Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Amazon Echo Auto in Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have purchased an Echo Auto and it works with my phone, however, I can’t get Alexa to go through my car’s speakers. There is no manual hookup available and the Bluetooth doesn’t seem to take a device in addition to my phone. I get the Exho voice only on my phone speakers. Does anyone know how to make this work through a Model Y or 3?

I have purchased an Echo Auto and it works with my phone, however, I can’t get Alexa to go through my car’s speakers. There is no manual hookup available and the Bluetooth doesn’t seem to take a device in addition to my phone. I get the Exho voice only on my phone speakers. Does anyone know how to make this work through a Model Y or 3?
Echo auto works through your phone connection. You cannot pair it directly to the car.

Make sure it is set up correctly in your Alexa app, then make sure you have “phone” selected as the audio source in your Tesla.

That is all.

Echo auto works through your phone connection. You cannot pair it directly to the car.

Make sure it is set up correctly in your Alexa app, then make sure you have “phone” selected as the audio source in your Tesla.

That is all.

I don't have one, but now I'm curious how this works. What part "hears" the question when you talk to Alexa in this setup? The Echo Auto device? Wouldn't that be lower quality than the car's own bluetooth mic?

I don't have one, but now I'm curious how this works. What part "hears" the question when you talk to Alexa in this setup? The Echo Auto device? Wouldn't that be lower quality than the car's own bluetooth mic?
It's for cars that don't necessarily have microphones, but you're probably right. In principle, there's no reason why the Tesla couldn't run an Alexa client natively. In principle.

Now that I think about it, I guess the issue is that the car mic isn't "always listening". So without that, they'd have to use the Echo Auto mic, at least for the wake word.
Right. Although, of course, nothing really stops Tesla from integrating Alexa so that pressing the button on the steering wheel is the wake word for it.

Having said that, Tesla's support for voice recognition is half-assed right now. It can understand the words just fine, but has very few commands that it honors. They're not taking this feature seriously.

Reactions: jsight
Right. Although, of course, nothing really stops Tesla from integrating Alexa so that pressing the button on the steering wheel is the wake word for it.

Having said that, Tesla's support for voice recognition is half-assed right now. It can understand the words just fine, but has very few commands that it honors. They're not taking this feature seriously.

I agree, I was really surprised to find out there is no direct way to trigger Google Assistant.

It is obviously pretty easy to do, judging by how many other manufacturers do it.

Reactions: Electric Steve
yep -- what ^^^ said... Works fine. I have it plugged in at the armrest with armrest closed - Alexa hears me. Works great - I can use Sirius xm streaming/Apple Music/etc. Right now - AMZ has it for $20 - a steal -- buy.
Works great for me , I also now have access to my sirusxm account through the Echo auto . I recently upgraded my Amazon music account to HD . Wow great sound.
$20 buck is a a good buy.

Last edited:
The echo auto device hears the wake word.

...which then hotspots to your phone to play the content. So the quality is the same as streaming directly to the car from your phone.

Reactions: jsight
Works great for me , I also now have access to my sirusxm account through the Echo auto . I recently upgraded my Amazon music account to HD . Wow great sound.
$20 buck is a a good buy.
I really like using the Echo Auto to listen to SiriusXM as well as Audible books without having to fumble with the phone while driving. Occasionally it has connection issues, especially in the first 1-2 minutes after starting the car. Unfortunately the Prime Day deal has ended so the price is back to $49.99.

FWIW I was an early adopter of the Echo Auto in 2 cars. Lots of teething pains. Inconsistent connection to iPhone/Amazon app, inconsistent Bluetooth connection. Sort of a PITA to have to switch sources back & forth. But with the latest Amazon iPhone app they have substantially improved Bluetooth connectivity and awareness of when the app connects to the Auto. You also get a streamlined app interface for driving. So now way much better. But still hijacks the volume setting on your iPhone and I am constantly adjusting it both in the car and away from it.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: JBT66 and jsight
Tesla isn't open to Apple/Amazon/Google integration. Forget CarPlay, I'd be happy with Siri hands Free. But then I'd use it to open my HomeKit garage door.... and I wouldn't need to buy Tesla's Homelink upgrade..... :rolleyes:

I think what would make it less annoying, would be for Tesla to redesign the M3/MY music interface. It's really a train wreck... I had economy rental cars a decade ago with better music UI. The first thing they could do is move the music menu to the top of the screen vs. bottom and make it a pull down. Looking that far down and over just to navigate and change a station is ridiculous - and unsafe. Then, just add iPhone and Android music browsing. Oh... wait.... and then I wouldn't have to pay $9.99 a month for Tesla streaming.... :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: Jimt29
I really like using the Echo Auto to listen to SiriusXM as well as Audible books without having to fumble with the phone while driving. Occasionally it has connection issues, especially in the first 1-2 minutes after starting the car. Unfortunately the Prime Day deal has ended so the price is back to $49.99.

I suspect it will be back to 20 for black Friday.

AMZN has a Today's Deal on the Echo Auto device; Normally the Echo Auto is $49.99, today only you can purchase an Echo Auto for use in your Tesla vehicle. The Echo Auto works with your smart phone and the Alexa App. Today only the sale price is $19.99 (60% off the regular price.) With the Echo Auto paired with your phone you can issue voice commands to Alexa including playing music from your phone's music library, listen to Audible books and podcasts. You can even select the channels from the Sirius/XM app if you have an active Sirius/XM subscription. The Echo Auto is always waiting for the Alexa app wake word, typically you set this to be "Alexa", so no need to press a button when issuing a command.

I'm still waiting for the day I can say "Alexa, release the hounds."

Reactions: JBT66 and ArtK
See post #3. According to VaxAce you can place the Echo Auto inside the center console with the cover closed and it will still hear you when you speak Alexa commands. There is only one required wire, for power. This is a USB power cable, can be plugged into the 12V accessory port inside the center console with the included power adapter (the 12V adapter has 2 USB power ports) In vehicles without BT support you can also connect to the vehicle's audio system via a 3.5mm audio cable.