Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a little confused. What’s holding the clips onto the roof?
Is it the glass or is there something else that the clip is supposed to clip onto?

There are mounting points for the glass roof in the weatherstrip area. - see the '<'

9f4925bb-9fb9-415f-bcf2-3bb8f16af4ea-jpeg.273308

If you look under the black rubber molding, you can see a little trap where you can insert a bracket.

69bd6603-acb9-4a46-95e1-3a45faf898ce-jpeg.273309

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the great information. I posted my install video in another thread but I guess I will put it here also in case it helps:
Good vid, thanks for the time and effort.

My one concern is the part where you say that you're installing the clip "under the glass." It is under the glass, of course, but more importantly, it is IN the anchor that's welded into the seam under the glass. The last thing anybody wants to do is just hook under the glass, missing that anchor.

Thanks for mentioning at the end about leaving that pad on the car. This could have been designed in so easily! A thin nut or pretty much *any* way of cinching down the pad so that the pad stays on the car as long as you wish. Then the rack slips over the remaining end of the nut, and secured (preferably in a more simple way than another nut that needs a tool). When crossbars are not installed, a snap-on cover would be employed just like you mention.

Thanks again. cheers,

Good vid, thanks for the time and effort.

My one concern is the part where you say that you're installing the clip "under the glass." It is under the glass, of course, but more importantly, it is IN the anchor that's welded into the seam under the glass. The last thing anybody wants to do is just hook under the glass, missing that anchor.

Thanks for mentioning at the end about leaving that pad on the car. This could have been designed in so easily! A thin nut or pretty much *any* way of cinching down the pad so that the pad stays on the car as long as you wish. Then the rack slips over the remaining end of the nut, and secured (preferably in a more simple way than another nut that needs a tool). When crossbars are not installed, a snap-on cover would be employed just like you mention.

Thanks again. cheers,

To be honest I had not seen the picture above showing the metal clip and it is barely mentioned in the install guide. So I was not clear how it was designed exactly. I feel these Tesla should have done a better job illustrating this clip in the install guide. If not, I hope that the clip is designed so that it's nearly impossible to get it wrong otherwise people are going to miss that step.

The other disappointing part is that the final snap-on pieces do not fit super tight and leave some gaps at the front of the bar. It's my guess that this is causing a slight whistle at times on my rack. It also makes me worry that the pieces could pop off at some point. The snap-on pieces should be more snug.

Despite those issues, I am overall very happy with the rack. IMO it looks even better on the car than I expected and the rack itself fees very solid.

For those wondering, I took a few (very) rough measurements. The front crossbar is approximately 1.5" lower than the rear crossbar (i.e. the front bar drops approx 1.5" from the rear bar). These are only rough measurements. While I was on approximately level ground, the exact measurement could differ slightly. Also, there is approximately 24" between the bars and approximately 27" from one T-channel to the other. Again, these were only quick, rough measurements and may not be exact.

• Informative
Reactions: EVnut
To be honest I had not seen the picture above showing the metal clip and it is barely mentioned in the install guide. So I was not clear how it was designed exactly. I feel these Tesla should have done a better job illustrating this clip in the install guide. If not, I hope that the clip is designed so that it's nearly impossible to get it wrong otherwise people are going to miss that step.

The other disappointing part is that the final snap-on pieces do not fit super tight and leave some gaps at the front of the bar. It's my guess that this is causing a slight whistle at times on my rack. It also makes me worry that the pieces could pop off at some point. The snap-on pieces should be more snug.

Despite those issues, I am overall very happy with the rack. IMO it looks even better on the car than I expected and the rack itself fees very solid.

For those wondering, I took a few (very) rough measurements. The front crossbar is approximately 1.5" lower than the rear crossbar (i.e. the front bar drops approx 1.5" from the rear bar). These are only rough measurements. While I was on approximately level ground, the exact measurement could differ slightly. Also, there is approximately 24" between the bars and approximately 27" from one T-channel to the other. Again, these were only quick, rough measurements and may not be exact.
Yikes. Yeah. Well, thanks again for the good info here.

Were I designing this, the beauty cover would not be a loose piece that snaps on (and off!) it would be hinged, or somehow tethered. Better is no cover at all, just a flush handle that operates a cam to secure the rack to the bolted-on landing pad.... just like the big rack makers do.... Man, I'd really like to know what rack maker designed and built these.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Yikes. Yeah. Well, thanks again for the good info here.

Were I designing this, the beauty cover would not be a loose piece that snaps on (and off!) it would be hinged, or somehow tethered. Better is no cover at all, just a flush handle that operates a cam to secure the rack to the bolted-on landing pad.... just like the big rack makers do.... Man, I'd really like to know what rack maker designed and built these.

Agreed. On the other hand, there are some really nice touches that I should mention.
1. The locks are internal, not ugly and not exposed to the elements. Makes for a very sleek, "factory" look and no bars that extend beyond the connection points.
2. The cross bars, wing nuts and other pieces appear to be very high quality materials. In general, as good or better than the hardware I have received from Thule/Yakima. The T-channel design is very helpful and versatile.
3. The design is very streamlined and and I think will prove to be very slippery in the wind.
4. Because of that, I can see leaving these on more than I originally anticipated.

