Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing RM Ohlins shock kit, proper orientation of parts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got one front factory shock off the car. Now about to install new beautiful parts.

As my luck no instructions and when I called and texted yesterday no response.

I’m fairly sure this is how the washers and insulators go.

Edit….once I put the boot on it changes things. Now I have a rubber washer with huge ID and no place that makes sense.

Attachments

• 2FE1A868-E732-4987-8655-D39BC4774C8E.jpeg
    2FE1A868-E732-4987-8655-D39BC4774C8E.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 117
  • BD0477C4-063C-486C-B3E7-05D75585AEAF.jpeg
    BD0477C4-063C-486C-B3E7-05D75585AEAF.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 62
Finally got one front factory shock off the car. Now about to install new beautiful parts.

Edit….once I put the boot on it changes things. Now I have a rubber washer with huge ID and no place that makes sense.
It appears they do have instructions online. Not showing these parts however.

I'm assuming you found the Model 3 install instructions, but just in case:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0074/6746/6850/files/TM3_Ohlins_Coilover_Install_Guide_1.pdf

That link is from the bottom of their Model 3 coilovers product page:
https://redwoodmotorsports.com/products/ohlins-model-3

For what it's worth, my Model 3 kit came with similar/same looking washers and such for reusing the stock top hats. I've no advice for how to put them together though as I got the pillowball top hats. @RedwoodMotors I think it's worth updating your instructions to show all the latest parts in your coilover kits. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jacie6056

Hope you haven’t used any of those configs b/c they do not look correct. That thick red rubber is for the rear shock. Use only one of the thin red rubber rings for each front damper, not two on one side. The correct assembly is in the instructions, though they are a bit confusing.

Attachments

• 330011EB-FCF3-44A2-AEBF-11FDBA50E761.png
    330011EB-FCF3-44A2-AEBF-11FDBA50E761.png
    822.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Helpful
Reactions: jacie6056 and tm1v2
Long story… I have a MYP. Purchased the UPP 1” drop springs. I installed them. Then I got the “ping-ping” spring sounds from only one of my front UPP springs (on the stock MYP struts). UnPlugged learned of the issue - and sent me new front springs, but I have yet to replace/swap front springs as it’s relatively involved w the spring compressor etc… so I’m looking for aftermarket front struts so I can then finally put on the updated UPP front springs and lose the odd spring sprung noise when turning slowly. It’s 💯% a me issue and I’m looking/waiting. No safety issues, most people didn’t even hear the noise until I reference it… so I’m just waiting.

Rears are a cake walk. If it was my rear springs - that would have been completed in 15 minutes.

Front and rear kits have been installed and so far I really like them. One thing to note is that in the M3 instructions they mention using a rubber pad between the bottom of the spring and the adjustable perch. The kit I have did not have those and upon talking to Redwood Motorsports they no longer recommend the lower rubber pad.

I currently have the shocks adjusted 10 clicks from stiffest position. I will play with this later on.

Ride is better, nothing like the air suspension of our MB or Land Rover but better than stock for sure. One unexpected plus to this install is I no longer have the sudden tilt or weight transfer I would feel during a turn.

Car is getting aligned at Griffin Motowerks in Berkeley on Monday.

Front and rear kits have been installed and so far I really like them. One thing to note is that in the M3 instructions they mention using a rubber pad between the bottom of the spring and the adjustable perch. The kit I have did not have those and upon talking to Redwood Motorsports they no longer recommend the lower rubber pad.

I currently have the shocks adjusted 10 clicks from stiffest position. I will play with this later on.

Ride is better, nothing like the air suspension of our MB or Land Rover but better than stock for sure. One unexpected plus to this install is I no longer have the sudden tilt or weight transfer I would feel during a turn.

Car is getting aligned at Griffin Motowerks in Berkeley on Monday.
@Mike94531 Which version of the coilovers did you get? (GT/Sport/HPDE)