Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Solar at Your Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few. Bluepacificsolar.com sold me my parts (17kW, 68 panels), engineered drawings and instructions. Roughly 33K, compared to the best responsible bid well in excess of $100K. Still, while its not rocket science, it is a big project. It took us 120 hours in labor over seven weeks to get it done. Because of the way my town issues permits, I was required to do the entire project myself -- I would have liked to have subbed out a couple of parts of the project (installing mounts on a 10/12 roof; final electrical connection, for example), but I was able to complete the project, exceed code, pass inspection, and actually look better than the less reputable bids.

Hi Bollar,

I'm in the Grand Prairie and just purchased a home with solar and was trying to get everything linked up to PVoutput.org. Would you be willing to discuss your process of achieving this with me?

Thanks!

Anybody interested in getting solar but the spouse isn't really going for it do the following, as long as you plan on living there for a while. Crunch the numbers of the cost of your current electric bill vs. what it would be with solar. THEN figure SREC $$, take all that money and pay back the panels with it and your monthly cost becomes CLEAR that going solar is the best decision you could make for your family, budget, and environment. IF you are in a very shady area then that would be the only reason it wouldn't make sense. We have solar and a Model S and both of us are teachers so we are not rich by any stretch but driving around knowing we are not polluting our environment brings a smile to my face every day !!!!