Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing HW3 unit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the service center today to have them look at the leak of my passenger rear door............also have them check my battery (long other story). They informed me that I had two bulletins: 1 was to remove - Gap hiding seal - from rear door and 2 -
Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model X (North America
Only).

Nice surprise indeed.
I have a 90 D X purchased with FSD 11/2016 that currently has HW2.0. Is there anyway to get Tesla to do my upgrade to new FSD HW3.0 computer when I bring it in next to get a seatbelt fixed? It was recently in for service and I hoped they would of done this when fixing the clunking sound at front motor that was addressed with new motor mounts. Any suggestions on how to motivate them to do this prepaid upgrade when in next is appreciated.

I have a 90 D X purchased with FSD 11/2016 that currently has HW2.0. Is there anyway to get Tesla to do my upgrade to new FSD HW3.0 computer when I bring it in next to get a seatbelt fixed? It was recently in for service and I hoped they would of done this when fixing the clunking sound at front motor that was addressed with new motor mounts. Any suggestions on how to motivate them to do this prepaid upgrade when in next is appreciated.

They chose when to retrofit a car. And so far it seems like they have only been doing the HW2.5 to HW3 retrofits. (They may not have a kit for HW2.0 cars yet.)

I brought mine in at 9:30 yesterday (11/7) and it is still there. I think mainly because of the other issues I had - water coming when the falcon doors were opened, battery issues etc. Swamping the 2.5 board to the 3.0 board is fairly easy I have been told.

Do let me know what they did to resolve the water coming into the cabin issue.. I have the same issue with the passenger side falcon door and the rear trunk.. when either of them are opened, the water comes into the cabin and the seats get soaked..

I dont want to have to replace the seats too :(

Do let me know what they did to resolve the water coming into the cabin issue.. I have the same issue with the passenger side falcon door and the rear trunk.. when either of them are opened, the water comes into the cabin and the seats get soaked..

I dont want to have to replace the seats too :(

They said they just needed to make an adjustment. It seemed to work because I had melted snow on the top of the car last night and wneh my daughter opened the door nothing came in. Perfect!

Use Schedule Service in the Tesla app, and request the upgrade. They will either offer to schedule it for you, or decline.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Guys, please help me understand what the benefit to this new (updated) computer is? Does anything change immediately? My impression is this won't make a single difference until much further down the road when there is a self-driving software update? My update was just scheduled, and I'm wondering what to expect. Thank you

Guys, please help me understand what the benefit to this new (updated) computer is? Does anything change immediately? My impression is this won't make a single difference until much further down the road when there is a self-driving software update? My update was just scheduled, and I'm wondering what to expect. Thank you

HW3 can show, and react, to traffic cones on the road, with firmware 2019.36.x, where HW2.5 and HW2.0 can not. So that is the initial difference that we know of.

HW3 can show, and react, to traffic cones on the road, with firmware 2019.36.x, where HW2.5 and HW2.0 can not. So that is the initial difference that we know of.

Follow up with the HW3 upgrade. Does it allow for Netflix and additional games vs. the older computer? I assume it has nothing to do with one pedal driving which Raven is getting but would be nice.

Tesla is working on reading stop signs and traffic lights this year. Have they stated whether HW3.0 is going to be required for that?
They haven't stated it and it's not. Up until recently you could activate an option in the MCU to have the IC display when it saw a stop sign or traffic signal. That's gone in the newer firmwares but they were definitely collecting it on at least AP2 HW.

Now the city autopilot will require the new HW3 autopilot computer (APE).