Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing HW3 unit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they are doing the MX and MS because they know the MCU is going to die soon due to flash memory wear? Because otherwise it doesn't make much sense to fit HW3 when you know you are going to have to upgrade to HW4 to deliver the FSD you sold them like 4 years ago.

I wonder if they are doing the MX and MS because they know the MCU is going to die soon due to flash memory wear? Because otherwise it doesn't make much sense to fit HW3 when you know you are going to have to upgrade to HW4 to deliver the FSD you sold them like 4 years ago.

I don't think I understand. They are replacing the APE unit because the MCU is going to die? How does replacing the APE prevent the MCU from dying?

You KNOW HW4 is required and imminent?

Why do any retrofits at all then on Model 3s that don’t have that issue?

Late 2018 MX. HW2.5, MCU2.

Went in for tire issue. HW3.0 replacement was a surprise. However, they didn’t calibrate parking sensors and now the car beeps every time it is close to curb or other cars. Scheduled another service appt to get the sensors recalibrated.

The service advisor said the mobile techs are not retrofitting HW3.0 yet. In my opinion scheduling a service center visit would get the HW3.0 quicker.
I had the same surprise when I brought mine in to get rid of the shimmy from the left front when punching the accelerator. My MX P100D with EAP is a July 2018 build. Paid for the $3000 upgrade to FSD just before the ‘sale’ ended. LOL

Went in for tire issue. HW3.0 replacement was a surprise. However, they didn’t calibrate parking sensors and now the car beeps every time it is close to curb or other cars. Scheduled another service appt to get the sensors recalibrated.

I just took mine in to look at the rattle on acceleration issue. They also gave me the FSD computer upgrade and did the "remove gap hiding seals" bulletin.

I'm also now seeing this parking sensor issue. Driving me nuts. So set up another appointment to fix, and to show them that the acceleration rattle isn't fixed.

How did your calibration issue get fixed? It's currently preventing me from using cruise-control or auto-pilot.

I don’t think the shaking in the front end was fixed since my I receipt has nothing on it about it being fixed. It seems Tesla just wanted to do the upgrade to HW3 which I didn’t ask for and was going to wait on.

So MCU1/HW2.5 right? Don't know anyone with that combination getting HW3 upgrade yet.

Elon just today said that he hopes they will be able to do that in "a few months"

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

This is quite a thorny hardware problem, as there are many diff versions of mcu & autopilot computer & supporting hardware. Cars last so much longer than phones! Hopefully able to upgrade mcu1 & ap2.0 in a few months.

I am taking my July 2018 MX in for some piddling service on January 2 to the Dublin, California service center. Yesterday I drove in to talk to the techs with a pre-service service visit, to ask questions. I went down the list and got a lot of questions answered as to what really needed to be done or not. One of the questions I had was whether I could get the MCU upgraded to 3.0 and initially the tech said it would cost $1000.00. I told him that I had purchased FSD option at the original purchase and he then said, well, yes, they could do it.

I am going to see what happens

Hi Mbp11,

No MCU upgrade... Your autopilot hardware should be AP or HW2.5
and will be upgraded to the new HW3 when your VIN pops up in their list.
It should be fairly soon.
It is a car radio size computer that installs behind your glove box...
Easy hardware install but sometimes they fight with the software install...

My March 2018 X (First week of MCU2) was purchased with FSD.
It was upgraded to HW3 two weeks ago...

Good luck,

Shawn

Actually, really, I am dropping the MX off at the service center today (Dublin, California) for a safety check and a few items. When I complained about the oscillation on NOA and mentioned the FSD 3.0 CPU upgrade, they said they had them in stock and would install it. Will take 1-2 days I was told. I will report back when I get the car. Mine is the July 2018 build.