Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing DRL lights after purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently purchase the model S and regret not ordering the Tech package because I didn't realize it included the driving led lights ( which I love). I'm wondering if I can get them installed after the fact. I don't care if they stay on or don't show up on screen. Is there a way to get these?

Seems unlikely for any reasonable cost. At the very least they have to replace the headlight housings, which are no doubt ridiculously expensive (as they are on most cars). Certainly you can ask, but I'd be prepared for a large estimate.

Your best bet would probably be to hunt for a totaled Model S that saw significant rear end damage. Buy the lights, and figure out how to wire the DRLs.

They must have changed it, then.. because it's pretty clear on the order page now. As a matter of fact they have a picture that highlights the DRLs under the Tech Package.

Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 1.06.27 PM.png

---------

Looks like it was moved from standard under the "specs" page to part of the Tech Package in July 2013.

Model S Specs | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
I'm curious to know how the compulsory DRLs are implemented in Canada for someone who does not order the Tech Package. The Canadian ordering page also lists the DRLs as an option with the Tech Package.

Because you check out the Canadian specs page and in lists LED daytime running lights in the standard specs as opposed to the US page which does not. They are not really an option in the Canadian Tech package.

I just lifted this from the Canadian ordering page. It's pretty clear about DRLs being part of the Tech Package:
View attachment 50916

From the Canadian specs page; they are part of base. The entry on the tech page is in error.

• Aluminum roof
  • Xenon headlights with automatic on/off and LED daytime running lights
  • Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
  • LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp

From the Canadian specs page; they are part of base. The entry on the tech page is in error.

• Aluminum roof
  • Xenon headlights with automatic on/off and LED daytime running lights
  • Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
  • LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp

Okay, that makes sense then. I actually wondered if Tesla just used the normal headlights for DRLs on non-Tech cars in Canada. That would be perfectly legal too. It's a shame they've made DRLs an option in the US because I believe they are a useful safety feature.

To the OP, is there any indication of a DRL LED strip all around your headlights?

I've never seen an MS without DRLs up close but, am wondering if everyone gets the same headlight hardware (since Tesla eliminated the old non-Xenon halogen lights too) and it's just the tech package software that might be different.

I remember a very early report on these forums about someone getting an MS that they ordered with the tech package but, the car was delivered without. Tesla was somehow able to "fix" that easily.

So, any chance that Tesla can simply "sideload" the tech package if you cough up the dough? Surely not additional hardware such as power-folding side mirrors, etc. but, maybe the DRLs are different?

So, any chance that Tesla can simply "sideload" the tech package if you cough up the dough?

When I was a kid, I remember my father bought a new Mercury Monterey and the white backup lights were an option. He was a friend of the dealership owner in Hollywood FL and he hooked them up for free for my dad by going into the trunk and hooking up a wire behind some hidden flap of carpet.

That sucks, i wouldn't get a Tesla if it didn't come with the DRL's, very essential feature.

Can't say i've seen a Tesla with a different headlight set up so it may be possible to add them for a price? idk