Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Amazon Echo Auto in Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain the advantage of using Echo Auto? I just use the Alexa App on my phone which connects to the car just like streaming music.
Well, you're in the right thread so you may want to start reading from page 1.

In short, with the Echo Auto paired with your phone you can issue voice commands to Alexa including playing music from your phone's music library, listen to Audible books and podcasts. You can even select the channels from the Sirius/XM app if you have an active Sirius/XM subscription. The Echo Auto is always waiting for the Alexa app wake word, typically you set this to be "Alexa", so no need to press a button when issuing a command. The Echo Auto has a sensitive microphone array so that when you speak to Alexa your commands can be recognized over road noise and even most music.

Well, you're in the right thread so you may want to start reading from page 1.

In short, with the Echo Auto paired with your phone you can issue voice commands to Alexa including playing music from your phone's music library, listen to Audible books and podcasts. You can even select the channels from the Sirius/XM app if you have an active Sirius/XM subscription. The Echo Auto is always waiting for the Alexa app wake word, typically you set this to be "Alexa", so no need to press a button when issuing a command. The Echo Auto has a sensitive microphone array so that when you speak to Alexa your commands can be recognized over road noise and even most music.

Echo App does all of the above

Echo App does all of the above
True but unless you are using the Echo Auto device you have to first unlock your phone, press the Alexa app talk button. The value of the Echo Auto is that it is always on, listening while you are driving. There is no need to pick up your phone to access the Alexa app while driving.

Also, when the Alexa app detects that the Echo Auto is powered on (when you turn on the vehicle) the Alexa app enter Auto Mode. Auto Mode is a simplified Alexa UI for use while driving if you need to interact with Alexa via the phone. When the Alexa Auto Mode is active the Alexa app on your phone behaves like a voice actuated version of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The Alexa Auto mode commands include:

Navigate to "address" for turn by turn voice directions to your destination. Alexa Auto setup lets the user select their preferred map/navigation app (Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze.) Once you accept and start on a route the phone navigation/map app will display the route.

Play <audio program>. This is really powerful because Alexa has skills for so many streaming services. The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y lack SiriusXM receivers but if you have a SiriusXM account you can enable the SiriusXM Alexa Skill. Then you can just say "Alexa - play Classic Rock on SiriusXM. Also works for TuneIn, IHeartRadio, Audible, Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music. (The only thing that I have found that you can't do is ask Alexa to play music from your iTunes library that is on your phone.) When playing an audio streaming source via the Alexa app the data rate plan on your phone will be used.

Call <Contact Name> - If you give the Alexa app access to your phone you can place calls using Alexa.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
Does linking the Echo Auto to the Y sound system via Bluetooth disable Bluetooth for phone calls? I thought the Tesla only allows one Bluetooth connection at a time?
No. It is confusing until you start using the Echo Auto. Your phone continues to connect to the vehicle over Bluetooth without any change. The Echo Auto has a separate Bluetooth connection with your phone. (If you have an older vehicle that does not support Bluetooth the Echo Auto includes an audio cable to enable the phone to send audio via the cable into your receiver.)

Reactions: HeyEph
I used to have the Echo Auto...moved it to the spouse's ICE car. I have an old echo hockey puck that sits on the rear floor and plugs in just above it. I don't have a Tesla subscription (unless on road trips, $10 is worth it for that). When I get in my car, I set my phone to hot spot and change the Tesla to my hotspot. I can listen to Tesla music and see the same display as with a subscription...but I also can talk to echo to get traffic, weather, location of places (hours, phone numbers, etc), turn on/off lights at home (and HVAC), open/close garage door, update my calendar and shopping lists, and never interrupt my tunes. I tried it both ways and like this way...for my use it's better; YMMV

I used to have the Echo Auto...moved it to the spouse's ICE car. I have an old echo hockey puck that sits on the rear floor and plugs in just above it. I don't have a Tesla subscription (unless on road trips, $10 is worth it for that). When I get in my car, I set my phone to hot spot and change the Tesla to my hotspot. I can listen to Tesla music and see the same display as with a subscription...but I also can talk to echo to get traffic, weather, location of places (hours, phone numbers, etc), turn on/off lights at home (and HVAC), open/close garage door, update my calendar and shopping lists, and never interrupt my tunes. I tried it both ways and like this way...for my use it's better; YMMV
The Echo Auto device is similar to an Amazon Echo Dot unit but with only the microphone array and no built in amplifier or speaker. The Echo Auto microphone array has been optimized for being able to hear the Alexa commands in an automobile. Also, the Alexa phone app connects to the Echo Auto via a dedicated Bluetooth connection (a separate BT connection from the one used to stream BT audio and make phone calls in the Tesla.)

The Alexa app has been enhanced so that when the Alexa phone app detects the Echo Auto device is active the Alexa app switches to Alexa Auto mode (a simplified Alexa UI that is easier to use in your vehicle.) Both the earlier Echo Dot device and Echo Auto device will let you interact with Alexa and control devices inside your home. The Echo Dot was not designed for use in a vehicle (it could become an unguided missile in a collision.)

Reactions: electric miles
I really like using the Echo Auto to listen to SiriusXM as well as Audible books without having to fumble with the phone while driving. Occasionally it has connection issues, especially in the first 1-2 minutes after starting the car. Unfortunately the Prime Day deal has ended so the price is back to $49.99.
Just ordered one yesterday and the $20 price is back! My MYLR7 come in at the end of September but didn't want to miss this price a 2nd time...

Reactions: JustSaying
Good Price. We really enjoy our echo autos. The internet Sirius XM and the Amazon music HD apps bring out the best in theTesla sound system.
Just ordered another Echo for the Model S plaid we have on order. (We probably should have waited as Amazon could be on generation 2+ by the time we get delivery of our Blk/white interior with carbon fiber model S )

It was still selling for $20 today so after reading through this thread, I felt like the Echo Auto was well worth the risk for that price.
Yeah, after reading this thread yesterday, I bit too for $20. My gf already had SeriusXM in her car. She thought that her plan only allowed it to work in her car, and she works from home 100% of the time, so she had been thinking about cancelling it until I read this thread and got it setup on our echos at home and on my phone for listening in the Tesla. I know that the Echo Auto comes with the cigarette lighter adapter, but can you just power it off of one of the USB-C ports (with the right cable/adapter) in the front console instead? I have the new style console in my MY.

I know that the Echo Auto comes with the cigarette lighter adapter, but can you just power it off of one of the USB-C ports (with the right cable/adapter) in the front console instead? I have the new style console in my MY.
I know that the Echo Auto can be USB powered, just not sure what kind of USB cable comes with it. I have the console with the USB-C ports, too, but I figured I can get the right USB adapter (or cable) for cheap regardless of what kind of USB cable actually comes with the Echo.

Reactions: JustSaying
Yeah, after reading this thread yesterday, I bit too for $20. My gf already had SeriusXM in her car. She thought that her plan only allowed it to work in her car, and she works from home 100% of the time, so she had been thinking about cancelling it until I read this thread and got it setup on our echos at home and on my phone for listening in the Tesla. I know that the Echo Auto comes with the cigarette lighter adapter, but can you just power it off of one of the USB-C ports (with the right cable/adapter) in the front console instead? I have the new style console in my MY.
The Echo Auto comes with a micro-USB cable. You can either power the Echo Auto device using the provided 12V USB power adapter or using the vehicle's USB-A power port. If you only have a USB-C power port in your vehicle you can use something like this adapter.

Amazon.com: KIKIMO USB C to USB Adapter Fit for Tesla Model 3/Y/S/X, Tesla Model 3/Y Accessories, USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter, Fit for Most Electronic Equipment : Electronics