Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also just received a FedEx shipping notification about a package from Yakima... and I also have not contacted Tesla. This cannot be a coincidence. o_O

In the meantime, based on my my belief that the fractured clips were the result of improper heat treating, I went ahead and annealed mine this afternoon. Once the paint was gone it was easy to see that there are marks on the sheet metal from the bending die right (see pic) where the fracture is happening... these marks are also aligned with the bottom of the screw-slot.

At this point I guess I'll wait until next week when the new clips (assuming that's what they've sent) arrive before installing my roof rack.

-Mark

tesla_roofrack1.jpg

tesla_roofrack2.jpg

So it looks like if we contacted Tesla about ours being broken already we aren’t gettting these shipment notifications from Yakima. We just have to wait until the racks come back into stock, thats a raw deal becasue it sounds like that’s going to be awhile. All I want are new clips... the rest of my rack is fine.

In the meantime, based on my my belief that the fractured clips were the result of improper heat treating, I went ahead and annealed mine this afternoon. Once the paint was gone it was easy to see that there are marks on the sheet metal from the bending die right (see pic) where the fracture is happening... these marks are also aligned with the bottom of the screw-slot.
What procedure are you using for annealing? I have a programmable kiln and can anneal mine if I know temperatures and times (I haven't gotten any notice from Yakima).

Thanks!

Holy smokes! I just got the email from Tesla about the replacement clips!

OK, I have to admit this situation had me feeling pretty badly about Tesla's competence, but it seems like they are actually on top of this situation. A good thing because this could have been an incredibly BAD THING for a lot of people -- not only owners, but anyone driving behind them when roof cargo fell off.

Funny that literally two minutes after I post the message about annealing, I get the email.

Well I'm glad that I"m not the only person having this issue. I just went to mount a ski attachment on my rack and found the clip completely sheared in two. I really hope Tesla is going to do something more than just replace the clips. This is outright dangerous and I'm lucky to have discovered it in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: TomHudson
So it looks like if we contacted Tesla about ours being broken already we aren’t gettting these shipment notifications from Yakima. We just have to wait until the racks come back into stock, thats a raw deal becasue it sounds like that’s going to be awhile. All I want are new clips... the rest of my rack is fine.

This is so frustrating, you'd assume those who've been proactive, let Tesla know the problem existed, and took the trouble to send them back the racks for evaluation would be the first to enjoy the solution, not the other way around.

This is so frustrating, you'd assume those who've been proactive, let Tesla know the problem existed, and took the trouble to send them back the racks for evaluation would be the first to enjoy the solution, not the other way around.

I think they are assuming if we reported our racks broken they need to replace the entire system, even though I explained to them that the only part needing replacement are the clips.

Now I’m stuck with a broken rack until who knows when, even though there seems to be a simple fix for the problem that others with functioning racks are already receiving.