TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installing an outlet in a condo garage - Toronto

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mikeTO_p85, Aug 23, 2013.

1. mikeTO_p85

mikeTO_p85 New Member

So I got my condo board to approve installing a plug at my parking spot in the garage.
    They got a quote for install from Speedy Electric for $5,600 +HST to do the job!!!!
    Seems a little ridiculous to me.
    Anyone have any experience doing this? or can recommend a good company that can provide me another quote?

2. Ampster

Ampster Member

It is worth getting another bid. After some fixed costs , the distance to your meter will be an important factor in determining final cost.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I would say it seems very steep for the "average" installation, but local codes and circumstances may show it to be reasonable, depending upon how far from an electrical room you are, whether they have to upgrade feeders to the garage panels, etc. I'm sure you'll hear from a few who have used various electricians. A good place to put this post might be in the local section of the board.

4. mikeTO_p85

mikeTO_p85 New Member

Thanks @FlasherZ. I'll do just that.

5. eMileage

eMileage Member

Hi Mike,
    What type of charging station are you planning to install? A CS-100 (80a) evCharger will have greater power and wiring requirements than a 30 or 40a charging station. And as indicated by FlasherZ and others, the distance from the source can be a large factor in the overall cost.

Feel free to call or PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Cheers,
    Emile.

6. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

How far is yor space from the electrical closet? Mine was 6k, but my spaces were 300 linear feet from the closet (requiring boring through a wall and a floor since my spaces are a level down). So, those are major factors.