Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing OBD2 reader

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking for any existing threads on the topic, but I can't seem to find any, and I'm a bit nervous.

I have this adapter and I was watching videos like this one and that one. The key step is making sure the car is completely off before unplugging the cable to insert the adapter, and I'm not sure whether it's really off. Otherwise, it's apparently possible to damage the car.

I sat in the back seat, pressed Power Off, and waited ten minutes, but I never did hear that relay noise. And when I opened a door, the car woke up quickly, perhaps too quickly.

I stuck my fob in a metal bag and set my phone to Airplane Mode, so I don't think I was keeping it awake with a key. Any clue what I'm doing wrong (if I'm doing anything wrong)?

I'm thinking maybe I should open both doors on the driver's side and not reach forward from the rear seat.

If the car doesn't go to sleep may be is because you have Sentry mode turned on except when at home
and you are not parked at home. Otherwise, may be the feature Do Not Lock When Parked At Home is set?

Anyway, a very simple way to check if your car is in sleep mode, beside waiting for the Dong noise
when the power relay is activated, is to plug an USB device with an LED showing is the device is powered or not.

I use for example one of those wireless charger for my phone, and the LED is red when plugged into an USB plug
and the LED turns blue when I put my phone on top of it and starts charging.

So put this charging device on top of your dashboard to make it visible from the outside and wait until the LED turn off.

Here is another Video: Tesla Model 3 - OBD2 Setup and Scan My Tesla Overview (Older version with missing voice for few minutes)

If the car doesn't go to sleep may be is because you have Sentry mode turned on except when at home
and you are not parked at home. Otherwise, may be the feature Do Not Lock When Parked At Home is set?

Anyway, a very simple way to check if your car is in sleep mode, beside waiting for the Dong noise
when the power relay is activated, is to plug an USB device with an LED showing is the device is powered or not.

I use for example one of those wireless charger for my phone, and the LED is red when plugged into an USB plug
and the LED turns blue when I put my phone on top of it and starts charging.

So put this charging device on top of your dashboard to make it visible from the outside and wait until the LED turn off.

Here is another Video: Tesla Model 3 - OBD2 Setup and Scan My Tesla Overview (Older version with missing voice for few minutes)
Thanks, this is very helpful. It's gotta be due to having left Sentry Mode on. But I'll use the charger/LED trick to make sure.

I had to turn off sentry mode, turn off mobile access, leave doors open. There is that telltale CLUNK when it turns off, my guess is that it is some kind of major relay turning off in the back of the car.

I have just ordered the adapter you show, because this adapter:

obdy.jpg

does NOT fit under the console panel and I don' want to tear the console apart.
Did get it to work through obdlinkmx+/"ScanMyTesla"

I had to turn off sentry mode, turn off mobile access, leave doors open. There is that telltale CLUNK when it turns off, my guess is that it is some kind of major relay turning off in the back of the car.

I have just ordered the adapter you show, because this adapter:

View attachment 599616

does NOT fit under the console panel and I don' want to tear the console apart.
Did get it to work through obdlinkmx+/"ScanMyTesla"
Bad news: the adapter I show above does not fit well. I can't close the panel fully.

See below!

Last edited:
Ok, double-correction.

The kind of adapter I have is the kind that looks like your photo and it works but doesn't let you close the panel fully. The kind I linked to above is the kind that looks like it'll actually fit. In fact, I just ordered one so I can swap.

HTH and sorry about the initial confusion.

Ok, double-correction.

The kind of adapter I have is the kind that looks like your photo and it works but doesn't let you close the panel fully. The kind I linked to above is the kind that looks like it'll actually fit. In fact, I just ordered one so I can swap.

HTH and sorry about the initial confusion.
Resurrecting an old thread, but trying to find an OBD2 cable for the Model Y that can fit while still be able to put the cover back on. Did your 2nd cable allow you to do that? If so, do you have a link to it?

Resurrecting an old thread, but trying to find an OBD2 cable for the Model Y that can fit while still be able to put the cover back on. Did your 2nd cable allow you to do that? If so, do you have a link to it?

I detached the stock plug from it's mount to give more flexibility and then routed a loop of the cable down under the carpet and back up under the cover. I just have the connector for the OBDII dongle sticking out now. I suspect that many of the available cables are less bulky than the one I have and would work better.

Keith

I was able to fit the part with the two CAN connectors inside the console, and I made the OBD2 part's cable go under the cover. Said another way, the OBD2 connector and dongle sit outside the console, where I can access them. I put it between the console and the driver's seat. I used sticky velcro to stick it to the console side so it doesn't lie on the floor.

I detached the stock plug from it's mount to give more flexibility and then routed a loop of the cable down under the carpet and back up under the cover. I just have the connector for the OBDII dongle sticking out now. I suspect that many of the available cables are less bulky than the one I have and would work better.

Keith
Keith,
How were you able to detach the stock plug from the center console frame? I can’t figure out the attachment point. Did you just pry away or do you slide from one direction or another?