Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing home charger for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone; apologies if this question has been raised before on this site. I have recently purchased a Model S with expected delivery date mid October (hopefully a bit before). I have enquired locally about getting a home charger installed in my garage; current quote is about £800 which included provision for the £500 government grant. This sounds expensive to me; it is not the Tesla charger but an EO wall connector unit. Can anyone comment on whether this is typical costs or should i try and find a better deal?

Appreciate any help on this

best wishes

without in depth details of what the installation is like in your location it is difficult to discern what the costs will be. how long is the run, does the house have the proper level of service or does it need to be upgraded? variables like these and other considerations come into play when talking about the costs of the install.
here in the US the quotes can vary widely, you should get a few quotes to see if you are being charged fairly. sometimes the electrician will note that the install is for a tesla think that you are wealthy and will inflate the costs. My installation was fairly simple, adding a 50 amp breaker, about 30 feet of 6 gauge wire and a receptacle, the cost was under $ 500 usd.

I bought a 32A Commando (2P+E) switched socket for around £20 & had it installed under the consumer unit for £60!
I use the UMC with the blue connector to charge my 2017 MS 75D, get 22 mph charge (32A @ 230V = 7.3kW).