Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Gen 3 Charger myself, confused about 6/3 wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I am so confused right now on the copper wire I need. I have been reading and watching videos but when I went to buy the wire today, the electrician told me something else so I just wanted to confirm on here.

I have a 200 amp panel.

I will need to run 50 ft of wire from my panel in the basement to my garage. I have found it for about $22 CDN a metre so it seems to be in line with what I have been reading.

However, I was under the assumption that I needed 6/2 or 6/3 Romex but the guy at the electrical shop said that I would be better off going with 6/3 Teck wire. I don't know if Teck goes by a different name or something, but when I google 'teck wire Tesla' or similar, nothing pops up. Literally no one talks about it which is why I wonder If it goes by a different name elsewhere.

If it is fine, what breaker would I need, 60 amp?

Have you read through the 9 page topic on the first page of this subforum on this exact topic?

Hi Everyone,

I am so confused right now on the copper wire I need. I have been reading and watching videos but when I went to buy the wire today, the electrician told me something else so I just wanted to confirm on here.

I have a 200 amp panel.

I will need to run 50 ft of wire from my panel in the basement to my garage. I have found it for about $22 CDN a metre so it seems to be in line with what I have been reading.

However, I was under the assumption that I needed 6/2 or 6/3 Romex but the guy at the electrical shop said that I would be better off going with 6/3 Teck wire. I don't know if Teck goes by a different name or something, but when I google 'teck wire Tesla' or similar, nothing pops up. Literally no one talks about it which is why I wonder If it goes by a different name elsewhere.

6/2 or 6/3 NMD90 is rated for 65A in Canada on 75C terminals.
NMD90 is commonly known as romex.

I believe TECK90 is Canadian and since most of these forums are people from the US, you won’t find information useful for Ontario installs.

Yes, you would want a 60A breaker for this to pull 48A. For continuous loads, everything must be upsized by 125%.

As always, I would suggest having a Licensed Electrician complete the install as there are many variables and this is a lot of power. You will also want it signed off by ESA.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 200 amp panel.

Teck cable is the armoured wire with the black rubber coating outside. It's used for running underground and outside. You only mentioned you're running it from basement to garage. You need to be more specific on how you're planning on running the wires. Outdoor, under ground, surface, through studs. These all play a variable on which type of wires to use.

Just to address the other half of your question:

6/3 wire has three conductors: hot-hot-neutral and a ground wire. It suppots both 120v and 240v circuits
6/2 wire has two conductors: hot-hot and a ground wire. It supports only 240v circuits

Since EVSEs are 240v you only need the 2-wire option. Some people run the 3-wire option to “future proof” or if they have an RV and need a 14-50 outlet. Check the cost difference and decide.

BTW in the U.S. 6/3 or 6/2 romex is limited to 55-amps, which is no more than 44-amps continuous and is, therefore, not good enough to run a wall connector at 48-amps. I am not familiar with the wires you noted so just confirm the capacity.

Last edited:
Teck cable is the armoured wire with the black rubber coating outside. It's used for running underground and outside. You only mentioned you're running it from basement to garage. You need to be more specific on how you're planning on running the wires. Outdoor, under ground, surface, through studs. These all play a variable on which type of wires to use.

I am running the wire from one side of my basement, through the wooden joists across the basement and up a wall shared between the basement and garage.

It will not go outdoors or underground but teck is the only wire I can find.

Just to address the other half of your question:

6/3 wire has three conductors: hot-hot-neutral and a ground wire. It suppots both 120v and 240v circuits
6/2 wire has two conductors: hot-hot and a ground wire. It supports only 240v circuits

Since EVSEs are 240v you only need the 2-wire option. Some people run the 3-wire option to “future proof” or if they have an RV and need a 14-50 outlet. Check the cost difference and decide.

BTW in the U.S. 6/3 or 6/2 romex is limited to 55-amps, which is no more than 44-amps continuous and is, therefore, not good enough to run a wall connector at 48-amps. I am not familiar with the wires you noted so just confirm the capacity.

Yeah, my electrician said we are better off future-proofing.

6/2 or 6/3 NMD90 is rated for 65A in Canada on 75C terminals.
NMD90 is commonly known as romex.

I believe TECK90 is Canadian and since most of these forums are people from the US, you won’t find information useful for Ontario installs.

Yes, you would want a 60A breaker for this to pull 48A. For continuous loads, everything must be upsized by 125%.

As always, I would suggest having a Licensed Electrician complete the install as there are many variables and this is a lot of power. You will also want it signed off by ESA.

We have an electrician. He is a good friend of my dad's and actually is in charge of building all big box stores in Southern Ontario. But he's extremely busy so we are going to run the wire for him and then he's going to install the breaker and Tesla charger.

He has never done a Tesla charger before as he does much bigger jobs and just asked us to confirm we are getting the correct wire.

6/2 or 6/3 NMD90 will do the trick assuming you will be inside the garage wall.

Have you tried electric supply shops like Aztec or CES or Westburne?
TECK90 could be tough to work.
I haven't talked to those in particular but have called or chatted with a few places.

You just mean that the wire is hard to bend? Is it safe though? I'm just on the outskirts of Hamilton, ON. Do you know of any places around here?

I’m not familiar with prices these days as I know inflation is through the roof.
I paid $8 a metre in 2020 for 6/3 NMD90.
WOW, that's an insane difference!

Yeah, my electrician said that, 'right now copper is the price of gold' and he builds big box stores and everything is under lock and key with a special security team... that's how bad it's gotten!

Just wanna share with U guys what my electrician used to install the Gen3 Tesla Charger in my garage. He bought the circuit breaker from our local Lowes store because it did not come on time from Amazon for the installation date. I assume he got the Wirenco 6/2 MC from Amazon but I am not 100% sure

On the subject of pricing of Gen3 , this has been discussed by other members. I bought mine end of March 2022 for $495 USD, but then the electrician was on his family vacation until early May. During that time the price of Gen3 dropped to $400. Last week I emailed Tesla and told them I could have return the unit and re order at lower price but I don't want to do that since it creates more work for all. I asked if Tesla could give me a $95 credits which they agree to do so. Tesla could have said NO but they did not.

Worth a shot if U are in similar situation

62 Metal Clad Cable 1.jpg

Eaton CH260 60Amp circuit breaker 1.jpg

Attachments

• Eaton CH260 60Amp circuit breaker 3.jpg
    Eaton CH260 60Amp circuit breaker 3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: peji911
Just wanna share with U guys what my electrician used to install the Gen3 Tesla Charger in my garage. He bought the circuit breaker from our local Lowes store because it did not come on time from Amazon for the installation date. I assume he got the Wirenco 6/2 MC from Amazon but I am not 100% sure

On the subject of pricing of Gen3 , this has been discussed by other members. I bought mine end of March 2022 for $495 USD, but then the electrician was on his family vacation until early May. During that time the price of Gen3 dropped to $400. Last week I emailed Tesla and told them I could have return the unit and re order at lower price but I don't want to do that since it creates more work for all. I asked if Tesla could give me a $95 credits which they agree to do so. Tesla could have said NO but they did not.

Worth a shot if U are in similar situation

View attachment 806062

View attachment 806063
I have a Siemens panel and cannot find the proper 60amp breaker for my panel. Most shops around here are saying about 2 month waiting period. FFS!