Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing MY OEM Performance spoiler on LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t go with the Performance model for number of reasons and my new 2021 MY LR is finally being delivered next week.

one of the things i really liked about the performance model was the spoiler and since Tesla wouldn’t sell me the spoiler separately, i started looking online. While aftermarket spoilers seemed like a great option too, i found a brand new OEM MY Performance spoiler being sold on Craigslist for similar price so just picked it up today.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with installing a “New” oem spoiler on model Y and if there’s any precautions to installing these?

Thanks in advance for your input

Attachments

• 7D19F9B6-25F8-43B9-B676-C0783D2F88BD.jpeg
    7D19F9B6-25F8-43B9-B676-C0783D2F88BD.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 353
Like others will say, make sure the surface is prepped & cleaned really well. One tip is to use a heat gun (or hairdryer) once you've put the spoiler onto the trunk. Work it on the upper & lower parts of the spoiler as this will help work the double-sided tape adhere better to the paint when it starts to 'cure' over the next day or so. Still use painters tape to apply forward pressure on the spoiler while the tape cures.

If you want a guaranteed 'permanent' fit where the 3M tape won't ever come off, especially on the ends, just use some 3M adhesive promotor on the areas where the double-sided tape will stick to. Make sure you apply it carefully, like with a q-tip, as it can mar your clear coat if you're not paying attention while applying it. I actually did this on my Model 3 and the CF spoiler was on there rock solid. I had no intention of ever taking it off.

Do a dry fit test before putting it on to make sure it’s not warped or anything. Basically use painters tape to hold it in place while you shift it to the right placement to make sure neither side sticks up. I bought the RPM Tesla spoiler for my MY and the install video on their site gives you a pretty good idea how to install it.

What were the reasons for you not to get the MYP?
We have a 2.5 year old child and when we test drove both the LR and the MYP, the ride quality was a bit worse on the MYP. Plus, the 21" only came with performance summer tires which will limit us from going to Tahoe each winter season (unless we buy another set of rims/tires or get new set of all season tires for the 21" which from what I've read, aren't really available for this particular size rear wheels).

That was the primary reason for going with the LR over MVP but I was really tempted since I do like the faster 3.5sec 0-60 on MVP which would be a lot more than $12K difference in other car brands out there (e.g. AMG, BMW Ms, etc.). Not to mention, the spoiler, bigger Red calipers and the metal pedals, better quality/expensive wheels, etc.

another tip: when you test fit and get it just right? use an marker (dry erase) on a few areas around the spoiler onto your cars paint. That will allow you to place the spoiler in the exact perfect spot once you are ready to actually lay it down permanently.

We have a 2.5 year old child and when we test drove both the LR and the MYP, the ride quality was a bit worse on the MYP. Plus, the 21" only came with performance summer tires which will limit us from going to Tahoe each winter season (unless we buy another set of rims/tires or get new set of all season tires for the 21" which from what I've read, aren't really available for this particular size rear wheels).

That was the primary reason for going with the LR over MVP but I was really tempted since I do like the faster 3.5sec 0-60 on MVP which would be a lot more than $12K difference in other car brands out there (e.g. AMG, BMW Ms, etc.). Not to mention, the spoiler, bigger Red calipers and the metal pedals, better quality/expensive wheels, etc.
Plus, for $2k at anytime, you can add the acceleration boost from your app. That gets you really close (acceleration wise) to the feel of the MYP for a fraction of the price and zero impact on your LR ride quality

Reactions: 1244wfullerton