Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume since all quiet here that the new bolts are holding up. I may try finally installing mine this weekend.

Actually, waiting for new rack. Since mine flew off the car, totalled the rack, and nicked the car. I'm bringing into shop for them to fix and install. Theyre actually replacing the glass due to the seal now allowing air in and causing a continuos, annoying whistling.

has anyone else in Canada received the replacement kit yet? just got mine today. very happy to get it. 2 of the old clips broke. BUT the free return kit unfortunately has American postage on it. maybe they don't know that USPS is American only? has any Canadian paid for the privilege of returning the broken bits?

I never got the email but I kept pestering customer support the past week and they manually shipped me the new bolts from Fremont on Wednesday. Received them on Thursday in San Francisco and installed the rack today. Good luck!
I took your advice and pestered the heck out of tesla online support and they finally sent the clips from fremont to me on monday and I got them today finally!

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 904
Reactions: TomHudson
Got my rack installed tonight, took about 25 minutes. Having all the discussion about installation made the job go super fast. The rubber strips in the channel seem very flexible so I don't anticipate any problems installing the mounting bolts for my tandem bike rack, which I'm going to try out this weekend.

Took it for a spin on the highway at up to 80mph and it was incredibly quiet... not at all like my old Thule square bar rack on the Saturn. Big thumbs up!

20190320_182438.jpg

I actually ordered the roof rack on Feb 7. Card was charged on Feb 8. After two weeks, I emailed to check on the order status, and received an email a few days later saying they were out of stock, and that my order would be backordered and fulfilled when they received more. Well, it is Mar 22 and I'm still waiting.

Has anyone ordered and received a roof rack in the past 6 weeks?

Glad you got it sorted out. My roof rack has been holding great with the new clips and a Yakima FatCat 6 Evo ski rack. No problems last weekend with 4 pairs of skis SF <-> Tahoe.

View attachment 388966

Finally had time to install the rack with the new clips. The rear bar was easy to install onto the foot pads, but the front bar, I had a little trouble with getting it to sit well enough for the clip to have enough thread to fasten the bolts. I hand tightened each corner first, then used the tool to slowly turn and tighten it, and heard some scary cracking sounds. It feels pretty solid and tight now. Will add my ski attachment and try it out next week for our upcoming trip to tahoe.

Attachments

• IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 263
I was lucky enough to be able to order a set during the few hours they were available in Europe on Wednesday. They were shipped instantly and I received them today (within less than 48 hours). These are the clips that were included. They look different from what has been posted upthread. The thread of the clips seems to be slightly longer, but overall the length seems to be the same. And more importantly: no more hole in the middle.

Clips.jpg

Tifighter, Yes I Too ordered my roof rack on Feb 7th and still haven't received a shipping date. I also emailed Tesla and received the same vague response. Due to reading this forum I am actually glad that they didn't ship out a rack with the defective clips. Hopefully they will ship this out soon because it is prime biking season here!