Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Norway will see a lot of cancellations I think if the roof rack is not available within the next couple of weeks when deliveries start. A shame that the Tesla communications dept. is not doing any communicating about why so few were sold, why they were so quickly out of stock and when/if it well be back on sale.

do you have a picture of your car with the Yakima SKybox 21 from far away? Do you think the 21 is too big (unproportional)? Would you have went with the 12 or 18?

I wanna be able to fit 4 snowboards with the binders still attached to it.

The 12 is going to be too small for 4 snowboards. For 4 snowboards, I would think the Skybox 16 would be a good option. It's a bit shorter than the 21 or 18, but more than long enough for snowboards. I'm considering it also. Another good option is the Yakima FatCat EVO 6. Very good option for 4 snowboards.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to completely uninstall the roof rack when it’s not in use? I really only need it once or twice a year for road trips and prefer to not have it on most of the time.

I wonder if it’s possible to order additional protective adhesive tape to reinstall the rack later?

For sure you can completely remove the roof rack.

The adhesive tape is a different question. I am thinking about cutting pieces of PPF rather than using the included pieces. PPF should look better and be almost invisible after removing the rack.

$600 is here in Canada. $450 in US. I ordered one miraculously 2 days ago then decided to change delivery address.....THEN THEY CANCELLED MY ORDER...told me I had to order it again...then of course it was "sold out" but surprisingly became available again yesterday so I wait to get it and enjoy my kayaking again.

These are apparently back in stock now and mine has been shipped. I wonder if the initial sketchy availability was due to a small-scale rollout to make sure the rack didn't have any major production bugs... like the too-short studs on the J-bolts. Makes me wonder if those have been adjusted in later kits. I'll post a follow-up message when I install mine.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
These are apparently back in stock now and mine has been shipped. I wonder if the initial sketchy availability was due to a small-scale rollout to make sure the rack didn't have any major production bugs... like the too-short studs on the J-bolts. Makes me wonder if those have been adjusted in later kits. I'll post a follow-up message when I install mine.

Please let us know if you see any differences to the install/hardware as opposed to those who bought it in December :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
$600 is here in Canada. $450 in US. I ordered one miraculously 2 days ago then decided to change delivery address.....THEN THEY CANCELLED MY ORDER...told me I had to order it again...then of course it was "sold out" but surprisingly became available again yesterday so I wait to get it and enjoy my kayaking again.

Ah... don't know why I was signed into the Canada store!

I just received the rack and installed. Couple of observations and one question.

They must have taken heed to the criticism of the length of the threads on the clips. The ones I received were longer and stuck out about 3/8". It was a piece of cake screwing the nut on. I don't have a torque wrench. Pretty much just hand tightened and then about one full turn with the allen wrench. They were rock solid, not going anywhere.

The anti-abrasion adhesive looks like a very thin vinyl PPF. I applied using the same technique for a wet application of PPF. Spray a little alcohol or soap solution on both the paint and adhesive. That allows you to adjust positioning and squeegee out any air bubbles.

Looks great; I expect I'll keep these on all winter and then remove after ski season.

Here is my question: for the life of me, I can't figure out the T-slot system. I don't know if the rubber is too tight because it's new, or what. But I can't slide on the T-bolts. The bolts are supposed to compress the rubber and it on top of the rubber, yes? Maybe I need to loosen up the rubber with some oil or something? TIA for any guidance.

I just received the rack and installed. Couple of observations and one question.

They must have taken heed to the criticism of the length of the threads on the clips. The ones I received were longer and stuck out about 3/8". It was a piece of cake screwing the nut on. I don't have a torque wrench. Pretty much just hand tightened and then about one full turn with the allen wrench. They were rock solid, not going anywhere.

The anti-abrasion adhesive looks like a very thin vinyl PPF. I applied using the same technique for a wet application of PPF. Spray a little alcohol or soap solution on both the paint and adhesive. That allows you to adjust positioning and squeegee out any air bubbles.