In general, the quality is definitely there but there are a couple of "usability" elements that would make it even better.

I am going to play with some small tape at the gaps and see if this solves the whistle.

• Informative
Reactions: EVnut
Agreed. On the other hand, there are some really nice touches that I should mention.
1. The locks are internal, not ugly and not exposed to the elements. Makes for a very sleek, "factory" look and no bars that extend beyond the connection points.
2. The cross bars, wing nuts and other pieces appear to be very high quality materials. In general, as good or better than the hardware I have received from Thule/Yakima. The T-channel design is very helpful and versatile.
3. The design is very streamlined and and I think will prove to be very slippery in the wind.
4. Because of that, I can see leaving these on more than I originally anticipated.

In general, the quality is definitely there but there are a couple of "usability" elements that would make it even better.

I am going to play with some small tape at the gaps and see if this solves the whistle.
Got it. Good points. And I'm glad to hear of the high quality. I agree that it looks much better than a typical "universal" aftermarket Yakima solution. No bar ends to bonk your head on, etc. They definitely look sleek, and I do love the T-channel. And they designed the staggered tower heights appropriate for the car and placement. Certainly the hidden locks and such could still co-exist with a better design that hides the practical bits.

The pads could still be the only part "bolted" to the car. The rack towers could slide over these pads, and attach to them with a locked cam. And then a hinged beauty cover to hide it all. But really, I'm OK with the lock implementation of most Yakima products. I'm OK seeing a little silver circle to make things more practical and inexpensive.

Model 3s about to hit Europe and a lot of Norwegians are expecting a roof rack when car is delivered. Alas, seeing no status change (sold out) in the US shop - is it safe to assume the poor design of this rack and glass issues have made them cancel the whole thing, as they did with the Model S? Certainly seems so as they haven´t sent out any official communication on the matter.

Model 3s about to hit Europe and a lot of Norwegians are expecting a roof rack when car is delivered. Alas, seeing no status change (sold out) in the US shop - is it safe to assume the poor design of this rack and glass issues have made them cancel the whole thing, as they did with the Model S? Certainly seems so as they haven´t sent out any official communication on the matter.

I think they are just out of stock. I like the design, and so do some reviews that I have seen, here and on YouTube.

Looks to me like the Model S roof rack is not canceled at all: Model S Whispbar Roof Rack System

Reactions: cstork
I think they are just out of stock. I like the design, and so do some reviews that I have seen, here and on YouTube.

Looks to me like the Model S roof rack is not canceled at all: Model S Whispbar Roof Rack System

I certainly hope so but seems like very poor information management on this though. Here in Norway nobody at Tesla sales knows anything about anything it seems. And the Model S in Norway only sells with glass roof so no attachment points possible there....

I'm not sure that "batch" is the correct word. Maybe "another few?" I mean seriously, we know of only a handful of people who've been able to purchase the rack.

Which is why I think they have actually taken this option off the market and the Model Y will be the ONLY option that will have a roof rack possibility. But why Tesla would not offer this on all their cars except the Roadster is beyond me if they want to try and sell as many cars as possible - and particularly when they want the Model 3 to be the main income source provider going ahead. "Hey, I know what we will do, let´s NOT equip the TM3 with an official roof rack and hitch option - that´ll draw´em in!"....

• Disagree
Reactions: cstork
I think the previous thread is creating a false rumor:
Which is why I think they have actually taken this option off the market and the Model Y will be the ONLY option that will have a roof rack possibility.
If Tesla didn't want to sell a roof rack for the Model 3, they wouldn't have the item listed as an accessory. The fact they are keeping it on the web site is an indication they plan on selling this.

I bet the more likely cause for the slow delivery is that it isn't the highest priority. Perhaps they put a junior person on it and had some "production problems".

Reactions: My2cents
I think the previous thread is creating a false rumor:

If Tesla didn't want to sell a roof rack for the Model 3, they wouldn't have the item listed as an accessory. The fact they are keeping it on the web site is an indication they plan on selling this.

I bet the more likely cause for the slow delivery is that it isn't the highest priority. Perhaps they put a junior person on it and had some "production problems".

I really hope that they will start selling them again of course, I am not here to try and spread any false rumors or to do trolling in the thread. Hopefully they are ready for when the European online shop opens (which supposedly is sometime (Tesla time?) in Q1 :)

Wonder if the stock issue is because they are trying to update the design in some way

I hope you're correct. As I mentioned in the bigger roof rack thread, I spoke with a Tesla-approved rack dealer. He indicated Tesla is seeing some glass roof damage from improper installs. It makes sense they are looking at improving the design to make it more fool-proof. I'm looking for a ski rack. I would prefer a roof rack but may be forced to go with a hitch if they don't make a roof rack available soon.

I hope you're correct. As I mentioned in the bigger roof rack thread, I spoke with a Tesla-approved rack dealer. He indicated Tesla is seeing some glass roof damage from improper installs. It makes sense they are looking at improving the design to make it more fool-proof. I'm looking for a ski rack. I would prefer a roof rack but may be forced to go with a hitch if they don't make a roof rack available soon.

I can get by one season without one and continue just flipping the seat down...but they better have one by next season!