas you have to look down and right...its pretty much the same motion and either way you take your eyes off the road. What they need imo are heads up displays...especially with a car that accelerates so fast you want to be able to see your speed but at the same time keep your eyes on the road or as close to on the road as possible.

Imo guages don't really solve anything...with guages you need to take your eyes off the road to look down anyways...in teslas you have to look down and right...its pretty much the same motion and either way you take your eyes off the road. What they need imo are heads up displays...especially with a car that accelerates so fast you want to be able to see your speed but at the same time keep your eyes on the road or as close to on the road as possible.

okay so I guess every car including model s and x shouldn’t have gauges? Lol the screen is further away than gauges so you have to look further away to see relevant information.

I’m fine with the way the car is, but if a gauge option comes out with the criteria I mentioned I would buy it.

okay so I guess every car including model s and x shouldn’t have gauges? Lol the screen is further away than gauges so you have to look further away to see relevant information.

I’m fine with the way the car is, but if a gauge option comes out with the criteria I mentioned I would buy it.
yeh not of any significant difference in distance...takes just as long/as much effort to divert your eyes to what you want to see, and either way you have almost no peripheral vision of the road so the guage cluster really is redundant...the model S and X shouldn't have guages...they should all have HUDs...love the model 3 with no guage because theres nothing blocking the view of the road...but it needs a HUD

• Disagree
Reactions: bpobill