Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing smoke detectors and other safety devices for battery packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read this about why a smoke detector could have issues in a garage, and why instead you can install a heat detector Should You Have A Smoke Alarm In The Attic or Garage? Yes or No - Buyers Ask

If you install one in your garage, make sure that you can hear it from inside or that it networks with your house alarms in order to set them all off.

Requiring all outlets to use AFCI protection sounds like a good idea for safety, but it also adds cost to new construction and installation. AFCI is already required in most areas for all outlets except in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and outdoor outlets (where GCFI are required). I believe that as long as an experienced electrician does the install of the vehicle charging circuit, there should be no requirement for the AFCI. Not sure if the AFCI breakers are prone to nuisance tripping like sometimes occurs with GCFI and electric vehicle charging equipment. EVSE (aka electric vehicle charging equipment) already have built-in safety checks that can trip a GCFI circuit needlessly. It seems like there might be at least a small chance of nuisance tripping though (see Tesla tripping AFCI breakers). There are other things to be found online about nuisance tripping on other things besides EVs. Also, I can't seem to find any AFCI breakers that are higher than 15A or 20A, which makes sense because they are only required for regular outlets right now. For charging EVs it is better to have 240V 50A for a NEMA 14-50 outlet or 60A breaker for a wall connector.

Edit: I found some 50A breakers that have AFCI and are made by Leviton. They are the LB250-ES and LB250-EP. They cost about $200 where I was able to find them online.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd