Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing an XM Commander Touchscreen in a Tesla Model S without UHFS system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2016 Model S 75D. I did not get the UHFS because it was an inventory car, and it was available in two weeks. I listen to 6-7 channels of content on Sirius/XM radio that are simply not available in the car using Slacker or Tunein.

Please do not tell me to listen to Slacker or Tunein because the content I listen to is not available using those sources.

What I am wondering is if the antenna connector that goes into the FM radio in the car is one of the standard connector types that can be adapted to install an XM Commander Touchscreen in the car.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sirius...-radio-receiver-black/4370000.p?skuId=4370000

I used one of these in a Volvo I had before, and it modulated the audio to a unused FM channel, and plugged directly into the FM antenna plug in the radio. It would disconnect the car's FM antenna when you used XM radio.

Thanks!

The issue with using the App on the phone is that it is very inconvenient to change channels using the phone's display, plus the phone sits in the dock between the seats which means that I cannot get to the phone without taking it out of the dock, etc.

The issue with a Bluetooth dock is that if the car is attached to the XM radio's dock, then I cannot use the phone's Bluetooth to make phone calls.

I might just 'bite the bullet' and buy this:

Garmin Speak with Amazon Alexa | Cars | Garmin

Because I can play music from XM, and everything else that Alexa allows. Although the reviews are not great...

But I would prefer the commander because it would do what I want easily.

Yes I agree its difficult to change channels picking up the phone and viewing it, but why do you need a dock?
If I'm listening to Sirius and stop someplace and get out of the car with it playing when I get back in with phone in my pocket it continues playing. I don't understand this "Dock" thing..

The Phone sits in the dock between the seats and charges there. This is the Tesla dock. I always put the phone there so that it does not move around and is charging.

If I used a Sirius/XM radio that had bluetooth, then the car would attach to that bluetooth, and my phone's bluetooth would not be connected so no phone calls would be received in the car using the car's audio system.

The issue is that I am usually listening to news channels that do not work on TuneIN (MSNBC for example) and I want to listen live. When I get out, and then get back in, it resumes where it left off sometimes. Other times I have to restart the XM app on the phone. It is not reliable and easy to use like a built in XM receiver.

Why couldn't have Tesla installed the XM receiver in every car. It is very cheap, and would allow everyone to have the option of XM. Or perhaps Tesla could implement the XM app in the car using the cellular data. That would be perfect!

I bought one of these two weeks ago: Garmin Speak Plus with Amazon Alexa | Garmin

It has a dashcam, and provides Alexa support in the car. I can just say "Alexa Play SiriusXM MSNBC" or "Alexa play SiriusXM Utopia" and it starts playing that channel. The phone sits safely in the holder in the center console, and I do not have to take my eyes off the road. I have not used the NAV in the Garmin unit because the Tesla one works quite well ( especially since I just got the new NAV update)

Plus I can listen to other streaming services also that Alexa supports. And It allows me to control the house using the Alexa skills.

I would love Tesla to bundle Alexa in the car natively, but that most likely will never happen.

I have same issue. What is your review on the Garmin? Did you look at installing an xm touch commander installed?

QUOTE="pinball_player, post: 2703113, member: 60398"]I bought one of these two weeks ago: Garmin Speak Plus with Amazon Alexa | Garmin

It has a dashcam, and provides Alexa support in the car. I can just say "Alexa Play SiriusXM MSNBC" or "Alexa play SiriusXM Utopia" and it starts playing that channel. The phone sits safely in the holder in the center console, and I do not have to take my eyes off the road. I have not used the NAV in the Garmin unit because the Tesla one works quite well ( especially since I just got the new NAV update)

Plus I can listen to other streaming services also that Alexa supports. And It allows me to control the house using the Alexa skills.

I would love Tesla to bundle Alexa in the car natively, but that most likely will never happen.[/QUOTE]