Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Installing Wall Connector is better than NEMA 14-50

Perhaps you were referring to the Mobile Connector. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired and does not come fitted with a power plug. Tesla does not provide installation instructions for attaching a power plug to the Wall Connector, so adding a power plug to the Wall Connector (which some have done) does not meet code. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector is designed to accept different power plug adapters. The NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector enables charging at 240V and up to 32 amps.
I have a Juicebox that was installed, but the electrician also installed a box with the 14-50. I'm not talking about using the cable that came with the Tesla.

cusetownusa

2022 LR5 MSM/Bl | 19"
Jan 29, 2020
Syracuse NY
I had the wall charger installed in my garage. A popular local electric company charged me $1,200. I only went with it because a quote from electricians on Tesla’s website was like $2,000.

But I feel like that’s way too much right? My house is a 2016 build and it only took him one hour to install it.

Does seem like a lot...I paid $500 and included all material (except the wall connector). Took him a couple of hours and I thought I was paying lot.

Does seem like a lot...I paid $500 and included all material (except the wall connector). Took him a couple of hours and I thought I was paying lot.
I agree seems a touch steep. I paid $750 to get mine installed and that included a requested inline disconnect. I used a smaller local electrician but he is Tesla certified instead of the big name company in the area that wanted $1800.

Understood. Thank you.
Here is what we have. Parked next to this is our Challenger, because that makes sense :)

The box has the 14-50 outlet that the Juicebox is connected to.

Attachments

• 20220713_181031.jpg
    20220713_181031.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220713_181024.jpg
    20220713_181024.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 26
Did this bill include the cost of the wall charger itself? For such a short run the 1200 price seems way too high to me. Did you get an Itemized receipt? Maybe it shows why it was so expensive.
It did not. It was done by the big name electrician in Dallas so maybe that’s a part of why it was pricey. I don’t have an itemized receipt. I asked him why it cost so much and he just said that’s the price corporate decided on.

On the bright side, I love the charger so far. Very fast.

ArtK

Jun 1, 2020
NYS
I have posted this before in much earlier threads. When I had my Tesla wall charger installed in my garage in 2020, I had wires pulled for a future Nema 14-50 at the same time from the box to the garage, since holes in ceiling/walls were already being made for the pull-throughs. It added very minimal cost to the job, and made adding the 14-50 a breeze later.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC