Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Amazon Echo Auto in Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this interfere with the phone in any way? For instance, if you are playing Sirius and a phone call comes in, will it switch to the phone call?
Your phone should continue to operate the way it currently works. What happens now when you are streaming SiriusXM and you receive a phone call? Does the SiriusXM program mute or pause? The only difference is that with the Echo Auto installed in your vehicle and the Alexa App running on your phone these two will connect via BT anytime the vehicle is powered on and your phone is within BT range. The Echo Auto serves as an always on microphone array for the Alexa App. The phone will stream audio programming or phone calls via the vehicle's audio system using either BT or the included 3.5mm auxiliary audio cable. Since the Alexa app is capable of playing SiriusXM you can direct, control play of your SiriusXM programs. I don't know what happens when you answer a call; whether the phone will use the Echo Auto microphones or the microphone that is built into your phone or the microphone in your vehicle.

The problem I see is that there is no way to route the cable into the tray and still close the lid properly, no?
Well...you can probably order a spare tray at the SC so it will hurt less when you drill or cut a very small hole in it for feeding the wire through it.
I ordered one when it was $19.99 a few days ago, and it arrived today. Will attempt installation over the next few days.

Reactions: HeyEph
Your phone should continue to operate the way it currently works. What happens now when you are streaming SiriusXM and you receive a phone call? Does the SiriusXM program mute or pause? The only difference is that with the Echo Auto installed in your vehicle and the Alexa App running on your phone these two will connect via BT anytime the vehicle is powered on and your phone is within BT range. The Echo Auto serves as an always on microphone array for the Alexa App. The phone will stream audio programming or phone calls via the vehicle's audio system using either BT or the included 3.5mm auxiliary audio cable. Since the Alexa app is capable of playing SiriusXM you can direct, control play of your SiriusXM programs. I don't know what happens when you answer a call; whether the phone will use the Echo Auto microphones or the microphone that is built into your phone or the microphone in your vehicle.

All notification sounds are also now routed through your car speakers. This can be a bit annoying, actually.

Echo auto works through your phone connection. You cannot pair it directly to the car.

Make sure it is set up correctly in your Alexa app, then make sure you have “phone” selected as the audio source in your Tesla.

That is all.

If you have to always have your phone selected, why bother.

iOS can use HFP (hands free protocol) by any app (that supports it). So can can switch the car speakers from and source to BlueTooth and then return it back to original source.

If I say “Hey Siri” it’s prompt comes over car speakers regardless of what source is selected.

iOS can use HFP (hands free protocol) by any app (that supports it). So can can switch the car speakers from and source to BlueTooth and then return it back to original source.

If I say “Hey Siri” it’s prompt comes over car speakers regardless of what source is selected.
The Echo Auto offers a sensitive microphone array with 6 microphones that is always on, always listening for your Alexa commands so you can access Alexa functions hands free while driving, using the Alexa app on your phone. The Echo Auto works well inside a vehicle when driving, can hear you speak over the audio that is playing. The Echo Auto is only for someone who is already invested in using the Amazon Alexa app on their phone. If you have Amazon Echo units set up at home you can even drop in, send an audio message to those who are at home.

The Echo Auto offers a sensitive microphone array with 6 microphones that is always on, always listening for your Alexa commands so you can access Alexa functions hands free while driving, using the Alexa app on your phone. The Echo Auto works well inside a vehicle when driving, can hear you speak over the audio that is playing. The Echo Auto is only for someone who is already invested in using the Amazon Alexa app on their phone. If you have Amazon Echo units set up at home you can even drop in, send an audio message to those who are at home.

Siri hears me just fine while driving with the radio going.

Because Siri is a joke?

• Informative
Reactions: Srad600Volt
Well...you can probably order a spare tray at the SC so it will hurt less when you drill or cut a very small hole in it for feeding the wire through it.
I ordered one when it was $19.99 a few days ago, and it arrived today. Will attempt installation over the next few days.
Small clarification: I had ordered the Echo Auto for $19.99. The tray below the armrest is $31.00 if you want to modify it to hide the echo wires and have an unmodded one as a backup.

I just implemented this install and it's a perfect solution for me as I don't listen to too many SiriusXM stations. Between Spotify and Slacker I have enough music only options and I use SiriusXM for Howard and the Soccer channel. It picks up my voice from the armrest storage every time, it's just a little slow going from channel to channel as it processes your command and repeats it to you before tuning.

If you enjoy flipping quickly from station to station on SiriusXM this solution would not be for you.

Can I link Echo Auto to my home so that I can turn on the lights at home when I arrive? Just curious
Absolutely. You can issue any Alexa command from your vehicle that you can use while at home by using your smart phone and the Alexa app. The Echo Auto enables using the Alexa voice commands via the Alexa app without having to first tap the talk button within the Alexa app.

Reactions: HeyEph
Is there a way to get a reminder ????
Is there a way to get an Amazon Echo to remind you of something upon an event, such as "when I turn off the streaming music," or something like that? I like the idea of having it tell you to check the back seat, but these days, it would be more helpful if it reminded me to put on a mask when I get out of the car. That is not necessary when I get home, but when I get anywhere else. Anyone have any guesses??

I used a slightly different method to hold the Echo in place. Rather than using velcro, I bought a package of the Command strips. You need a longer one than the weight of the Echo would demand since there is a square opening in the base so you have to bridge that, but it works really well. If I every have to move it, which I have not as yet, I threw the package of Command strips in the center console!