Looks great; I expect I'll keep these on all winter and then remove after ski season.

Here is my question: for the life of me, I can't figure out the T-slot system. I don't know if the rubber is too tight because it's new, or what. But I can't slide on the T-bolts. The bolts are supposed to compress the rubber and it on top of the rubber, yes? Maybe I need to loosen up the rubber with some oil or something? TIA for any guidance.

Also got mine today, can confirm. Haven't gotten a chance to install it yet but looks pretty solid on the threads.

Debating between using the stickers or getting actual PPF put on.

I agree, getting the T-bolts in on top of the rubber is extraordinarily difficult.

mine will also just strap to the bar...wonder if that will be worth doing instead for easy removal.

Last edited:
Installed a Yakima FatCat EVO 6 ski rack. I decided to go with the included clamp with rubber strap, which fits great. Not as aerodynamic, but it's rock solid. And I feel like it's going to be easier on and off than the T-slot. I may re-visit the T-slot at a later time.

I started to use PPF vinyl but I lost my patience trying to cut exact pieces. So I went with the stickers, which fit perfectly. I hope they come off easily at the end of the season.

@sroh So, my Thule tandem bike carrier is set up to use a Thule SquareBar, with straps that bolt to flanges on the side of the carrier... looks like the top of the Tesla rack has a little curve to it... is there some sort of matching curve on the bottom of your ski rack clamp that matches that?

I have a full machine shop so I'm sure I can fabricate anything I need; just wondering how stuff is intended to fit to these T-slot racks.

I'm thinking I can either buy or build flanged bolts that will fit into the Tesla rack and attach those to the carrier's flanges.

Yes, I believe the Tesla roof rack bars are what they call 'aero' bars. They are indeed curved. The Yakima ski rack comes with a clamp that is also curved and meant to fit 'aero' bars. Here is a photo of what it looks like. Bottom right.

yakima fatcat evo 6 clamp - Bing images

I bet Thule also has an 'aero' bar clamp that fits your bike carrier.

Good luck!
Well, I looked into what Yakima has to offer and found these:

MightyMount 32H Set of 4 | Yakima

These are apparently designed to adapt Yakima's round- or square-bar items to fit the aero bars, and look like this:

Screenshot_2019-02-12 MightyMount 32H Set of 4 Yakima.png

If this will fit the Tesla aero bars, I think this is exactly what I need. Any idea if the Tesla bars are approximately the same cross-section as Yakima's?

@TomHudson,
It looks like it would fit well, but I'm not sure. The issue is the Tesla roof rack is so new, most suppliers/resellers don't have it in their database. Etrailer.com is a great resource for fitting questions -- you might search there. The best approach may be to take one of the racks to a shop and have them find an attachment.

Thanks for your report. Gosh, the T-slot system should be drop-dead easy, so this is concerning. Does it come with T-bolts? How many? I'm looking forward to hear how anybody is making this work. Maybe the rubber needs to be removed in order to utilize the bolts properly?

Thanks for your report. Gosh, the T-slot system should be drop-dead easy, so this is concerning. Does it come with T-bolts? How many? I'm looking forward to hear how anybody is making this work. Maybe the rubber needs to be removed in order to utilize the bolts properly?

The Tesla roof rack does not come with T-bolts. I purchased a set that is compatible with the ski rack I installed. I assumed it would be drop-dead easy as you say. It's not. For my ski rack, I would need to slide each T-bolt about 1 foot on each side. I couldn't get it past a half inch. I expect it's mostly due to the rubber on the rack being too new and too tight. So it will probably get easier over time. I also suspect using a bit of oil or WD-40 would also help.

But the clamps that came with the ski rack fits perfectly onto the roof rack. So I'm going with that for now.

And no, I can't imagine you would remove the rubber. The rubber keeps the T-bolt in place. It just needs to be softened.