Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Amazon Echo Auto in Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the Alexa app and the Alexa location based reminder feature it would be possible to have Alexa remind you, either when arriving at a specific location or when leaving a specific location to "Don't forget your mask." You can add multiple locations in addition to the Work and Home locations so if you only go to a few locations you can set up a separate reminder for when you arrive at one of the saved locations. Alternately, when leaving your Home location, Alexa could remind you to "Be sure to wear your mask." each time you leave your home location. Alexa is not aware of the vehicle settings, only day/time and the phone's location via GPS. I have set a reminder for each Thursday at 5PM to put out the recycling bins. I have another reminder set to remind me to pay a specific bill on the 1st of each month.

Works great for me , I also now have access to my sirusxm account through the Echo auto . I recently upgraded my Amazon music account to HD . Wow great sound.
$20 buck is a a good buy.
I’m setting mine up now and can’t get Sirius to work. Wonder what I’m doing wrong? I can do it manually with my phone with the Echo connected, it plays through my car. But when I say “Alexa, play Sirius XM....” it doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

I’m setting mine up now and can’t get Sirius to work. Wonder what I’m doing wrong? I can do it manually with my phone with the Echo connected, it plays through my car. But when I say “Alexa, play Sirius XM....” it doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

Have you first selected" phone " as the sound source to the car vs radio, stream , spotify etc?

If so It should indicate on your car screen "select media from your phone"
I also noted that it takes a few minutes for echo to connect to the phone and the internet Test this by asking Alexa what time it is.

On the Alexa phone app you have to first add a skill for SiriusXM. You have to provide your SiriusXM Id and password to the Alexa app. Then, to listen to SiriusXM you would ask Alexa by speaking the command "Play Classic Rock on SiriusXM" or "Play channel 25 on SiriusXM". In the Tesla vehicle you have to select your phone as the Bluetooth audio streaming source.

One other use case: Integration with MyQ garage door opener. Example: Alexa, open garage door.

Who needs homelink? :)
Are you using a separate device wired into your garage door opener to open/close the garage door? I have a Liftmaster garage door opener and the MyQ app on my phone. I can open and close the garage door using the app. The only information I found is that this Alexa skill is currently unavailable.

I found this: myQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain myQ-G0401 - Wireless Smart Garage Hub and Controller, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, Smartphone Control,

I found this video that explains how you can use Simple Commands to link the Chamberlain MyQ app with Alexa. You have to create a Simple Commands account and then provide your MyQ password to the Simple Commands routine you create. I'm not comfortable doing that but if you are willing to share your MyQ password with Simple Commands you can use Alexa to open and close your garage door.

See post #3. According to VaxAce you can place the Echo Auto inside the center console with the cover closed and it will still hear you when you speak Alexa commands. There is only one required wire, for power. This is a USB power cable, can be plugged into the 12V accessory port inside the center console with the included power adapter (the 12V adapter has 2 USB power ports) In vehicles without BT support you can also connect to the vehicle's audio system via a 3.5mm audio cable.
Yes, I've also done that and it seems to work well, hearing me even when the center console cover is closed. I'm using the 12V outlet to power the device. The possible con to placing it there is that one can't see the device light nor hit the microphone-off button. So far not an issue for me.

I have one in the Model 3, but didn't put one in the Model Y yet. It works great, I use it all the time. Listen to music, make announcements at home, open/close garage door (via Tailwind).

I have the TapTes Pro USB Hub and I drilled a hole out of the bottom of the center console, then stuck the Echo Auto under the dash. It is practically invisible, but I can see it when it lights up. I can also reach the mic off button if I needed to.

20210205_140855.jpg
20210205_140845.jpg
20210205_140739.jpg
20210205_140712.jpg

I constantly get Ready to drive notifications all day long when I’m home and the car is awake anyone know the fix?

I wish I could just jump in the car and go. Instead I have to open my phone and click the pop up to open the app.

I constantly get Ready to drive notifications all day long when I’m home and the car is awake anyone know the fix?

I wish I could just jump in the car and go. Instead I have to open my phone and click the pop up to open the app.
The Ready to Drive Notification is generated by the Alexa App on your phone any time the Echo Auto device is detected, i.e. the vehicle powers up. Do you have Sentry Mode turned on when you park at home? Also, if you have FSD do you have Smart Summon active. These will constantly draw power from the 12V battery causing the Model Y to have to frequently power on to recharge the 12V battery. If you don't need these then exclude Sentry Mode when parked at home, disable Smart Summon.

No FSD, and sentry is disabled while at home.
Other than when preconditioning I will receive the Alexa App Ready to Drive notification every 24 to 36 hours when my Model Y is parked in my garage. Your phone must be within BT range of the Echo Auto device for the Alexa app to initiate the Ready to Drive notification. I suggest you keep a log of how often your Alexa App sends the notification. It could be a vampire drain on the 12V system, perhaps a 12V component that is malfunctioning such as an interior light or even a daytime running light is staying on. It could also be a failing 12V battery that is causing your Tesla to frequently power up the 12V system. Are you running any 3rd party monitoring tool that would keep the Tesla from going into sleep mode?

If this is happening frequently you should schedule a service appointment.

I wish I did, but you are not alone! I got the same thing. My home office is just above my garage (close enough for my phone to connect to the car easily), so I kept getting multiple notifications all day long. Add to that the fact that the echo never worked with any of my smart home features and...I gave up on it (suppose I shouldn't say never...it did occasionally, after saying the same command over and over...and only when sitting in my garage). It got to be a bit of a joke because I'd ask it to do something and nothing would happen. My 6yr old kept asking me "why she didn't listen!" :D I'm sure it's resting peacefully in the recycle heap by now.

I have one in the Model 3, but didn't put one in the Model Y yet. It works great, I use it all the time. Listen to music, make announcements at home, open/close garage door (via Tailwind).

I have the TapTes Pro USB Hub and I drilled a hole out of the bottom of the center console, then stuck the Echo Auto under the dash. It is practically invisible, but I can see it when it lights up. I can also reach the mic off button if I needed to.

View attachment 634227 View attachment 634228 View attachment 634229 View attachment 634230

I can confirm the the Alexa Echo Auto "hears" me through the center console cover and the Jeda Hub cover. No need to drill through anything, you can just leave it in the console. Works great. I have a fairly loud voice, but I am in no way yelling at it.

I can confirm the the Alexa Echo Auto "hears" me through the center console cover and the Jeda Hub cover. No need to drill through anything, you can just leave it in the console. Works great. I have a fairly loud voice, but I am in no way yelling at it.

I had it in the center console and yes it definitely works.
But it had some trouble if the music was really loud.
Also I really like to see the blue light to see if it is listening to me.
There are some areas with poor service and I didn't know if it didn't hear me or if it wasn't doing anything because of the weak service.

I had it in the center console and yes it definitely works.
But it had some trouble if the music was really loud.
Also I really like to see the blue light to see if it is listening to me.
There are some areas with poor service and I didn't know if it didn't hear me or if it wasn't doing anything because of the weak service.
I ended up figuring it out. I actually keep it inside the Jeda hub where the SSD is supposed to go. Works perfectly. I can't see the blue light but I can hear the sound after I say "Alexa", confirming that it heard me. I love it.

View attachment 634230

This is a nice mounting spot. Anybody find any other spots that make sense? BTW, did the Echo Auto come with mounting hardware/tape? I need to find my box...