Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Valentine One

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or one values their free time. I pay people all the time to do things I know how to do myself.

Not really free time when you need to take the car somewhere or schedule to have someone to come to your house if thats even available. Im all about paying people to do things that are not worth my time, but installing a valentine 1 is not worth it for me. I could knock it out in about 25 minutes.

It's all very easy until it comes time to tapping that red wire (assuming you have a 2019+). Then it turns to pure hell. I worked on and off for 90 minutes trying all kinds of ways of tapping that thick red wire and couldn't do it. It's worlds easier, and safer, just to direct-wire and take the wire all the way back under the door sill and pop it out on the floor by the B-pillar, under the front seat, and into the passenger corner of the center console and use the 12v plug. The only thing is, the 12v plug *can* stay on when you leave the car... it only turns off if the car sleeps, so with sentry mode on the 12v plug stays active/on. If/when I park for more than a couple hours anywhere I just hit the power switch off on the radar, but 90% of the time I just leave the radar on.

It's all very easy until it comes time to tapping that red wire (assuming you have a 2019+). Then it turns to pure hell. I worked on and off for 90 minutes trying all kinds of ways of tapping that thick red wire and couldn't do it. It's worlds easier, and safer, just to direct-wire and take the wire all the way back under the door sill and pop it out on the floor by the B-pillar, under the front seat, and into the passenger corner of the center console and use the 12v plug. The only thing is, the 12v plug *can* stay on when you leave the car... it only turns off if the car sleeps, so with sentry mode on the 12v plug stays active/on. If/when I park for more than a couple hours anywhere I just hit the power switch off on the radar, but 90% of the time I just leave the radar on.
Very easy to tap the red wire with something like this. Just slip over the wire and squeeze with pliers.
975408C4-BACC-4AA0-8102-AAD57AE64453.jpeg

Very easy to tap the red wire with something like this. Just slip over the wire and squeeze with pliers. View attachment 542374

Theoretically, very easy yes, I've done it many times. I spent more than an hour trying to do that on my Tesla and just got wise to go the easier and safer route, to the 12v accessory port.

The issue is it is extremely difficult to to both see what you are doing AND get a hand on what you are doing... and it is impossible to get 2 hands in there. That's either a 16g or 18g wire and I have strong hands and was hoping to at least press it on to start it, then go back in with pliers to clamp it, but could never even get it started and with my big shoulders and arms it was unlikely pliers were ever going to get in there.

Theoretically, very easy yes, I've done it many times. I spent more than an hour trying to do that on my Tesla and just got wise to go the easier and safer route, to the 12v accessory port.

The issue is it is extremely difficult to to both see what you are doing AND get a hand on what you are doing... and it is impossible to get 2 hands in there. That's either a 16g or 18g wire and I have strong hands and was hoping to at least press it on to start it, then go back in with pliers to clamp it, but could never even get it started and with my big shoulders and arms it was unlikely pliers were ever going to get in there.
The wire doesn’t need to be tapped behind the dash. It runs down to the floor behind the driver side kick panel. It’s easy to access here.
E2195581-4937-4928-A751-BD9F12ED5473.jpeg

Yes, that is an option, and in fact I think it is the only option. My concern with doing this is that it becomes very readily apparent that the wiring has been hacked. In the event of a warranty issue, that may not have a damn thing to do with tapping this wire or a radar install, it could be enough for Tesla to deny troubleshooting an issue since the factory wiring had the bundled group un-taped at the middle location, then that branch un-taped, then that wire pulled to the front, then that wire tapped. If it could have been done significantly more clandestinely, or if a fuse-block tap were possible, I'd feel better about it. Admittedly, my concerns may be overblown.

That's a really fantastic picture though, and shows just how damn thick that wire is. For anyone buying a direct-wire kit, the clamp/tap that comes with it probably won't work, as I know mine wouldn't. Picking up a posi-tap for a 16g-18g wire would be the best approach.

Reactions: Captndad

2020's dont have the red wire in the plug. Thats a pain to reach and there are easier options as mentioned by others.

Very easy to tap the red wire with something like this. Just slip over the wire and squeeze with pliers. View attachment 542374

Those are old school and crappy. The link I posted above is significantly better and it puts a very small hole in the wire. Easier to remove and conceal if needed.

Section cup top and left of mirror. Good room, visibility, and conceals easier.
I have the same set up as this.. I've had it in the same spot in all my cars.. I think it's a perfect spot..

It's def worth hardwiring it so the wires don't hang all over.. It was more pain in the butt then in my previous BMW e92 but def love my setup now..