Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

installing EV charger apartment complex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck with your Court appeal. The response by the body corporate on what they will accept needs some work but isnt completely unreasonable. The excuses by them are silly but the outcome is surely palitable?. Unless you plan on emptying your battery every day you simply will not need 3 phase. Asking you to gift the installation to them is probably normal, but then insisting that the installation is available to everyone and anyone isn’t fair. Future users need to reimburse you for their proportion. This is actually how new mains electricity high voltage installations work.
IMO, take what you can get now, install it and give them 6 months to get over the fear, and then ask if you can upgrade to 3 phase if you really need it. You could install the appropriate cable up front. You may even find legislation for these apartment blocks catches up by then.
The alternative is your Court system, so that should resolve itself by the time you sell your EV, and cost everyone a fortune.

Qcat doesn't use lawyers, it is where strata arguments are settled. Yes, the donation of the charge point is usual, the sticking point for me is that I then am responsible for the repairs. My long-term plan had always been to install a multi-use charging system where a swipe of credit card or some vehicle recognition system to lock the charge point and invoice the owner. The additional charge points would have been at the requesting Lot owner's expense. The current plan is to, "take what you can get now, install it and give them 6 months to get over the fear". I will chip away, and sound out most residents on their attitude towards basement charging. Then take it to a vote at the AGM to vote on it. The old adage, never ask a question unless you know what the answer is likely to be springs to mind.

You have someone on the Owners Committee that is anti EV. I had a similar reaction when I wanted to install solar panels on a shared holiday house. The other owners tried to suggest that the fire brigade would not put out a fire on a house with solar panels. It took me under a minute to find proof that that was bollocks.
Your friend is selectively quoting QFES, their statement does not disallow EV charging in garages it suggests minimum safety standards including “Emergency Shutdown Controls” and “Vehicle impact protection (bollards)”. The former are generally built into the cars themselves and careful design of the installation avoids the potential from vehicle impact.
Clearly you will need some profess assistance in the design and installation of a potential EV charging system. As I am in NSW I only have contacts who may be NSW only, Wattblock and SustainabilityNow so I’m not sure if they can help in Queensland but have a look at their websites and make contact to see if they can help.
Alternately some of the larger companies will do the planning and design for you to help you persuade the owners, companies like JetCharge and Eviam more here in the Wattblock website.
I am going through a similar process with a building in central Sydney and it has taken some time to get to a point where we can even get the Owners Committee’s permission to start the process. In the mean time I would investigate public charging in your area.
Despite what has been stated above the community and government policy are moving in the direction of supporting and encouraging EV charging in apartment buildings not in banning or preventing it.
Good luck And keep posting here as you move forward, I will do the same as my project progresses.
The often-quoted adage, emotional argument always trumps logic! I explained all that and more, but their political world view is intransient and strongly detest their viewpoint being challenged. Most of the owners here are over 60, as I am. Some are very closed minded.

Translation: we have no idea whether this is true or not, but we read it on a Qanon website and thought we'd toss it in.

Incredible how people are scared of the very very rare event of EVs bursting into flames (has is ever happened with a vehicle AC charging?) but not concerned by hundreds if not thousands of litres of an extremely dangerous, toxic and highly flammable liquid in the same basement, and the greater risk of fire from that.

I'm with @paulp - consider whether you really need 3-phase. I have it, but only because the Tesla HPWC came with my car and I already had 3-phase to my garage. I've charged at 11kW once in 2.5 years. I'm glad I had the option at the time because I really needed it, but once in 2.5 years is not exactly frequent.
Unfortunately, the person who is running scared, is not into risk at all what soever. I am surprised he gets out of bed of a morning. I tend to be risk adverse and would never do something without doing a risk management assessment on things such as this. This is the galling part for me. As to the 11kw issue, I am considering the Noodoe system. it will feed 7kw into the car and if the installer recommends such then this is the way I will head.

@unharmed

Sorry you got that response and I do see a date with QCat in your future. I assume being on the OC you know who likely authored that response and the type of personality you are dealing with.

The response seems very much like cake and eat it. You pay for it, 'donate it', yet equally you are responsible for upkeep, insurance etc.

To address some of their other points
- underground. I'd point out the number of significantly faster chargers (superchargers and 50/350kW chargers that are in carparks owned by major shopping centre - who are all seemingly quite confident.
- lack of demand. Point out surveys like Surveys find purchase price hinders EV uptake, despite lower running costs. Being anti-EV will lose building owners buyers and renters.

I'd also point out the future for smart buildings - where a bunch of electric cars might be able to act as a battery bank for the whole building, potentially reducing everyone's electricity cost. This article probably covers it best - as I understand both standards are now approved.

@Vostok also interested in any further details as I'm in a building that likely qualifies
the underground shopping centre charging argument was raised in the multi hour discussion.

Finished product.

My power board could only take 32amps, and electrician was able to adjust my charger to take 22amps (35km charge/hour) and lower down to 16amps if needed (25km charger/hour

232B504E-5866-41EC-BBB1-F74DA1EA01D1.jpeg

Branching out again from the original topic, my little friend dishy has been thriving on the roof with 0 obstructions and speeds of 80mps-180mps.

Attachments

• 01DF6008-B63F-40C2-B235-30AC8CF4CFE6.jpeg
    01DF6008-B63F-40C2-B235-30AC8CF4CFE6.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 33
I have my car set to 10 - 15A (and to start when the sun's on the panels) but I suppose resetting the board makes it a harder number than software which might get altered?

There’s a DIP switch inside the HPWC which sets the maximum draw to prevent it tripping the RCBO it is connected to… if that’s what you mean. The charge setting on the Tesla App is limited to between 5A and whatever that DIP switch setting is. Except in the case of 3-phase, where the maximum draw per phase is 16A, even if the DIP switch in the HPWC is set higher than that.

That's fine: I just meant that setting the amps in the car to whatever your board can cope with or less does the same thing. Obviously setting the HPWC dip switch makes it a "hard" setting, unlike doing it on the car charging screen which - knowing how much setting can change by themselves(!) - can revert to max.