Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Gen 3 Charger myself, confused about 6/3 wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Siemens panel and cannot find the proper 60amp breaker for my panel. Most shops around here are saying about 2 month waiting period. FFS!
I am not an electrician or even close to that trade so I have no idea the Siemens panel would be that much different that that of "standard" panel
attached is my current panel
Electrical Panel2.jpg
Electrical Panel3.jpg

I am not an electrician or even close to that trade so I have no idea the Siemens panel would be that much different that that of "standard" panel
attached is my current panel
View attachment 808501 View attachment 808503
There is no 'standard panel.' Circuit breakers are brand-specific so a Siemens panel can only use Siemens circuit breakers. Likewise for Square D, GE, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a Siemens panel and cannot find the proper 60amp breaker for my panel. Most shops around here are saying about 2 month waiting period. FFS!
Not sure what type of Siemens panel you have (or even if they have options), but this website looks to have some. I just googled them, so no idea if they are legit.

Also, if you’re stuck, could you find a 40A or 50A breaker to tie you over? You can set the Wall connector to smaller breaker sizes, you just have to use the correct wiring for the full power.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Not sure what type of Siemens panel you have (or even if they have options), but this website looks to have some. I just googled them, so no idea if they are legit.

Also, if you’re stuck, could you find a 40A or 50A breaker to tie you over? You can set the Wall connector to smaller breaker sizes, you just have to use the correct wiring for the full power.

Look pretty good. I assume 260 means 2 poles? 60 Amp
Q probably SKU for Siemens while CH is for Eaton ? guessing on my learning part

Siemens Breaker.jpg
Eaton CH260 60Amp circuit breaker 1.jpg

Just wanna share with U guys what my electrician used to install the Gen3 Tesla Charger in my garage. He bought the circuit breaker from our local Lowes store because it did not come on time from Amazon for the installation date. I assume he got the Wirenco 6/2 MC from Amazon but I am not 100% sure

On the subject of pricing of Gen3 , this has been discussed by other members. I bought mine end of March 2022 for $495 USD, but then the electrician was on his family vacation until early May. During that time the price of Gen3 dropped to $400. Last week I emailed Tesla and told them I could have return the unit and re order at lower price but I don't want to do that since it creates more work for all. I asked if Tesla could give me a $95 credits which they agree to do so. Tesla could have said NO but they did not.

Worth a shot if U are in similar situation

View attachment 806062

View attachment 806063
could have saved some money on the breaker lol! 😀 i used this one
Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 12.27.05 PM.png

Hi Everyone,

I am so confused right now on the copper wire I need. I have been reading and watching videos but when I went to buy the wire today, the electrician told me something else so I just wanted to confirm on here.

I have a 200 amp panel.

I will need to run 50 ft of wire from my panel in the basement to my garage. I have found it for about $22 CDN a metre so it seems to be in line with what I have been reading.

However, I was under the assumption that I needed 6/2 or 6/3 Romex but the guy at the electrical shop said that I would be better off going with 6/3 Teck wire. I don't know if Teck goes by a different name or something, but when I google 'teck wire Tesla' or similar, nothing pops up. Literally no one talks about it which is why I wonder If it goes by a different name elsewhere.

If it is fine, what breaker would I need, 60 amp?
Sounds like a wired for fire job! Electrical work is NOT a HOBBY, Electrical work is a licensed profession!