Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Viofo A129 dashcam with park mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ramonneke

Apr 26, 2018
Rotterdam
I have a European Model S and want to hardwire a Viofo A129 2 channel dashcam. It has a parking mode but was wondering where to connect it. As I have a European MS the Microphone grill has the alarm connected. Can I still hardware a dashcam there and not overload the fuse?

What type of fuses does the Model S have? Does the type have a name? Alternatively I want to add a fuse box override like the following but I need to know what fuse type is used to order the right type:

Car Automobile Beauty Fuse Box Blade Electric Appliance Holder With Fuse

Also, I want to hook it up in such a way that is runs continuously for park mode. Its unclear to me if the A129 uses a movement sensor and/or uses an additional wire to understand it the car is parked.

I just run the wire and plug it to the OBD II socket for constant 12V power.

would not be a problem, however that dash cam is a 5V and not 12V. lol....

There is a 12V power tap hidden inside the rear view mirror cover, shown on this video.

You can tap that with a extension cable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...39798760&sr=8-14&keywords=4+pin+fan+extension

However again, its 12V and not 5V.
You will need to get a 12V to 5V step down like this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077C1HTP...&pd_rd_r=e2799b0a-d235-11e8-aebe-29a146e1910f

for your camera.

I can confirm that I tapped the 12v power supply under the mic grill , without having to snake a wire all the way to the ODB II port.

I followed TeslaTap's guide here: Ultimate 2018 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap

The loose end of the 12v to 5v coverter I bought from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2DGI10) was too thick so I did have to sand it down, but otherwise, the instructions were spot on.
I bought two of the single channel Viofo A119's, but haven't gotten around to installing the rear one yet!

I can confirm that I tapped the 12v power supply under the mic grill , without having to snake a wire all the way to the ODB II port.

I followed TeslaTap's guide here: Ultimate 2018 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap

!
I was searching around but never got definite answer. Is the power under the mic grill always-on for parking mode? Any concern of depleting battery power for airport parking, for example?

from my experience it is mostly always on.
I see the blue power button being on my blackvue.
I should check to see if its on when the car is really off off tho.

As for phantom drain.
I do not think its that significant on a car with a 75kwh battery pack or greater.
There are other things to make you more worry about phantom power draw, like internal cabin over temp protection.

Just dont be an idiot that leaves the car at the airport with less then 10% charge for a week trip.
(you know who im talking about... that youtuber that learned the lesson the hardway how much much of a hassle it is when your tesla runs out of juice.)

Personally i think you should be ubering to the airport instead of parking in long term parking, as the cost will probably be the same, and you dont need to worry about your car sitting in a lot thats not your home.

I was searching around but never got definite answer. Is the power under the mic grill always-on for parking mode? Any concern of depleting battery power for airport parking, for example?
Yes, it's always on. It's on the "Alarm System" fuse since it's used for an alarm sensor in Europe. I've had BlackVue 2ch system running from that connector on 3 Model S so far, and while it does use some power it stays "below the radar" for car's warning system (if the 12V batter drains too quick, the car has to upcharge the 12V battery too often, which car generates a 12V warning). If you do a quick calculation, BlackVue DR750LW-2CH draws 5.8W in parking mode (source here), so it draws 139.2Wh per day, which is about a half a mile of rated range per day increase to vampire drain. The inefficiencies of charging the 12V from the 400V battery might push it to 0.6-0.75 miles of rated range lost per day.

from my experience it is mostly always on.
I see the blue power button being on my blackvue.
I should check to see if its on when the car is really off off tho.

As for phantom drain.
I do not think its that significant on a car with a 75kwh battery pack or greater.
There are other things to make you more worry about phantom power draw, like internal cabin over temp protection.

It doesn't get the power from the 75kwh battery though. It gets it from the smaller 12 volt battery with 33ah I think.

But 12v battery can still die with the cars big battery still having significant charge. It happened to my friends Model S.
Die yes, discharge completely, no. When the 12V battery "dies" in a Tesla which has the HV battery charged, that means the 12V battery is simply not able to hold charge (or unable to charge at all - rare but can happen). This happens in ICE cars too - even with alternators perfectly functioning and nothing draining it, the battery dies and therefore needs replacement.

