TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Installing HW3 unit!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mtuhoop24, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Ray B

Ray B Member

I have a 90 D X purchased with FSD 11/2016 that currently has HW2.0. Is there anyway to get Tesla to do my upgrade to new FSD HW3.0 computer when I bring it in next to get a seatbelt fixed? It was recently in for service and I hoped they would of done this when fixing the clunking sound at front motor that was addressed with new motor mounts. Any suggestions on how to motivate them to do this prepaid upgrade when in next is appreciated.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

They chose when to retrofit a car. And so far it seems like they have only been doing the HW2.5 to HW3 retrofits. (They may not have a kit for HW2.0 cars yet.)

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah and it's also specifically HW2.5+MCU2 to HW3 for now. The one person we know of who got a MCU1+HW2.5 retrofit was called back in to undo the retrofit.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. thevaibhav

thevaibhav Member

Do let me know what they did to resolve the water coming into the cabin issue.. I have the same issue with the passenger side falcon door and the rear trunk.. when either of them are opened, the water comes into the cabin and the seats get soaked..

I dont want to have to replace the seats too :(

5. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Active Member

I read somewhere that there are some cars being fitted with an extra front facing camera, presumably to give stereo vision.

Anyway, FSD isn't happening on HW 3.x so there is bound to be at least one more revision.

• Funny x 2
  6. mtuhoop24

mtuhoop24 Member

They said they just needed to make an adjustment. It seemed to work because I had melted snow on the top of the car last night and wneh my daughter opened the door nothing came in. Perfect!

7. thevaibhav

thevaibhav Member

Glad it worked out, I’ll have to take it in soon

8. MP3Mike

They already have three front facing cameras... Where are you hearing that they are adding a fourth?

9. tyson

tyson Member

Link the source?

• Like x 1
  10. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

Use Schedule Service in the Tesla app, and request the upgrade. They will either offer to schedule it for you, or decline.

• Like x 1
  11. Gsxr150

Gsxr150 Member

Guys, please help me understand what the benefit to this new (updated) computer is? Does anything change immediately? My impression is this won't make a single difference until much further down the road when there is a self-driving software update? My update was just scheduled, and I'm wondering what to expect. Thank you

12. MP3Mike

HW3 can show, and react, to traffic cones on the road, with firmware 2019.36.x, where HW2.5 and HW2.0 can not. So that is the initial difference that we know of.

13. MiamiEV

MiamiEV Member

Follow up with the HW3 upgrade. Does it allow for Netflix and additional games vs. the older computer? I assume it has nothing to do with one pedal driving which Raven is getting but would be nice.

14. MP3Mike

No HW3 has nothing to do with Netflix and games. That is the MCU.

15. drip

drip Member

Tesla is working on reading stop signs and traffic lights this year. Have they stated whether HW3.0 is going to be required for that?

16. tyson

tyson Member

They haven't stated it and it's not. Up until recently you could activate an option in the MCU to have the IC display when it saw a stop sign or traffic signal. That's gone in the newer firmwares but they were definitely collecting it on at least AP2 HW.

Now the city autopilot will require the new HW3 autopilot computer (APE).

17. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Thats amazing.

I was JUST TOLD TODAY they aren't doing that yet. By the same person who said I cant buy an MCU screen or a rebuilt MCU.

Tesla Service: GET YOUR SH** TOGETHER PLEASE!

18. tyson

tyson Member

To be fair you could only activate the option if you had root access.

You can buy the LCD panel only, the MCU is a restricted part and is available from Tesla. You can get them third party though.

19. drip

drip Member

I get the feeling a lot of HW3 retrofits will be completed before City NoA is released.

• Love x 1
  20. tyson

tyson Member

Yeah depending on what timeline you subscribe to