Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

installing satellite radio (or other aux input) via FM direct adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive switched from onyx ezr to roady bt and I can't say I've noticed a difference in sound quality but have enjoyed the convenience of the 1 cord for storage and use. I don't have mine mounted. I just stuff it in console when not in use and pull out when I need to change the channel, which is rare.

Ive switched from onyx ezr to roady bt and I can't say I've noticed a difference in sound quality but have enjoyed the convenience of the 1 cord for storage and use. I don't have mine mounted. I just stuff it in console when not in use and pull out when I need to change the channel, which is rare.

like i said, it may have just been placebo...but to me it seemed there was a difference. i'll probably wait for it to go on sale though before buying again.

Reactions: PhilCaps
Added two 12v outlets and ran my XM radio/FM tuner cables into console of my 2022 M3P today.

For the 12v addition; pretty much did same as OP but had to run the wire from original center 12v though the trim vs fishing it through like OP. Tesla seem to put a plate where 12v/led/card key cables come from so I want able to fish anything through (see pics).

Ran the XM/FM cables under passenger trim, same way as OP.

I ended up keeping the roady bt just for convenience of the single wire connection which works and fits perfect in front cubby.

Attachments

• PXL_20220710_220120565.jpg
    PXL_20220710_220120565.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20220710_231412923.jpg
    PXL_20220710_231412923.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20220710_231320640.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220710_231320640.MP.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20220710_231330531.jpg
    PXL_20220710_231330531.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20220710_231312916.jpg
    PXL_20220710_231312916.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220710_220126644.jpg
    PXL_20220710_220126644.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220710_220124055.jpg
    PXL_20220710_220124055.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: crackers8199
Installed SiriusXM due to some areas in AZ having poor cell and fm coverage, so the app doesnt always work and its a bit of a PITA over bluetooth anyway.

Ran the antenna on the trunk using 3m mounting tape to hold the wire to the underside and ran along and into the grommet for the tail light wiring.

It uses FM direct and disables the outside antenna and directly injects the fm when its on. Used two Fakra adapters to the FM tuner in the back of the car near the C pillar. (forgot to take pictures of this step, but crackers8199 pictures illustrate this beautifully). The 2.5mm female to male extension was 100% necessary to reach to the front although the rubber housing around the male end was a little too large to fit into the tuner for the 2.5mm input so i had to take a razor blade and cut a little bit of it off. Didnt affect how it works and now it fits tight in there.

This runs up to the front and to the Sirius tuner which then goes to the touch screen unit. I mounted the touch screen to the Tesla screen using 3m mounting tape and a steel lateral tie plate cut down to fit to the sirius touch screen. The Sirius unit screws into the tie plate and is nice and secure.

Already have an aftermarket amp so i have 12v constant and 12v switched and ground all at an easy place to get to in the open spot behind the center console near where the hvac filters are so wiring was super simple.

If only Tesla would have included the FM/Sirius tuner that comes OEM in the S/X i could have avoided all this, but im relatively happy with how it all turned out.

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

If only Tesla would have included the FM/Sirius tuner that comes OEM in the S/X i could have avoided all this, but im relatively happy with how it all turned out.

if you have an intel MCU, you can install the OEM SXM tuner. it requires taking the tuner itself apart and swapping the board into the model 3 housing, but it does work...only for intel cars, though. i don't believe anyone has found a way to make it work yet on ryzen cars...the car can see that the tuner is there, but it won't play the audio.

if you have an intel MCU, you can install the OEM SXM tuner. it requires taking the tuner itself apart and swapping the board into the model 3 housing, but it does work...only for intel cars, though. i don't believe anyone has found a way to make it work yet on ryzen cars...the car can see that the tuner is there, but it won't play the audio.

Thanks. Yes I do have an Intel MCU, and I saw that but i still have full warranty until March of next year so before i start taking the tuner apart im going to wait until it expires. All my modifications so far are fairly easily reversed if i need to go in for service, but this feels a lot more invasive. I dont want to get into a pissing match with a service advisor over the Moss Magnuson act if something unrelated fails. After that warranty is gone, i may pursue this route as it would be 100% nicer to have it all on screen and not this add-on. Thankfully, this unit is really small and all the guts are hidden away so its easy to ignore its not an OEM solution.

Reactions: crackers8199
Thanks. Yes I do have an Intel MCU, and I saw that but i still have full warranty until March of next year so before i start taking the tuner apart im going to wait until it expires. All my modifications so far are fairly easily reversed if i need to go in for service, but this feels a lot more invasive. I dont want to get into a pissing match with a service advisor over the Moss Magnuson act if something unrelated fails. After that warranty is gone, i may pursue this route as it would be 100% nicer to have it all on screen and not this add-on. Thankfully, this unit is really small and all the guts are hidden away so its easy to ignore its not an OEM solution.

if you need service for anything, i'd still take it out before going in to the SC. they'll find it. ask me how i know...

another option is to buy a spare model 3 tuner on ebay and use that to do the housing swap. that's what i did, i still have my original model 3 tuner completely intact in case i ever want or need to go back for whatever reason.

Reactions: ph0ton