TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installing DRL lights after purchase.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Teschick13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Teschick13

Teschick13 New Member

I have recently purchase the model S and regret not ordering the Tech package because I didn't realize it included the driving led lights ( which I love). I'm wondering if I can get them installed after the fact. I don't care if they stay on or don't show up on screen. Is there a way to get these?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems unlikely for any reasonable cost. At the very least they have to replace the headlight housings, which are no doubt ridiculously expensive (as they are on most cars). Certainly you can ask, but I'd be prepared for a large estimate.

Your best bet would probably be to hunt for a totaled Model S that saw significant rear end damage. Buy the lights, and figure out how to wire the DRLs.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know how the compulsory DRLs are implemented in Canada for someone who does not order the Tech Package. The Canadian ordering page also lists the DRLs as an option with the Tech Package.

4. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I have a non-tech and I have DRLs. Ordered July of 13, delivered September. I know options change, like ambient lights were standard back then, but I can't see them not supplying DRLs as they are compulsory in many places.

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

#5 cgiGuy, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    They must have changed it, then.. because it's pretty clear on the order page now. As a matter of fact they have a picture that highlights the DRLs under the Tech Package.

Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 1.06.27 PM.png

---------

Looks like it was moved from standard under the "specs" page to part of the Tech Package in July 2013.

Model S Specs | Tesla Motors

6. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Because you check out the Canadian specs page and in lists LED daytime running lights in the standard specs as opposed to the US page which does not. They are not really an option in the Canadian Tech package.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I just lifted this from the Canadian ordering page. It's pretty clear about DRLs being part of the Tech Package:
    6-4-2014 3-49-30 PM.jpg

8. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

From the Canadian specs page; they are part of base. The entry on the tech page is in error.

• Aluminum roof
    • Xenon headlights with automatic on/off and LED daytime running lights
    • Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
    • LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Okay, that makes sense then. I actually wondered if Tesla just used the normal headlights for DRLs on non-Tech cars in Canada. That would be perfectly legal too. It's a shame they've made DRLs an option in the US because I believe they are a useful safety feature.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

To the OP, is there any indication of a DRL LED strip all around your headlights?

I've never seen an MS without DRLs up close but, am wondering if everyone gets the same headlight hardware (since Tesla eliminated the old non-Xenon halogen lights too) and it's just the tech package software that might be different.

I remember a very early report on these forums about someone getting an MS that they ordered with the tech package but, the car was delivered without. Tesla was somehow able to "fix" that easily.

So, any chance that Tesla can simply "sideload" the tech package if you cough up the dough? Surely not additional hardware such as power-folding side mirrors, etc. but, maybe the DRLs are different?

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I remember my father bought a new Mercury Monterey and the white backup lights were an option. He was a friend of the dealership owner in Hollywood FL and he hooked them up for free for my dad by going into the trunk and hooking up a wire behind some hidden flap of carpet.

12. Zextraterrestrial

People without the Fog lights that have the tech package so have them installed but they will only work when the car is in reverse!
    never heard of an S without the daytime running lights. Thought those are going to be required in US in a few years

13. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Might require a firmware update if you are adding to a car which didn't have then originally.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not quite. The same housing contains cornering lights as well as fog lights if the fog light option is ordered. It is the two cornering lights that come on in Reverse, not the fog lights.

15. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

That sucks, i wouldn't get a Tesla if it didn't come with the DRL's, very essential feature.

Can't say i've seen a Tesla with a different headlight set up so it may be possible to add them for a price? idk