Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector in Residential Building Basement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Enthusiasts!

I’m thinking about getting an M3, I just love the car! The showstopper right now seems to be the “At Home” charging: I live in a Residential Building where I have my own parking space in the Basement and my apartment electric meter is located in the 8th floor.

I call a Tesla’s recommended electrician and he said that based on these conditions is not going to work. Bummer! :(

Any ideas? I don’t want to give up my dream car…

Thank you!

Al

Is there a 110V outlet in the basement garage? It's slow charging but should give you 40-50 mile range over night. I guess it depends on how far you'll drive on a daily basis. Also, get the plug share app and look for L2 chargers nearby. The included adapter that came with your car can be used for these. You could try contacting your building's management to install a 240V plug in the basement for EV charging. If they are forward thinking, they might do it.

Is there a 110V outlet in the basement garage? It's slow charging but should give you 40-50 mile range over night. I guess it depends on how far you'll drive on a daily basis. Also, get the plug share app and look for L2 chargers nearby. The included adapter that came with your car can be used for these. You could try contacting your building's management to install a 240V plug in the basement for EV charging. If they are forward thinking, they might do it.

Thank you @theothertom. I think that feasible, I'll talk to them and wait for a positive respond.

If your meter is indeed all the way up on the 8th floor, then getting something fed off of it to the basement is indeed likely infeasible.

With that being said, all hope is not lost.

EV’s are the future and all buildings need to deal with this.

So most likely, some solution off a different dedicated meter is the answer. This should involve some cost sharing mechanism.

One option is EVSE units with a billing structure built into them. Another is some kind of flat rate that funds a pool to pay for the EV charging costs. I have seen the latter in Seattle where basically the cost of trying to meter was more than what made sense. So they just charged everyone $20 a month and called it good. The EV charging was all off a dedicated meter so the HOA could make sure that the EV users were paying their fair share overall.

If your meter is indeed all the way up on the 8th floor, then getting something fed off of it to the basement is indeed likely infeasible.

With that being said, all hope is not lost.

EV’s are the future and all buildings need to deal with this.

So most likely, some solution off a different dedicated meter is the answer. This should involve some cost sharing mechanism.

One option is EVSE units with a billing structure built into them. Another is some kind of flat rate that funds a pool to pay for the EV charging costs. I have seen the latter in Seattle where basically the cost of trying to meter was more than what made sense. So they just charged everyone $20 a month and called it good. The EV charging was all off a dedicated meter so the HOA could make sure that the EV users were paying their fair share overall.

Thank you @eprosenx. I think so too, I don't myself purchasing a combustion vehicle anymore.

That's a great idea, I'll propose it to the HOA Board, it will be beneficial for all residents and even in the value of our properties. Here in NJ we have a program called "It Pay$ to Plug In" that may help with the cost of installing the charging ports.

Reactions: eprosenx
Hi Tesla Enthusiasts!

I’m thinking about getting an M3, I just love the car! The showstopper right now seems to be the “At Home” charging: I live in a Residential Building where I have my own parking space in the Basement and my apartment electric meter is located in the 8th floor.

I call a Tesla’s recommended electrician and he said that based on these conditions is not going to work. Bummer! :(

Any ideas? I don’t want to give up my dream car…

Thank you!

Al
Did that electrician visit the site, or just answer over the phone?

I know your circuit breaker panel is in the apartment, but where is your meter? Likely it is in the basement somewhere or outside where the meter reader can get to it easily, and in the apartment is just a sub panel. If so, then you may be able to have a separate sub panel installed off of your side of the meter, with a conduit to an outlet in a lockable box near your parking spot.

If the meter really is on the 8th floor, ask the super if there is an electrical chase through which you could have a new circuit run from your meter back down to the basement parking area.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and Rocky_H

I know your circuit breaker panel is in the apartment, but where is your meter? Likely it is in the basement somewhere or outside where the meter reader can get to it easily, and in the apartment is just a sub panel. If so, then you may be able to have a separate sub panel installed off of your side of the meter, with a conduit to an outlet in a lockable box near your parking spot.

If the meter really is on the 8th floor, ask the super if there is an electrical chase through which you could have a new circuit run from your meter back down to the basement parking area.

You'd be dealing with a little extra voltage drop, running the wires up to 8 and right back down. Maybe have a different meter and sub panel installed in the basement and just pay the second meters' power bill.

Thank you @brucet999, the electrician came to the building and evaluate the situation.

My meter is located also in the 8th floor, I took the readings from there every month.

You'd be dealing with a little extra voltage drop, running the wires up to 8 and right back down. Maybe have a different meter and sub panel installed in the basement and just pay the second meters' power bill.
There is no loss on the way up to floor 8 because that is on the PoCo side of the meter. Down 8 floors is 80 feet, plus whatever lateral run there would be. Might be good to go up one wire gage size.

Getting PoCo to install a separate meter in the basement would likely be impossible or at best a huge and expensive hassle. Still, if there is no accessible electrical chase, that might be worth OP checking out.

Hi,
I decided to install a ChargePoint Home Flex that it's directly connected to the building circuit, which made the whole installation much easier.
The arrangement with the HOA was to pay all my energy consumption every quarter; the ChargePoint mobile app provide this information.
Al

Attachments

• IMG_0993 (1).jpg
    IMG_0993 (1).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 169
Hi,
I decided to install a ChargePoint Home Flex that it's directly connected to the building circuit, which made the whole installation much easier.
The arrangement with the HOA was to pay all my energy consumption every quarter; the ChargePoint mobile app provide this information.
Al

Wow, that's awesome that they were willing to work with you like that!!

Reactions: almaguaz
Hi,
Al

Its nice that you were able to work with them like that. Since you are responsible for paying all electricity used at that connection, you are not concerned at all that other owners will see that plug, ignore the "private charger" sign and plug in "just for a bit" and you will need to pay?

Said another way, what are you doing beside posting that little sign which can be ignored ( and absolutely would be, by some) to avoid having to pay more money for others using your charger "for free" while you pay?

Its nice that you were able to work with them like that. Since you are responsible for paying all electricity used at that connection, you are not concerned at all that other owners will see that plug, ignore the "private charger" sign and plug in "just for a bit" and you will need to pay?

Said another way, what are you doing beside posting that little sign which can be ignored ( and absolutely would be, by some) to avoid having to pay more money for others using your charger "for free" while you pay?
Good point. I wonder if that thing has a PIN or other verification before it starts charging?

You really think this would be any sort of serious problem?

I get the idea this is a private parking garage accessible only to building residents. Sure people will do all sorts of smarmy sugar when the expectation of anonymity is high, but this seems like the sort of situation where that’s not the case.

Maybe I’m giving OP’s neighbors too much credit.

Reactions: Rocky_H