Die yes, discharge completely, no. When the 12V battery "dies" in a Tesla which has the HV battery charged, that means the 12V battery is simply not able to hold charge (or unable to charge at all - rare but can happen). This happens in ICE cars too - even with alternators perfectly functioning and nothing draining it, the battery dies and therefore needs replacement.

Gotcha. Ya he couldn't access the car anymore and since this was a April 2016 (like mine - so looking like a older style car but it's actually a new refreshed car under the skin) it took Tesla quite a while to figure it out haha.

Finally received the Viofo A129 and started to install it in my Model S. I thought it might be interesting for other to see the front and back cameras on the windows. Also added photos from the driver seat position and to show how much of the camera is in view of the drivers sight on the road.

What is really nice is that they included a 2 socket 3.1A USB cigarette adapter. The device doesn't need that much power so I nice bonus to also be able to still quickly charge my phone at the same time.

I'm going to hard mount it probably this upcoming weekend. Not sure yet how but I'll share my findings.

Foto 05-12-18 14 56 28 (1).jpg Foto 05-12-18 14 56 41.jpg Foto 05-12-18 14 56 51.jpg Foto 05-12-18 14 57 26.jpg Foto 05-12-18 14 57 57.jpg Foto 05-12-18 14 58 24 (1).jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Were you able to make it work with the power source from the flip down overhead speaker cover? I tried, but it seems the camera keeps shutting off after a brief power up. I did hook up with the recommended 5V converter. Several Blackview installs tap the power from there with no problem.

Were you able to make it work with the power source from the flip down overhead speaker cover? I tried, but it seems the camera keeps shutting off after a brief power up. I did hook up with the recommended 5V converter. Several Blackview installs tap the power from there with no problem.

No, I'm going to search for a continuous power source this weekend. First I'll start with the indeed the 12-13V in the top and if not available I'll probably to go the fuse box which seems to be located in the lower right at the floor mat.

I probably first start with trying to get the cable to the back camera. I prefer to not want use the door rubbers.

Do you have a multi-meter and what voltages do you get?

Are you also installing a Viofo?

Started with hiding the wiring of the Viofo A129. I opened the grill in the roof interior. As suspected the 14V supply there is connected to the alarm.

IMG_20181225_133316.jpg

Seems I have to buy the earlier mentioned extension cable, shorten it and solder a 12-24V to 5V converter to is. However, I'm from the Netherlands to not ordering it from amazon.com but amazon.de to avoid lots of shopping costs:

- https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0058DN7B8

I fetched the cable to the rear camera first from behind the camera to the grill opening, then to the right in the roof interior, to the middle, to the back. I had to loosen the plastic interior in the rear trunk at the right and it took a while until I was able to get the wiring there.

IMG_20181225_141616.jpg IMG_20181225_134704.jpg IMG_20181225_141555.jpg

I didn't want to cut the cable and resolder it in order to feed it through te rubber connection to the trunk door. Instead I chose to just have a short loop and then hide it behind the plastic frame. Seems I forgot to take a photo from that so I'll add it later.

IMG_20181225_143936.jpg

The wire excess is hidden at the right behind the interior.

I should receive the extension cable tomorrow so probably the soldering will happen tomorrow too :)

The StarTech.com FAN4EXT12 is worthless as a extension cable to use. The connector does not fit the alarm module in the European Model S.

The connector that plugs into the intrusion module can be folded open. I'll probably try to solder the wires in that plug.

IMG_20181225_151525.jpg

The other option is to get a wire to the fuse box. I've seen a video where there is fuse box in the front lower right.

- Interior Fuse Box Location: 2012-2017 Tesla S 2017 Tesla S 90D Electric

Not sure if that is the same for a Model S 2018.

If that exists in my MS which it seems to be as its a post facelift model then this should be the layout:

- Tesla Model S fuse box layout, post refresh - Partiki

Last edited: